D700 with 28-105?

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by Mr. Graceful, Aug 1, 2008.

1. Does anyone have this combo and care to post samples?

2. Nuteshack

Nuteshack Guest

i'd like to see the same...;-)

3. mematsu

mematsu

May 2, 2007
    los angeles
    If I ever get around to getting a D700, it'll be either the 28-105 or the 28-75Tamron. Eventually maybe a 28-70, but I doubt if I'd ever be able to afford or need the 24-70.

4. digi.film

digi.film Guest

The 28-105mm was the first lens I bought when I got back into photography, a few years back. Granted, it was a year or so afterwards that I bought my first DSLR (a well used D1, now gone), and the lens was used mostly on my film bodies, but I found the focal range very useful on either, not to mention the Macro function.

I only have film (Ektachrome) images that I could post with this lens, though they would be FF of course.

5. Bump.

Does no-one own this combination? I'd have thought it would be popular.

I'm curious to know if the sensor shows the lens' weaknesses.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 6, 2008
  6. 28-105

That lens was popular with the S2 crowd. I was not impressed with it and sold the lens for a 28-70 Beast after a few months. It might be OK for travel, walkaround, but the variable aperture didn't appeal to me, and it was not all that sharp wide open.

The old 28-70 f/3.5-4.5 would worth a look at. They sell for $100 or so on eBay. It was a very good lens on film, excellent control of flare. I shot thousands of slides with it.

All that said, I still think the D700 is a body that begs for primes. If I ever buy one, my 105 f/2.5 and 28 f/2 will be the first I'll try on it. They are on F4s body all the time.

7. I have the D700 and the Tamron 28-105mm, f/2.8.
    Are you interested in seeing pictures with this combo?

Virginia
    aka beaucamera

8. I haven't found that to be the case, Carl, and would hate to see that assessment become "common knowledge" on the Cafe. I use my 28-105 wide open most of the time, and find the results critically acceptable. Here's a test shot, using Philippe Roger as a stand-in for a brick wall.

original.

9. Good choice, Frank.
    Philippe's a lot better looking than a brick wall.
    :tongue:

Virginia

BTW, he looks fabulous here.
    Great shot!

10. Thanks, Virginia. I had stopped over to show Philippe my new mini-softbox and the 28-105, and his cat was my intended target.

Philippe's portrait was just a quick grab shot. But he's turned into quite a model. Notice the tilted head pose :rolleyes: .

11. eparr

eparr

Jul 28, 2007
    S.F. Bay Area
    Are you happy with this combo?

12. Still nothing from the D700 and Nikon 28-105? Hmmph . . .

13. Nuteshack

Nuteshack Guest

maybe he learned that from his cat???

lol
    :cool: 

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.