D700 Tips and Tricks - Official Thread

Commodorefirst

Admin/Moderator
Administrator
Real Name
Wade
Bandnuts brought up the fact that we don't have a sticky for the D700 camera area like we do the D3 or D300, so lets start one here.

Post your D700 tips and suggestions for folks in this thread. After some replies I will move it to the top and sticky the thread.

Have at it.

Cheers,

Wade

While I don't like going first and I sure don't qualify as an expert, I thought I'd post a correction to one of my first D700 concerns.... Nikon Capture NX won't read D700 files.

Capture NX 2 will work with the D700, but the older version will not. I'm not ready to upgrade, AND I'm darn sure not ready to spend another $100 after spending so much for the camera. :Teeth: For now, I'll save my pennies to buy glass.

A gent by the name of Bill Claff wrote a dedicated Windows command-line tool that will change the EXIF from D700 to D3, allowing the older versions of Capture to open NEF files.

It's located about one page down here: http://home.comcast.net/~nikond70/

There's instructions as well on the same page. While no one will warrant anything of this nature, I've done this on my D700 files and it's worked like a champ.....

PS: CS3 opens the D700 NEF files without issue..... Go figure....

Coming from a D200, my #1 tip is: For the first time, go ahead and use auto ISO! The noise is so much better that it will all work out for the best if you do (don't set auto to more than say 1600 to 3200, though).

P.S., not only does CS3 open D700 NEF files, but it does so with significantly better results than NX2 (thus far).

I suggest setting the button on the multi-selector to increase the image during playback to 100% for those of you who like to check for sharpness.

While I don't like going first and I sure don't qualify as an expert, I thought I'd post a correction to one of my first D700 concerns.... Nikon Capture NX won't read D700 files.

Capture NX 2 will work with the D700, but the older version will not. I'm not ready to upgrade, AND I'm darn sure not ready to spend another $100 after spending so much for the camera. :Teeth: For now, I'll save my pennies to buy glass.

A gent by the name of Bill Claff wrote a dedicated Windows command-line tool that will change the EXIF from D700 to D3, allowing the older versions of Capture to open NEF files.

It's located about one page down here: http://home.comcast.net/~nikond70/

There's instructions as well on the same page. While no one will warrant anything of this nature, I've done this on my D700 files and it's worked like a champ.....

PS: CS3 opens the D700 NEF files without issue..... Go figure....

I think that it is a sad marketing strategy of Nikon to see that D700 images are not compatible with Capture NX (at least!).
Over time I have purchased Capture and Capture NX (besides a small fortune on other Nikon gear). Now, if I wish to get a D700, I am forced to get NX2 - this while technically the D700 files work fine with NX (there are ways around, through EXIF modification).

A black eye to Nikon in my book.

Coming from a D300, here's a tip or a change in sharpening. While I haven't yet found my personal "Sweet Spot" (both in camera and in CS3) for pics taken with the D700, I can say that the bar has moved a bit. It appears that I'm able to push it up a notch or two and still have great noise and IQ.

In Picture Control, I've moved my sharpen from one or two notches below mid-range (what I liked with the D300) to one notch above mid range. Those that shoot JPG (or JPG/RAW as I do), can push the envelop a bit higher and results are still clean. If I have to soften it up, I just go back to the RAW file and make adjustments there.

Only tip I can give is to learn how to use the INFO screen... it is so quick to change your settings through it, no more fumbling through menus. I'm amazed at how quickly I can change my settings for shooting, reassign function buttons, etc... it's one of my favorite things with the D700.

If I had a D300 or D3, I would be bugging Nikon to put this feature in those models on the next software update.

Commodorefirst

Admin/Moderator
Administrator
Real Name
Wade
I saw this tip on another web site, and it is the same pic settings I use for my D3,

Pic control for wildlife/birds:

Standard +1 saturation, Auto WB, sharpening to 4 in camera, aRGB colorspace. This gives real nice colors on plants and wildlife without blowing extreme colors.

If you do have problems with red, try neutral, saturation -1, auto WB, aRGB colorspace.

Cheers,

Wade

come on, post your D700 tips. I know a lot of you have them, share your pic settings

I assigned my FUNCTION button to bring up the virtual horizon. Although, it will not display it on the large LCD screen, but on the smaller top LCD screen instead. Very handy!

to switch picture controls on the fly:

I assign the function button to "access top item in my menu", in my menu I have select picture control, this lets me switch between various picture controls on the fly depending on the subject people/landscape. I have assigned my DOP preview to virtual horizon.

Also, to scroll through the menus fast go to custom settings/controls/f9/Menus and playback and set that to on.

Only tip I can give is to learn how to use the INFO screen... it is so quick to change your settings through it, no more fumbling through menus. I'm amazed at how quickly I can change my settings for shooting, reassign function buttons, etc... it's one of my favorite things with the D700.

If I had a D300 or D3, I would be bugging Nikon to put this feature in those models on the next software update.

Thanks for this tip... This one works wonderful and gives you fast access to a ton of settings. I'm going to move some of the items out of "My Menu" because they can be accessed via "Info". That will give me more room to add stuff to the My Menu screen. With access to about 15 to 20 items with just a touch or two, I'll be so confused I'll just start using my wife's D40!!! :tongue:

I assigned my FUNCTION button to bring up the virtual horizon. Although, it will not display it on the large LCD screen, but on the smaller top LCD screen instead. Very handy!

I doubt I'll be using the horizon much for taking pictures, but it's sure one cool thing to click on when showing the camera to your friends. :biggrin:

to switch picture controls on the fly:

I assign the function button to "access top item in my menu", in my menu I have select picture control, this lets me switch between various picture controls on the fly depending on the subject people/landscape. I have assigned my DOP preview to virtual horizon.

Also, to scroll through the menus fast go to custom settings/controls/f9/Menus and playback and set that to on.

Ahh yes, that does seem to be a more efficient thing to do :biggrin:

Bracketing Bursts

When I'm shooting bracketed exposures by hand, I prefer to use a burst so that the framing doesn't change, and minimize the time between the shots for subject/cloud movement, etc.

You can always switch into CL shooting mode for continuous low speed advance, but I find it is easier to just do the following:

Assign custom function f5 FUNC. button to BKT (Bracketing burst)
Assign custom function f5 FUNC. button + dials to BKT (Auto bracketing)

Now when I'm holding the camera I press the FUNC button with my left hand and use the dials to quickly set the bracketing amount and levels. Then I hold the FUNC button down and press and hold the shutter to burst off my entire bracket.

When I'm shooting bracketed exposures by hand, I prefer to use a burst so that the framing doesn't change, and minimize the time between the shots for subject/cloud movement, etc.

You can always switch into CL shooting mode for continuous low speed advance, but I find it is easier to just do the following:

Assign custom function f5 FUNC. button to BKT (Bracketing burst)
Assign custom function f5 FUNC. button + dials to BKT (Auto bracketing)

Now when I'm holding the camera I press the FUNC button with my left hand and use the dials to quickly set the bracketing amount and levels. Then I hold the FUNC button down and press and hold the shutter to burst off my entire bracket.

Don't forget that custom function f5 is on the Quick Settings menu in the Info screen... incredibly fast to change.

It's a shame you can't assign the FN button to access the ISO setting.

The ISO button is tricky to use unless you take your eye away from the viewfinder and your left hand off the lens.

It would be much easier if the ISO setting could be changed with the right hand (e.g. via the FN button).

Latest threads

Top Bottom