D700 w/24-120 VR package at B&H...

Discussion in 'Nikon FX DSLR' started by Jetta32696, Aug 4, 2008.

1. I was just looking - yes, just looking at the D700 package at B&H for the D700 and the 24-120 VR that's for sale and noticed something really weird. It's more expensive to buy the package then if you purchase both items separately in the same order... The package price is $3599.95 - separately priced it's 3509.90 - for nearly a $100 difference in price! Is that a sneaky trick by B&H to make some extra money??? Or is it just an error on their part??

Anyone else notice this??

2. cleoent

cleoent

Dec 21, 2007
    San Jose, Ca
    others have noticed it, no one understands it,t he pricing comes from Nikon's suggested retail price.

3. bradNYC

bradNYC

Mar 28, 2008
    NYC
    Yep, I def. noticed this. It's the same with the other kits as well, not just the D700.

4. Yep, all retailers have it listed that way. Either it's a mistake on Nikon's part (MSRP) or THEY are doing it to up the sales, LOL! I really don't know what the issue is.

5. adrianaitken

adrianaitken Guest

But the D700 but itself is backordered - if you want one NOW you have to cough up the extras. Or go elsewhere !!!

6. That's not cool at all...MSRP is off! :biggrin: I never really checked other packages like this before - but since I was actually considering a d700, I decided to do the math...

7. For that price I'd rather just buy used D3! Ridiculous!

8. My impression was the 24-120 VR was an improved or updated version. Of course if they are the exact same lens then you would be better off buying the lens separately.

9. azarby

azarby

Sep 17, 2006
    Phoenix, Az
    I looked a the kit at a local dealer last week and we opened up the box and the lens is in a standard 24-120 lens box, just included inside the larger kit box. We opened up the lens and it is the same lens that has been on the market for sevral years. He admitted that he would normally sell the items seperately for less than the kit, but he is required by Nikon to sell it at the listed price.

Bob

10. Nikkor AIS

Nikkor AIS

Jun 5, 2008
    Alberta
    You know , somtimes I think Nikon must have monkeys working at there marketing division. Making a package of the 24-120 VR by many accounts the worst modern nikkor going? NIKON HELLO:confused:. How about slapping a "new" Nikkor 1.4 AFS on the D-700 for a hundred bucks less than the two seperatly and see how many they would sell. But the the 24-120 VR please.

Gregory

11. cleoent

cleoent

Dec 21, 2007
    San Jose, Ca
    I think they're smarter than you think.

The kits i'm sure are sure to be selling like hotcakes, and even if they're not, they will be when the body only packages are all sold out.

Once that happens and people buy up the kits nikon is making more money AND on top of that selling a poorly designed lens with a bad reputation that doesn't sell well on it's own.

Pure freaking genius.

12. Nikkor AIS

Nikkor AIS

Jun 5, 2008
    Alberta
    Leo: You might be right:biggrin:....OO No, your wrong:tongue: attaching a POS lens to a great camera is not marketing guiness, Its bad business. Nikon has lost a huge portion of market share to Canon in the last 10 years. Putting a gun to the head and making people buy there crap(24-120) dosnt make folks want to make the switch. The fact that the D-700 is linked to one of the worst modern Nikkor's made makes me want to puke.

Gregory

13. cleoent

cleoent

Dec 21, 2007
    San Jose, Ca
    u may be right, and i do agree with you, but nikon is making more money and clearing out it's ****** lens. lol.

genius!

14. btg1

btg1

Jun 20, 2008
    USA
    I don't quite get this --- I really like my copy --- I have enlarged several pictures and they are "tack sharp".. I would likely agree it isn't the sharpest wide open, but as a travel lens... no complaints...

15. Nikkor AIS

Nikkor AIS

Jun 5, 2008
    Alberta
    Leo: Cool. Im glad we are both laughing. The fact is my D-700 just got drained for a Nikkor 8 2.8 AIS fish-eye from keh:biggrin:
    So Im a little giddy. Im happy with My D3 and two F4s. The D-700 with its crappy lens is going to have to wait:smile:

Gregory

16. Nikkor AIS

Nikkor AIS

Jun 5, 2008
    Alberta
    Bruce: Im not really dumping on the zoom kit lens(24-120 VR) that Nikon is "pushing" with the D-700. And Im sure if I had a good sample I could make that baby sing. And Im sure yours is great and Im sure your captures are top notch. Its just I wanted to see the D-700 with a new 50 1.4 AFS. I own almost 20 Nikkor's and not one AF. If nikon can get me to switch to AF, they can get anybody. But for now, Im Nikkor AIS all the way.

Gregory

17. btg1

btg1

Jun 20, 2008
    USA
    Ah... AIS... OK say no more, of course (from what I have seen and hear) there is no comparison to AIS lens... and I guess I should have mentioned most of this shooting was using a DX camera (D70) -- so I probably should run a few shots through my D700 before commenting (atleast on the edge performance).. having said that, it just seemed like a lot of bad press for a lens that has for me anyway served its $500 (or whatever I paid when it came out) price tag several times over... (3 trips to India and many others).

I guess if there really is a problem with these 24-120's in general, I should not be told about it.. otherwise that is what causes lens lust isn't it?

18. acolo63

acolo63

Aug 11, 2008
    Santa Cruz, CA
    The lens is ok for a walkaround snapshot lens, but the D700 really shines with good glass such as the 50 1.4.

19. Mine is pretty soft at 5.6.