D7000' AF: My settings and thoughts...

I am using D7000 with D700 side by side and I find the D7000' AF simply fantastic, also in very low light situations (see link to samples underneath).

While I read some comments on this and other fora who tell the opposite I will explain a little more my settings and thoughts about D7000 'AF.

As a former D2x user I have experienced the introduction of "Focus Tracking with lock on" which is for sure a great feature for group sports where a referee passing in front of the player you're following might ruin the picture. In the introduction time of D2x the same feature was bringing quite a lot of debate though and several users (including myself) preferred the more conservative AF of D1x (which I also had).

So about D7000' AF my conservative settings remain while having a huge % of perfect in focus pictures, also in very low light situations(see link to samples underneath)
My D7000'" AF settings for general photography, nature, BIF and handhold macro:
  • 39 AF points setting
  • single AF point selection
  • "focus tracking with lock on" set to OFF
Some samples while using the D7000 with 70-200VRII + 2xTCeIII in very low light situations where it snaps focus instantly every time:
http://www.fotografie.fr/fotoforum/viewtopic.php?f=54&t=1140#p3427

Further more I want to add that I am not such a big fan of the 18-105 lens. Even though this is a sharp lens in relation to its price tag, I found the AF with this lens sometimes hesitating and sometimes totally off. I have a much better impression of the 16-85 about this.

And last but not least I believe that many people suffer about handholding a camera which such a high pixel density as D7000 has. In this respect I find my D700 easier to use. Let's compare the intention of trying to make photons to hit the right tiny little pixels against big pixels on the D700 with playing darts where the bulls eye would be 3 times smaller ...

About the difficulty of handholding a camera with a very high pixel density there was an interesting article in one of this years Chasseur d'Images editions.

The difference in resolution and detail in images between a 6-10Mp DX camera and a 16 Mp DX camera will only be striking when used with a proper handholding technique combined with some basic knowledge about the necessary relation between focal length and shutter speed or, -much better- when used on tripod.

Hope this helps for some other users and early DSLR adopters.

Thanks for your attention and kindest regards,
Stany

* The contents of this thread is the same as what I wrote about the D7000' AF in the D7000 user review on my forum: http://www.fotografie.fr/fotoforum/viewtopic.php?f=54&t=1140#p3460

Thanks for sharing your experience and settings. Boy, do they need to read about this over at DPReview.com.

Nice tips :)

I've found focus tracking set to 1 or 2 to be useful for more erratically moving subjects - without it the wonderfully quick AF will refocus onto the background in that moment the focus point is off the subject. 9 point Dynamic can also work for such situations, but needs the subject to be not too much smaller than a single AF point to be very confident in it.

Using AF-A, AF-C or AF-S for still photos?

I am using D7000 with D700 side by side and I find the D7000' AF simply fantastic, also in very low light situations (see link to samples underneath).

While I read some comments on this and other fora who tell the opposite I will explain a little more my settings and thoughts about D7000 'AF.

As a former D2x user I have experienced the introduction of "Focus Tracking with lock on" which is for sure a great feature for group sports where a referee passing in front of the player you're following might ruin the picture. In the introduction time of D2x the same feature was bringing quite a lot of debate though and several users (including myself) preferred the more conservative AF of D1x (which I also had).

So about D7000' AF my conservative settings remain while having a huge % of perfect in focus pictures, also in very low light situations(see link to samples underneath)
My D7000'" AF settings for general photography, nature, BIF and handhold macro:
  • 39 AF points setting
  • single AF point selection
  • "focus tracking with lock on" set to OFF
Some samples while using the D7000 with 70-200VRII + 2xTCeIII in very low light situations where it snaps focus instantly every time:
http://www.fotografie.fr/fotoforum/viewtopic.php?f=54&t=1140#p3427

Further more I want to add that I am not such a big fan of the 18-105 lens. Even though this is a sharp lens in relation to its price tag, I found the AF with this lens sometimes hesitating and sometimes totally off. I have a much better impression of the 16-85 about this.

And last but not least I believe that many people suffer about handholding a camera which such a high pixel density as D7000 has. In this respect I find my D700 easier to use. Let's compare the intention of trying to make photons to hit the right tiny little pixels against big pixels on the D700 with playing darts where the bulls eye would be 3 times smaller ...

About the difficulty of handholding a camera with a very high pixel density there was an interesting article in one of this years Chasseur d'Images editions.

The difference in resolution and detail in images between a 6-10Mp DX camera and a 16 Mp DX camera will only be striking when used with a proper handholding technique combined with some basic knowledge about the necessary relation between focal length and shutter speed or, -much better- when used on tripod.

Hope this helps for some other users and early DSLR adopters.

Thanks for your attention and kindest regards,
Stany

* The contents of this thread is the same as what I wrote about the D7000' AF in the D7000 user review on my forum: http://www.fotografie.fr/fotoforum/viewtopic.php?f=54&t=1140#p3460

Stany, Great post-- thanks. I see that for the bird in flight photo, you used AFC with the settings you noted. How about the still/macro shots-- AFA? Thanks, Bill

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom