D700 strap

I love the D700, but the new neck strap is a killer.
It seems thinner than previous Nikon camera branded straps and has a "rubberized" backing.
It's very uncomfortable on bare skin.
Definitely not fun to wear in hot summer months.

Virginia
aka beaucamera

I'm curious of suggestions too. I used to use the Op/Tech Pro Loop Strap with snap-in connectors, and always worried about the connectors as the weak link. Couldn't bring myself to put it on the D700+24-70 combo.

I just received two Nikon AN-6 straps and put them on. They are thick in the middle and then get thinner as it goes along. They do have the rubberized backing in the thickest part but overall they seem like a good option. Come in yellow or maroon(Wine) color.

2767857849_7ee9c1159e_o.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

I just received two Nikon AN-6 straps and put them on. They are thick in the middle and then get thinner as it goes along. They do have the rubberized backing in the thickest part but overall they seem like a good option. Come in yellow or maroon(Wine) color.

2767857849_7ee9c1159e_o.jpg

I have never seen those before! I really like the wine.

I would suggest the R-Strap though. I have been in love with my RS-2 since day one.

http://www.blackrapid.com/

I now have a Crumpler Industry Disgrace strap on my D3......very comfortble and padded. $25.

CAMERA%20STRAP.[500x500]

I wouldn't worry with the Op/tech Pro. I carried an F5 with 80-200 f2.8 around all the time (in Europe etc) and never once had a problem. I was about to order one for my D700 since I never liked the Nikon straps (but keep having to use them anyway since I don't seem to have enough of the Op/tech vs # of cameras (I have 1 strap and many cameras)! I have even swapped the Op/tech to other cameras when the F5 found less use.

Now I am wondering about this RS/2 strap (sorry if I got the name wrong) I saw it mentioned in other threads.. anyone own both and can advise?

I'm curious of suggestions too. I used to use the Op/Tech Pro Loop Strap with snap-in connectors, and always worried about the connectors as the weak link. Couldn't bring myself to put it on the D700+24-70 combo.

West coast of FL (formerly Westchester County, NY)
I always used the OpTech straps until just recently when I switched over to Black Rapid - not because I was disatisfied with the Op Tech's, but rather because the Black Rapid was more suited to the type of shooting I do most when using a shoulder strap which is sideline sports.

But the point I wanted to make was that Op-Tech is a truly stand up company. When the neoprene Op Tech's first came out, the neoprene was fastened to the web part of the strap using a plastic clip. I was walking in town one day many years ago with my F5 and 28-70 on my shoulder when I heard a sickening thud. I looked down and my F5 with lens was on the ground. The strap failed, not at the QR point, but rather at the plastic clip where the neoprene was attached to the webbing.

The 28-70 suffered some pretty good damage and I took both the lens and the F5 to Nikon Melville who repaired both at a cost of somewhere in the $250 range, if I recall.
I took the invoice from Nikon and sent it to Op Tech along with the broken strap and a note explaining what had happened. Less than one week later, I had a check in my hand for the full amount of the repair together with a replacement strap. I might add that the replacement strap had a new design where the neoprene was stitched to the webbing instead of clipped to it with a plastic "pressure" clip.

That is what I call GREAT customer service. No ifs ands or buts - just a fast refund with no questions asked. Obviously, OpTech was aware of a problem with the older design since the replacement had strong stitching where the two fabrics were joined, but I still tip my hat to the folks at Op Tech who decided that making good on my repair was the right thing to do.

Too many times companies do anything they can to deny responsibility and try to weasel out of "loss" situations; I just wanted to relate the story here to assure the OP'er that not only is the Op Tech strap a great strap, but should there be a problem, management steps right up to the plate.

Companies like OpTech that stand behind their products deserve to be applauded and cited for their efforts.

P

Paul.r.lindqvist

Optech, for my cameras.

Nikons straps are not very well padded, and no quick connectors. Add the fact it says Nikon doesnt make it any better.

R

RGB Bob

Recently coming from Canon, I thought the strap was a bit on the narrow side as well. Although, I never find myself actually putting the camera around my neck. It's either on my shoulder or the strap is wrapped around my arm while shooting.

Another vote for Optech, though I do admit that somedays I wonder about the QR clips. But they've held solid even with the 80-200 hanging so I'd say they are pretty good. Probably will always stick with Optech from here on out.

Mine came from Japan, complements of The Dude, when he was visiting Tokyo. It's SUPER wide and grey and black. I modified the ends and used the bottom half of a Domke strap with the swivel joints so that the strap doesn't get twisted and tangled and it has the quick release as well. Works wonderfully. :biggrin:

Similar to this, but wider.
85a1_1.jpg

I use Op-Tech Classic on the D300's and Op-Tech Super Classic on the D3 and Canon HD Video Cam. Op-Tech Pro straps are also great, but when I started carrying 2 bodies the pro strap is too wide to "share my shoulder" with a second strap. I tried Classic / Super Classic and switched to them. I buy pro Loops with the quick connector and outfit all bodies and large lenses with the pro Loops. I also use a spare set of loops with connectors on 2) photo vests.

Latest threads

Top Bottom