1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

D700 Vs D3

Discussion in 'Nikon FX DSLR Forum' started by mike158158, Aug 4, 2008.

1. mike158158

mike158158

Nov 27, 2007
    Denver
    Here in the next month I am either going to be getting the D700 or D3. I originally was going to get D3 but now looking at the specs for the D700 i am considering that. What I am looking for most is about is highest ISO with minimal noise which I know the D3 is better at. My question is how good the D700 is when it comes to the ISO and as a whole if the D700 is good enough to get that and i can save myself a little bit of money or just get the D3 anyway? Thanks for any input.

2. ???

I havent seen any real data, that implicate the D700 being anything but equal when it comes to high iso performance compared to the D3. They use the same sensor, the diffrence (if any) is minimal and due to the internal processing (software).

3. From what I've seen they're the same. I chose the D700 over the D3 (and had the money for either) because they can share batteries, grip and are lighter weight without the grip if I need that option. I bought a Beast with the difference, and it makes a nice addition to my little bag of gear.

4. Phillip Ino

Phillip Ino

Nov 26, 2007
    Austin
    When in doubt, go for the top of the line.

5. scooptdoo

scooptdoo Guest

700 is having banding issues.if thats not a problem for you then by all means save 1500 bucks and get the 700

6. jimeast

jimeast

Mar 17, 2008
    Metrowest. MA
    D3 vs D700

If you will use the D700 exclusively with the grip, I'd get the D3. If you like the idea of a smaller camera and onboard flash I'd get the D700.

I have the D3 and it's amazing, but the D700 would probably have been more appropriate for me. (Not that I have ever been appropriate... but a smaller camera for me would be a good thing, onboard flash would also be welcome.) With that said I still feel good every time my D3 releases its shutter.

If you can, get your hands on both and see if one is decisively better for your taste.

7. this is me

this is me

Feb 10, 2007
    MA
    I'm with Phillip. :biggrin:

8. dwind

dwind Guest

Do you need glass to go with the camera? You can get a d700 + 24 - 70 or 14 - 24 for the price of a d3.

9. I looked thorugh your gallery to see what you shoot and since you shoot Sport I think You should consider the D3, if you spend a lot of time on it. Otherwise the D700 with a Grip will be just fine and will give you the same IQ I'm sure....

The aforesaid argument about a D700 and a new lens as well is a good one.... However the price of D3 has come down I think they will be around $4000 soon.

10. dwind

dwind Guest

Also, add the price of nx2 to the d700.
    My nx2 expired and aperture doesn't support the d700 yet. Grrr.....

11. marioni

marioni

Jan 22, 2006
    Nonsense.

12. artona

artona

Jul 9, 2008
    UK
    Hi

I went into a very good camera shop over the weekend. They had half a second handdozen D2s for sale - swopped in for 700s and they are about to put on sale a D3 that someone has changed for a D700.

stew

13. Steinar

Steinar

Aug 16, 2007
    Denmark
  14. Nuteshack

Nuteshack Guest

same issues with the d3 ..if u consider it an issue..side note -> 5d is all about BANDING, and at much lower iso's:eek: 

15. I have a D3 which is a fine camera. I have read many good things about the D700, which I understand has the same sensor and processing. The D3 is higher in weight, durability and price. I don't know if the D700 has all the custom settings and features included with the D3, but if it does and you are looking for a lighter camera for less money, the D700 should be a good choice.

16. Dawgneck

Dawgneck

Apr 25, 2007
    So Cal
    I'm awaiting Bjorn's AF comparison of the D700 to the D3 (BIF, of course).

If it performs the same as the D3 (for BIF), I'll buy the D700.

While awaiting Bjorn's comparison, I've investigated the D3 and have to admit the idea of a used D3 sounds better each day. I never took my grip off the D200/300 and I'm used to the extra size and weight. Heck, I actually prefer it.

If I find an used D3, especially around $3,500 :) rolleyes: yeah, right!), then I will jump on it. That way, there's no question about BIF tracking....

Regarding that $3,500 D3: If anyone here in So Cal can make my dream come true (sorry, I gotta test it out first, therefor I'm only considering a local purchase), please let me know.

17. Max

Max Guest

Since I have both, I thought I would weigh in. The D3 is an awesome camera, feels great and is quite a bargain compared to the Canon counterparts (especially after the latest $450 price decrease from Nikon). However, the D700 is almost as good and MUCH cheaper and thus a better bang for the buck. If I didn't have to buy both and had to pick, I would definitely get the D700 :) 

18. Haha, that's what I did. But now I have three pro-bodies for work! Sucks when I want to go incognito!

19. Try both at Samys Camera. You'll definitely lean towards the D3. D700 feels like a D300 on steroids. While the D3 was built from the ground up to be a bad-arse camera. Though, I like the new touches on the D700 and it has the same button controls as the D300 which are easier to use for one-handed handling such as zooming into photos.

20. btg1

btg1

Jun 20, 2008
    USA
    This is too tough to choose, just about anyway... I went back and forth between the two.. I was going to wait for the D3X, then I found the D700 in a store... and bought it... I had previously seen and tried the D3 seperately.. sometime later I was able to physically compare the two in (another) store... I don't know, it just happened.. what can I say?
    I considered the grip issue, I have an F5 and always found it just a bit too heavy to lug around (but did appreciate the way it was built etc) - the D700 just about feels as nice as my F5, and I feel like I get to save a bit of weight and bulk... if I really need a grip I will buy one (expect that to happen in oh.. 3-6 months.... :)  ) but like the ability to travel light(er) anyway...
    The 100% viewfinder was also a point of concern for me, but as someone else suggested, I simply look at the LCD afterwards... this may not be the best solution for everyone...

I still wonder if I chose correctly, but ultimately am extremely happy with the D700.... I really don't think you can go wrong either way...

So if you try them both in a store, camera lust will likely make you side one way or another pretty quickly...

Finally, (as I suggested in another thread) you could rent both of them... but to me I would just rather put that rental money towards one or the other)

HTH's

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.