D7000 - 2 SD cards

Real Name
Paul
Okay, what am I missing? I've been through the manual, various fora and have tried searching on the interwebz. How does one download images from an SD card in slot 2 without manually ejecting it and putting it into slot 1? (Aside from ejecting and putting it into an sd card reader which I don't have. I'd rather just connect the USB to the computer/camera.) Any ideas?

I think most people just use the card reader in thier PC. In my case it is a lot faster than the USB cable and doesent put drain on my cameras battery

I have found that when I explore the camera there are two folders comming up. One for each Memory card. Then I just copy and paste from each. I have only done it once or twice so I could very well be wrong.

I have yet to try that and wouldn't do it as a rule. High quality card readers are a must for me. I see all sorts of issues when USB cables are used. File corruption, etc

I tried it in two different ways.

1. Open a My Computer window and choose the camera. The pictures from the two cards are mixed together, sorted by file name.

2. Use Nikon Transfer. On the Source tab, you can choose which card you want to work with. Since my normal method is to use Nikon Transfer (built into ViewNX2), this suits me just fine.

In other words, the access to the two cards is at the computer level, not through a camera setting.

I'm sure the other file viewing/transfer programs also know how to deal with two cards.

However, I'm with the others on using a card reader. I have one that is always hooked up to my main computer, and my laptop has one built in. This saves me from messing with usb cables all the time.

I'm personally not worried about file corruption as long as the complete copy is done prior to turning off the camera or pulling out the cable. But others seem to have had different experiences in the past.

Real Name
Paul
Thanks, Omar. I'll have to look more closely at Nikon Transfer. People who use CF cards, I have found, like to transfer pictures from the camera so as to minimize the contact with the pins (bending them on inserting the card) inside the camera and so transfer via USB. I don't mind using USB as I've never had a problem yet. Knock on wood.

Real Name
Paul
Okay, I'm using Nikon Transfer 1.5.2 on an iMac. On the Source tab there's a drop down menu entitled "Search for." When you click on it your choices are "cameras" or "removable disk." When I click off "cameras" the D7000 disappears. When I click it on the D7000 reappears and only sd card 1 is available for downloading images. Very strange!

Okay, I'm using Nikon Transfer 1.5.2 on an iMac. On the Source tab there's a drop down menu entitled "Search for." When you click on it your choices are "cameras" or "removable disk." When I click off "cameras" the D7000 disappears. When I click it on the D7000 reappears and only sd card 1 is available for downloading images. Very strange!

I don't have the camera connected right now. I'm looking at a drop down that has check boxes beside camera and removable disk. When I had the camera connected, there was also an icon for the camera. I clicked that to choose the card. Go to help for the following:

I think the illustrations and discussion will help you. This is quite a powerful transfer utility. It will take a bit to get your head around all your options.

Last edited by a moderator:
How have you set up the 2nd card? If it is a backup maybe the software recognizes that and ignores it.

Real Name
Paul
Okay, to answer my own question... Nikon Transfer 1.5.2 doesn't recognize the second card. Nikon Transfer 2 does. Silly me for not updating when I got the camera. :redface:

Okay, to answer my own question... Nikon Transfer 1.5.2 doesn't recognize the second card. Nikon Transfer 2 does. Silly me for not updating when I got the camera. :redface:

I didn't think to ask for version information. It makes sense that you'd need to run ViewNX2 as the D7000 dual card camera wasn't available when version 1.5.x was released.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom