D700 Samples

That is interesting - some says, that one of the reasons the Canon 5D is so sharp is because of a weak AA-filter (do not know if it is right)

G

Gary Mayo

If the filter is different, that is the only reason I have seen so far to purchase one.

If the filter is different, that is the only reason I have seen so far to purchase one.

Gary, your comments are nothing but negative. The fact of the matter is that there is a demand for a full frame camera and not everyone requires the additional weight, features or cost of a D3.

If the image quality is identical and people are happy with what is being offered, then leave it be.

Regarding the AA filter, there is no qualitative evidence that says the AA filter is actually different, this is simply coming from a few people who have looked at the posted photos.

Found link on DPR. People are saying that the AA filter appears to be weaker then the D3. I don't own a D3 so I can't comment.

http://dc.watch.impress.co.jp/cda/review/2008/07/03/8782.html

http://www.gschneiderphoto.com/d700samples/

I don't care one bit about that... and i really don't see why anyone would really. Doesn't everyone sharpen in post?? :eek::eek:

I do agree there is a big time market for this body for sure though. If I didn't have a D3 I would strongly consider it.

I assume this is the Canon 5D successor killer... :smile:

A while back i wanted to move to canon - to use the 5d and f4 lenses. Then somebody said Nikon is going to release a lighter body full frame that would cheaper in price than D3....I did not switch...boy am I glad that I did not...D700 seals the deal for me. I have not put my name into any Nikon camera wait list ..ever. D700 changed that .. I put my name on the wait list the day it was announced.

A lot of people are making nagative comment about D700..if you read carefully you will see most of them own D3/D300...so it is easy to figure out where the negativity is coming from..to me D700 is my dream camera (on paper).

A lot of people are making nagative comment about D700..if you read carefully you will see most of them own D3/D300...so it is easy to figure out where the negativity is coming from..to me D700 is my dream camera (on paper).

Don't lump us all in the "negative nelly" group. :biggrin:

I think it's an awesome addition to the top-end Nikon line. I hope someone on the Cafe gets one soon and starts posting some images. I'm really looking forward to Nute getting one!

... Doesn't everyone sharpen in post?? :eek::eek:

As you said I don't care either be it stronger or weaker or the same. The post sharpening is no answer to lost details, you cannot sharpen what isn't there in the first place.

Post sharpening help mask the lack of sharpness but it does not bring back the detail. About 98.5% of all images I see posted in this and similar sites are so terribly oversharpened with 4 pixel wide halos that it makes my teeth hurt and ears ring.

Would be nice to have a one month "mime" of non-post-sharpened pictures only. Smooth lines and curves without staircase effect, soft gradations without awful banding and pixelation, eyelashes that actually look like human hair and not barbed wire, cat whiskers that don't look like a glowing jedi sword with halos twice the width of the whisker.

JMHO.

Gary, your comments are nothing but negative.

There seems to be some hostility for want of a better word towards the D700 from some D3 owners.

I can understand why this is so but think it should be held in check and they should just enjoy what they bought.

I will be sticking with my D200 but the D700 is a compelling candidate for me as what it lacks from the D3 are things I most certainly do not need and most importantly, it is smaller.

I bought the Grip for my D200 and have only used it a few times and it makes the camera just too bulky for my liking. Any camera with a built in grip is out of the question for me.

In summary, there are several reasons to buy the D700 and a lot of people will buy them. I can see though that there is no point swapping a D3 for it but that is a different issue and should not result in the D700 getting talked down.

Don't lump us all in the "negative nelly" group. :biggrin:
I know you've said that with a grin, but just to be clear, I think the point is that people being negative about the D700 have a D3 or D300, not that people with a D3 or D300 are all negative about the D700.

N

Nuteshack

if it has a weaker AA filter the files will have more "bite" to them ...d3 to d700 might be kind of like the d50 to d40. hopefully (for d3 owners) not like the d70 to d50.

i wouldn't be at all surprised if the d700 doesn't give us a slightly better file than the d3 ..fact, that's my best guess!

..(bet my right nute on it) ..lol
;-)))

N

Nuteshack

There seems to be some hostility for want of a better word towards the D700 from some D3 owners.

I can understand why this is so but think it should be held in check and they should just enjoy what they bought.

I will be sticking with my D200 but the D700 is a compelling candidate for me as what it lacks from the D3 are things I most certainly do not need and most importantly, it is smaller.

I bought the Grip for my D200 and have only used it a few times and it makes the camera just too bulky for my liking. Any camera with a built in grip is out of the question for me.

In summary, there are several reasons to buy the D700 and a lot of people will buy them. I can see though that there is no point swapping a D3 for it but that is a different issue and should not result in the D700 getting talked down.

i don't wana grip, built in or otherwise. i wanted a mini d3 and nikon delivered ...it's even gotta built in fuz buster -> God bless em:Love:
:cool:

I currently own Canon gear, a 40D 1D Mark III, 24-70, 70-200 2.8 IS, 85 1.2L, 300L and some flashes.

I had my D700 pre ordered 2 days before the announcement and all my Canon gear is up for sale.

I think each company has their plus and minuses, but Nikon has released what may be the perfect camera for me. The IQ of the D3, the body and weight of a 40D/D300, with the features of my 1D.

5 FPS is enough for me in 99.99% of my shooting. 24mm on a FF/FX sensor is plenty wide for me. 51 point AF a printable ISO 6400, light weight (compared to my 1D) 1+2 warranty on the body and 5 years on the glass. And the fact that the grip has an extra control pad(or whatever Nikon calls the focus point selector) so I can actually reach it in vertical orientation with my short fingers.

With Nikon offering all that Im gonna come over and play at your playground.

I currently own Canon gear, a 40D 1D Mark III, 24-70, 70-200 2.8 IS, 85 1.2L, 300L and some flashes.

I had my D700 pre ordered 2 days before the announcement and all my Canon gear is up for sale.

Wow.

Welcome to the café. Your lens and gear collection looks really nice indeed and replacing all that with Nikon items won't be cheap although the Canon lenses hold their value really well.

I am sure you have considered the 5D at some point but the decided against it. What looks very probable is the announcement of 5D successor (5D Mk II, 7D ?) at Photokina in September. If I were you I'd wait until then before selling any of the lenses just in case. It might be easier on your pocketbook as the new Canon could very well one-up the D700 specs... it's been cooking 3 years.

Anyhow welcome to the cafe, enjoy your stay and post some pics.

Latest threads

Top Bottom