D700 or D600, that is the question

Fill the frame on both so the 600 doesn't get extra credit for cropability and keep the ISO at or below 4k, I doubt anyone could tell them apart
Hi Randy,

Sorry to disagree, but having had both I think that the IQ of the D600 is about 1.414 better.

It has an indefinable something which I am pretty sure would also show up when a D800 is compared with a D600. Perhaps it only shows up when you view at 100% but nevertheless it's there. For web use - no contest.

Hi, I am new to this forum. I am in a similar dilemma, I was close to getting a D800, however, the D700 does seem to be good value if found in good condition. I currently have the D300s. On one hand going for the new tech seems common sense but it does not always work that way, heck I still listen to vinyl and also have a 16 year old CD player both sound better than much newer stuff. I suppose it comes down to what you shoot and what size you print at if at all. Specs are one thing, however, images side by side may be difficult to tell apart at similar settings... I think!

Hi Randy,

Sorry to disagree, but having had both I think that the IQ of the D600 is about 1.414 better.

It has an indefinable something which I am pretty sure would also show up when a D800 is compared with a D600. Perhaps it only shows up when you view at 100% but nevertheless it's there. For web use - no contest.

Sorry guys, I have to stick with my recommendation of the D800 as it is a proven winner. I wouldn't even consider a D700, D600, or D610 as it is going backwards. Granted, a newer D800(s) is coming out and will be driving the D800 prices down even further, so it makes little sense to buy anything else. The D800's focus is almost 100% perfect combined with its decent ISO performance and dynamic range make it the only choice. The only thing that sucks about the D800 is it doesn't shoot 11 fps, which isn't a problem for most people.

Real Name
Doug
Sorry guys, I have to stick with my recommendation of the D800 as it is a proven winner. I wouldn't even consider a D700, D600, or D610 as it is going backwards. Granted, a newer D800(s) is coming out and will be driving the D800 prices down even further, so it makes little sense to buy anything else. The D800's focus is almost 100% perfect combined with its decent ISO performance and dynamic range make it the only choice. The only thing that sucks about the D800 is it doesn't shoot 11 fps, which isn't a problem for most people.
Except the small matter of an 800 to 1000 dollar difference in price.

I get a bit frustrated when folks keep recommending things that are beyond the means of the person looking for advice. It is a bit like someone asking for a good budget DSLR and then being told that anything less than a D4 is a waste.

My friend bought a used D40 for a reason (hint: money). He has used it to bring his skills into the digital age. Its work is done. He has saved some money and now what he can afford is in the $1000 to $1200 range, right where the prices of the two cameras I mentioned sit. Suggesting $2k options, while of probable technical merit, are simply impractical.

Real Name
Randy

I get a bit frustrated when folks keep recommending things that are beyond the means of the person looking for advice. It is a bit like someone asking for a good budget DSLR and then being told that anything less than a D4 is a waste.

My friend bought a used D40 for a reason (hint: money). He has used it to bring his skills into the digital age. Its work is done. He has saved some money and now what he can afford is in the $1000 to $1200 range, right where the prices of the two cameras I mentioned sit. Suggesting $2k options, while of probable technical merit, are simply impractical.

IMO it is not moving backwards anyway except in MPs......the d700 still takes awesome pics

Real Name
Randy
Hi, I am new to this forum. I am in a similar dilemma, I was close to getting a D800, however, the D700 does seem to be good value if found in good condition. I currently have the D300s. On one hand going for the new tech seems common sense but it does not always work that way, heck I still listen to vinyl and also have a 16 year old CD player both sound better than much newer stuff. I suppose it comes down to what you shoot and what size you print at if at all. Specs are one thing, however, images side by side may be difficult to tell apart at similar settings... I think!

12mp is way more than most need
The d700 focuses almost as fast as the d3 and is a great camera that does very well at high ISO

Real Name
Randy
Several comments on focusing performance being a plus for the D700..... The focusing technology is obviously different, which is to be expected with such a generational difference in the cameras. But, what is the real, practical performance difference?

What about the D610 versus the D600 would make you choose the D610 over the D700 but not the D600? Other than the new shutter and a claimed improvement in AWB, what does the 610 offer over the 600?

Thanks to all for the great discussion and information. Very helpful.

Fear of oil

Understand, but I see no need for your frustration. When I made my recommendation of the D800 I didn't realize their were such rigid budgetary constraints as none were mentioned. I did get a better understanding of what you were trying to say after you said "Assume that even a used D800 is out-of-budget" which I now know is the case. And possibly, not knowing your friend's financial limitations, I could safely say if it were mentioned to him/her as an option he/she might say I like the idea and hold off a few months until the funds become available and the price drops even more. It's always good to have all options on the table up front as in is better than kicking one's self in the butt after the fact. And if the choice of selecting between the two cameras you mention is set in stone, you probably knew the answer before asking. Just saying.

So I'll pin my colours to the mast. I had a d600. I shot 16k with it in less than a year. Small(er), light, superb image quality. I swapped it for a used d700 with grip and 3 nikon batteries.
Why?
For MY shooting I needed consistent focusing performance in terms of acquisition and tracking for high speed subjects. In my opinion the d600 isn't as repeatable as the d700. I also use the extreme of the 51 focusing points. At the time I didn't think the positioning of the d600 focusing points would be an issue for me but it was.

Pro d600

Better auto white balance
Better colour reproduction sooc
Cropability
U1, U2 recall modes
Smaller and lighter
Movies

Pro d700

More robust body construction
Focusing performance
Focus points covering a wider area
Better positioning of natural af on button
With grip fps

ISO performance is equal up to about 5000 ISO. D600 marginally better at pixel level beyond this.

I'm not going to diss the d800 recommendations above particularly if,they are d800 owners/users but for roughly the same price you'd have both a d600/d700 combo or d600 or d700 with some new useful glass...and wait for used d800 prices to halve.....

I've owned the D700 and sold it to buy a D3s. I presently own a D3, D3s and D600. I think the above quote is a fair evaluation and I agree with it. If it's going to be used for sports or birding, go with the D700. If it's for general use like landscapes and portraits, choose the D600.

I'm going to post an opposition reply to the most recommended advise here. My experience is with the D600 and haven't used a D700, so my blind spot is the same, only different from yours.

If your friend will be using only one camera, the user interface on the 600 is fully capable of producing fine photos. The image quality is phenomenal. One of my first excursions with the camera was to a poorly lit car museum, I had the camera set on ISO 400. When I got home I was really disappointed with the noise seen in the photos. Then I realized the camera was on auto ISO and they were produced at ISO 3200 (a case of user error and not knowing the tool). While the photos were really bad at ISO 400, at 3200 they were amazing. Noise content was only a fraction of what I would have expected at that level and the dynamic range and color fidelity were comparable to what I would have expected at ISO 400.

No mention was made of perferred use for the camera so my experience may not be applicable. That said, the D600 has a reputation I don't think it fully deserves once a new shutter is installed.

Real Name
Doug
Understand, but I see no need for your frustration. When I made my recommendation of the D800 I didn't realize their were such rigid budgetary constraints as none were mentioned. I did get a better understanding of what you were trying to say after you said "Assume that even a used D800 is out-of-budget" which I now know is the case. And possibly, not knowing your friend's financial limitations, I could safely say if it were mentioned to him/her as an option he/she might say I like the idea and hold off a few months until the funds become available and the price drops even more. It's always good to have all options on the table up front as in is better than kicking one's self in the butt after the fact. And if the choice of selecting between the two cameras you mention is set in stone, you probably knew the answer before asking. Just saying.
It is so hard to say what you mean the way you mean to say it under ideal circumstances. When the communication medium is the written word delivered long distance via the web.... well, I just what to say that I meant no offense and genuinely appreciate ALL the advice. I should have been clearer about the budget in the initial post. The two cameras aren't "set in stone" but the dollar limitation is.

My friend has the benefit of being able to handle both cameras since both are local sales. I thought he might go for the D700 since, unlike me, he has big hands. But, he liked the D600 better (maybe because of his experience with the D40). With a little old fashioned haggling he got the price down about $50 less than the owner of the D700 was willing to go. So, the verdict is in and a D600 has found a very good home.

Thanks for all the help.

Real Name
Doug
I'm going to post an opposition reply to the most recommended advise here. My experience is with the D600 and haven't used a D700, so my blind spot is the same, only different from yours.

If your friend will be using only one camera, the user interface on the 600 is fully capable of producing fine photos. The image quality is phenomenal. One of my first excursions with the camera was to a poorly lit car museum, I had the camera set on ISO 400. When I got home I was really disappointed with the noise seen in the photos. Then I realized the camera was on auto ISO and they were produced at ISO 3200 (a case of user error and not knowing the tool). While the photos were really bad at ISO 400, at 3200 they were amazing. Noise content was only a fraction of what I would have expected at that level and the dynamic range and color fidelity were comparable to what I would have expected at ISO 400.

No mention was made of perferred use for the camera so my experience may not be applicable. That said, the D600 has a reputation I don't think it fully deserves once a new shutter is installed.
See reply to Kingfisher above. The bad rep of the D600 worked to my friend's benefit. Got a really good price on a camera with a new shutter.

Latest threads

Top Bottom