D700 with nikkor 70-200 2.8

True DX lenses will automatically engage 24x 15 mm sensor area by default unless you tell it not to do so. It is in the menue.

The 70/200 is really not FX, but not DX either so it will bring up full frame. You will find the corners weak/soft at 180 +. Stopping down will not repair. You need the new 70/200 VR 11 for best results.
I get great results with my 70-200 VR on my d700. For my uses, it is more for sports and pj work which doesn't need sharp corners. It is a great lens regardless of the format.

I have yet to experience the issue in a year of shooting this combo, D700 and 70-200. For portraits a slight softening and vignette is usually applied in PS as a processing step, so no big deal. If I am doing a landscape, I use my 180 f/2.8 because it just sings on that kind of subject matter, as does my 105 VR.

I experienced horrible vignetting with my D700/70-200mm f2.8 VR lens:

Click on the pic and then click on it again to open it up.

I get great results with my 70-200 VR on my d700. For my uses, it is more for sports and pj work which doesn't need sharp corners. It is a great lens regardless of the format.
No argument here that it is a great lens, but if it does what it shows in the above example, I'm not going to be too happy.

No argument here that it is a great lens, but if it does what it shows in the above example, I'm not going to be too happy.
PP corrects the problem. I am not denying the problem, but it doesn't bother me. The D700/70-200 VR is a great combo.

Here is a actual shot of practical use.

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Here is a shot uncropped but post processed for the pixel peeping brickwallers.

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom