1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

D700 Review

Discussion in 'Nikon FX DSLR Forum' started by rlacy, Jul 22, 2008.

1. rlacy

rlacy

Apr 22, 2007
    San Diego
    Michael Reichmann has posted a review of the D700 on his Luminous Landscape website. Here is the link: http://luminous-landscape.com/whatsnew/

Apparently he has had a D700 and been using it for about a week. His review is what I would call non-technical and is more from a user's point of view--which I enjoy. He compares the D700 to the D3 and the D300 and offers some insights into its use.

If you are interested in a D700 it might be worth a read.

Ron

2. lmatney

lmatney

Oct 25, 2007
    Goodyear, AZ
    Thanks for the link Ron.

3. It's okay, I would of liked a better AF comparison between the D700 and D3.

4. Steinar

Steinar

Aug 16, 2007
    Denmark

Thank you, Ron.

I agree, there is no real AF comparison - we still don´t know if the AF is on D300 or D3 level.

5. triples2008

triples2008 Guest

Thank you....

Always good to read these things.... I suspect from what I have read that the D700 is equal to the D3 in IQ- just some functionality diferences. I expect the AF, and all to be the same. Time will tell.

John

6. Thanks for the link!

7. A tester at www.imaging-resource.com (sic?) indicated the AF speed was more comparable to that of a D3 than D300 - FIW.

8. Tosh

Tosh

May 6, 2005
    NY
    The tester made his statement with respect to Auto Area AF.
    I've never used that. Does anyone know whether that AF mode would be representative of how the camera performs in other AF modes?

9. I think Nikon is positioning themselves for the upgrade of the D3 to the D3X. With the D700, a D3X at $6,000 or a little bit more will make sense. And, that is why the D700 has so much of the D3 built into it.

10. According to Steve Hiner, the guy in charge of Nikon DSLR technical systems, the metering, AF, flash systems on the D700 and D3 are exactly the same. He insists there are very few differences in the two systems and AF in not one of them.

11. Thank you

great read - I now want a D700 to match my D3... As soon as I get home I decided to sell the D2Hs and D300 ... Goners in favor of a D700 :biggrin:

Perhaps... a D3X in the future when if comes out but a D3 and D700 would be plenty for me...

12. Thanks for the link. I've come around to the idea of selling one of my D300s and having a D700/D300 combo and I was happy to see that I others suggesting that as well. Now I need to decide to jump into the feeding frenzy for one of the early cameras or wait until things quite down a bit. Hmm....

13. NPA2008

NPA2008

Apr 15, 2008
    USA
    Identical flash systems? Something is wrong there. The D700 has a built-in flash and the D3 has none. From what I recall there are differences in some of the other items, too. Maybe someone else can clarify these differences?

14. That may be true but it is tricky. The AF systems are the same, but they may have different processors to drive the system. If so the D700 will have this hitch before acquiring AF as the D300 has.

We need a trusted, independent reviewer to make a comparison, not statements ny Nikon nor reviews done quickly.

15. rlacy

rlacy

Apr 22, 2007
    San Diego
    D700 and D3X

While I was very interested in his review of the D700 (and full of lust for it),
    I found this quote interesting. I know there has been speculation in a lot of places about the next camera in the D3 series, but MR speaks of this--the D3X-- as a foregone conclusion. I know Thom Hogan has also hinted that before Photokina, Nikon will make announcements that show how much more aggressive they have become in terms of bodies and lense's. If this quote from the MR article is correct, and a D3X is in the near future, what great body choices we will have. Pretty exciting stuff for Nikon users!

"If one looks at the D3 on its own what we see is a brilliant camera with some unique capabilities, but one which will soon be eclipsed by its forthcoming big brother, the D3x (assuming that's what it will be called). Though the D3x will not have the high frame rates and remarkable high ISO capabilities of the D3, due to its class-leading high resolution (likely 24MP) it will become the camera of choice for many photographers seeking the top-level Nikon body. This will almost certainly reduce the D3's appeal to all except the professional sports and photojournalist markets, that camera's natural constituency."

Guess the message is: sit down, buckle your seat belt, and hold on--it could be an interesting ride for the next few months and years.

Ron

16. madone

madone

Jan 9, 2006
    Connecticut

sit down, buckle your seat belt, hold on, AND get your checkbook ready :biggrin:

17. its a landscaper site ....

18. rlacy

rlacy

Apr 22, 2007
    San Diego
    Get Your Check Book Ready

Madone-

Great addition! I am sure you are right--if you have NAS--this won't be cheap!!:smile:

Ron

19. One way to test the D700 in the AF department, is to shoot it with a telephoto lense such as a 500mm and then focus it on a low contrast area to see if it'll lock on. Also trying to focus on a subject in low light with a 24-70 from infinity is good way to test the AF. Flagship bodies do a much better job focusing on such objects, while the second tier bodies don't. If the D700 can match the D3 in such test, then it has my approval.

20. Landscape? You mean that stuff that's out of focus when I shoot my models? :tongue::biggrin::wink:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.