D700 price

Discussion in 'Nikon FX DSLR' started by Frits, Jul 1, 2008.

1. I looked at the newly released D700 and find it to be a very interesting release (not for me though). I liked everything about it until I saw its price.
    In my opinion the days of the $ 3,000 pro-sumer bodies are gone. I would have guessed for it to be between $ 2,000 and $ 2,500 to start with (mind you, it will get there fast enough :smile:) .
    I could see the D3's price when it was released, but the D700 seems overpriced to me.

That said, this is just an observation. I will be clicking with my D2x for a good while to come - and happily so. I was ecstatic when I got it and, guess what, it works as well today as when I got it.

2. pforsell

pforsell

Jan 15, 2008
    Looking back at Nikon's track record with prosumer bodies, I'd guess the first ones cost $3000 because DBS, BGLOD and banding are included. After those are all sold the good ones will have their price set to $2500.

</sarcasm off>

:biggrin:

3. this is me

this is me

Feb 10, 2007
    MA
    I think it's reasonably priced. You get basically a D3 in a small package.
    If it has pro AF then it's a steal IMO.
    Couple this with a D300, you get 12MP in both FX and DX @8fps(w/battery grip) for a price of less than a D3. The best combo in the market to date!
    If I've waited for the FX format and didn't jumped on the D3 last december, this D700 would be a no brainer.
    No, I don't think $3k is too much to ask considering what it is being offered.

4. Jeff Mims

Jeff Mims

May 25, 2005
    Mississippi
    Excellent point!

I'd be hard-pressed to find a better combo than this. In fact, I may have this combo myself. :smile:

5. It's 100x the camera the 5D was when introduced, and cheaper.

$2200 would be great, but I think they know they can price it at $3000 and people will buy.

6. drjiveturkey

drjiveturkey Guest

People will buy it at $3000...then resell it for $4000 b/c there will be a long waiting list!!

Seriously though, $3000-$3300 would be the right price. That's smack in the middle of the D700 and D3

7. Adorama has it listed for $2999, fwiw.

8. david7703

david7703

Mar 27, 2008
    melrose ma
    Yeah! What Nick said :wink:

see Nick, sometimes we do agree :p :Shocked:

9. Canadian price is 10% higher as expected.....Cd$3299.95.

10. $3,000, that's only 100 rolls of film and processing.

11. davewales

davewales

Feb 18, 2008
    Wales
    Uk price, available at £2000..that's about $4000.

12. Julien

Julien

Jul 28, 2006
    Paris, France
    I don't even want to think of the french price either :actions1:

13. Gary Mayo

Gary Mayo Guest

The price is to high for what you are getting. IMHO.

By the time you add pro batteries and a charger, the price you end up with is almost at the D3 level anyway.

I would purchase another D3 before I would get a D700.

14. Nchesher

Nchesher

Jul 7, 2006
    Lansing,MI
    Why? Most of us have plenty of ENEL3-E's and a couple chargers anyways. The battery with the D700 would give me 6.

15. Taking exchange rates into consideration we pay around US$4100 here in the Netherlands so Nikon is ripping us off again. Even with taxes a US-imported camera is around 400 euros cheaper.

16. smodak

smodak

Jun 11, 2007
    Franklin MA US
    Not everybody needs a grip either..I actually like the smaller bodies much better.

17. Photomedium

Photomedium

May 21, 2008
    London, UK
    Try RGB tech ;)  They have it for pre-order at £1689 (which, once you consider VAT is included, is about the same as the tax-free prices quoted in the US). Those in the Eurozone might consider a weekend trip - since that's a bit over 2100 Euros.

That company doesn't always have the best prices around, but my observation is that they almost always have the best entry prices around. Their pre-order price on the D3 was in the £2800 region, whilst others were asking £3199.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 1, 2008
  18. TonyBeach

TonyBeach Guest

Every time I read someone speculating about absurdly low prices like that, I chuckled. Just look at the over the top response here and the obvious demand that will generate for this camera. Why would Nikon want to sell it for less than people are willing to pay for it?

19. Triggaaar

Triggaaar

Jun 15, 2008
    England
    Gary, It's been pointed out to you that many people don't need the grip. And those that do will then have the option of going light if they want. They will also have a pop-up flash, self cleaning sensor and a saving over $1000 (the D3 is not likely to be within $1k of the D700 after the D700 has been out a couple of months).

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 2, 2008
  20. Which peeves me to no end considering the exchange rate lately.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.