D700 vs D3

How does the D700 stack up against the D700? I have a D3 and it is awesome, I shoot sports and the low light shots come out great, a friend of mine is looking to upgrade his Canon equipment and wants a setup like mine, but he mentioned maybe getting a D700. He also shoots sports.

Comparing the d700 and the D3, are they identical in low light situations?

How is the build of the D700 compared to the D3?

Any other comments welcomed.

The D700 has the same sensor as the D3 & reviews indicate the low light performance is the same on each so that shouldn't be an issue.

For sports the D700 only shooting 5FPS is likely an issue although if you add the grip and use AA's or buy the EN4-whatever battery that comes with the D3 you can get to 8FPS. The D3 also has 2 CF slots vs. only 1 on the D700.

The only advantages I can think of for the D700, other than cost of course, are you have the option of adding the grip so if you want to go small, you can, and the Sensor "auto clean". Build quality on the D700 is very good, but I don't think it's quite D3 level, although I haven't had the luxury of handling a D3.

The only advantages I can think of for the D700, other than cost of course, are you have the option of adding the grip so if you want to go small, you can, and the Sensor "auto clean". Build quality on the D700 is very good, but I don't think it's quite D3 level, although I haven't had the luxury of handling a D3.

While not much of a sports feature, the D700 pop up flash also works nicely as a commander for remote flashes.

I have both. Got the D700 recently as a low-light travel body. I find image quality to be the same. Build quality is very good on the D700. If you have handled a D200 or D300 you will know what the D700 is like. The single digit bodies, like the D3, are in a different league build quality wise. That build quality imposes a weight penalty, which is why I got the D700. The sports shooter I know uses the D700 with the grip to get the higher frame rate. I believe that makes his D700 larger than my D3.

While not much of a sports feature, the D700 pop up flash also works nicely as a commander for remote flashes.
Good point - I tend to forget the pop up flash, but it can be nice to have on occasion, even if I tend to leave my down...

Also the 100% Viewfinder on the D3 vs 95% on the D700

The microphone for storing voice memos. (D3)

Faster drive for turning D series screw driven lenses (D3) ::My D700 drives D series around very fast, any faster is just nuts in my opinion lol::

9 FPS (D3)

More dedicated buttons on D3.

I think im missing a few things (not counting what everyone else added)

I shot baseball for the first time with my D700 and 80-200mm "two ring" at 5FPS and i had no problem getting the shots i was looking for. Now i wish i had longer range of lenses for certain shots but i had no problem stopping action where i wanted it stoped.

I owned a D700 for a short time and shot sports with the grip attached. As mentioned earlier, with the grip the D700 is larger/heavier than the D3. The D3 just feels better to me than the D700 w/grip. Not saying that the grip is bad, but it doesn't feel the same as a full size pro body. Even with some of the added features to the D700 and the lower price, I still spent the extra and bought the D3. To me it was worth it and I'd do it again if shooting in the vertical mode as often as I do.

A

andrew wilson

D700 is a compromise - D3 is the business - there is a price difference - ask yourself why?!

I have found the D700 is a great camera for sports.Sports is more about timing than pray and spray.

A

andrew wilson

Sports is more about timing than pray and spray.

sometimes - but I get a MUCH higher keep rate with digital than I ever did with film - 8fps helps no end - depends on the sport though. I can manage single shot with cricket - if I can stay awake! :biggrin:

You can build your own d700.

Take a d3.
Use a hacksaw to remove the bottom 1/3rd.
Add an internal flash and a sensor cleaner.
Reduce the price by 40%.

There you go. :biggrin:

Now to get serious, there's no difference in image quality, and the build quality of the d700 is excellent. The reduced weight is a boon at events, when I need to lug around my camera for hours at a time, and the reduced size allows me to be less conspicuous when I'm shooting candids. And on the occasions when I need a higher shutter rate for sports or wildlife, a vertical grip for a portrait session, or just want to go styling, I can always add the mb-d10.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest threads

Top Bottom