D700 scam

Last week, I randomly checked the price of used D700's on Amazon. To my surprise, someone had listed a used D700 for $1500. It was an established seller - albeit normally a toy seller - who had excellent feedback.

Sounded too good to be true, but I still contacted the seller through Amazon - where did they get the camera, how many clicks, etc. About 12 hours later, I get this response:

"Sorry but I've been getting dozens of messages regarding the camera, so for the sake of my schedule I'll only discuss via email.
Let me know what you need in my e-mail: geddiestoys (@) hotmail.com
I assure you communication will never be an obstacle between us.
Please let me know asap."

At this point, I decided this was DEFINITELY too good to be true. And, sure enough, the following day, I got this email:

"Unfortunately I don't have a camera for sale. Something happened yesterday that even Amazon themselves can't explain. I am a children's toy store but for some odd reason yesterday 3 cameras and a zoom lens were listed on my account."

Buyers, beware.

I saw something similar here this week on Craigslist in San Diego. D700 + 14-24mm 2.8 for $1500. I never followed up on it as I suspected something wrong.

also some time on craigslist specially when you reply back you recive email few min Later " Sorry i have already sold it mean while you can check this site i bought it from here for almost 1000$ try you luck . click here http......... "

imho, if you fall for one of those scams...........you deserve it!!!
especially if you're a photography enthusiast, you know better!! you know better than that!!!.......

you're all familiar with the normal prices of most cameras and lenses.......if it looks too good to be true, it is!!!

A lot of legitimate amazon sellers have had their accounts hacked and someone uses them to list high end Nikon gear at low prices. Not sure exactly how they profit from this, since payment through Amazon would be easy to reverse once the scam was uncovered, but maybe they try to convince you to use a scam-friendly payment service.

I just like to have fun with post like that on craigslist LOL
makes me happy and wasting someone else time is fun

my favorite is Africa uncle. Once I got seller to reply back to me with same email twice

I saw something similar here this week on Craigslist in San Diego. D700 + 14-24mm 2.8 for $1500. I never followed up on it as I suspected something wrong.
I've seen that one on Vancouver Craigslist as well... as well as Nikonians which really surprised me.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom