D7000 and AFC (and a buffer question)

Real Name
Randy
Assume 14bit RAW for both questions:

1. If you shoot the D7000 in AFC and use Release priority are you seeing alot of OOF shots ?

2. If you shoot the D7000 in AFC and use Focus priority does the shutter button jam alot ?

3. Does the buffer size bug you ? Does the shutter button jam alot on bursts or in other words do you fill the buffer often so the shutter button jams ?
I might do a 3 to 7 shot RAW burst every now and then but it's not common and more than 7 is almost never. I am planning on getting a 16gb SanDisk Extreme Pro UHS-1 45 MB/s (thanks Mike!) to try to empty the buffer as fast as possible.

1 dunno
2 nope
3 not at all, i dont do much burst, if you really have to burst go with 12 bit compressed or jpeg to up the number of shots the buffer can hold

3. Does the buffer size bug you ? Does the shutter button jam alot on bursts or in other words do you fill the buffer often so the shutter button jams ?
I might do a 3 to 7 shot RAW burst every now and then but it's not common and more than 7 is almost never. I am planning on getting a 16gb SanDisk Extreme Pro UHS-1 45 MB/s (thanks Mike!) to try to empty the buffer as fast as possible.

With the card you mention, I get a 10 shot burst on CH (12 on CL @ 3fps), then as I keep pressing on the shutter I get short bursts of 2 shots at a time as the buffer empties.

Real Name
Randy
With the card you mention, I get 10 shots on CH (12 on CL @ 3fps), then as I keep pressing on the shutter I get short bursts of 2 shots at a time as the buffer empties.

RAW ?
14 bit ?

10 would be fine with me, more than fine actually

for years i have used slow cards on my d300 (transcend 133x which are prob 10mb/s) so i think i won't see much diff on the d7000 wih a fast card

RAW ?
14 bit ?

10 would be fine with me, more than fine actually

for years i have used slow cards on my d300 (transcend 133x which are prob 10mb/s) so i think i won't see much diff on the d7000 wih a fast card

Yes... RAW 14bits.

I have not tried Focus release, but my my in focus rate is wayyyyy better than my D300 when shooting planes taking off or landing.

For planes, I had to switch to from Matrix to spot (10mm) metering though.

Real Name
Randy
Yes... RAW 14bits.

I have not tried Focus release, but my my in focus rate is wayyyyy better than my D300 when shooting planes taking off or landing.

For planes, I had to switch to from Matrix to spot (10mm) metering though.

perfect !

so i'm guessing focus priority is back to what it was like for the d200 then, TG

did u switch metering because the d7000 tends to over expose ?

perfect !

so i'm guessing focus priority is back to what it was like for the d200 then, TG

did u switch metering because the d7000 tends to over expose ?

I have not tried Focus Priority yet, but Release Priority seems to be working very well for what I do.

As far as metering goes, I would not say that my D7K overexposes, but it doesn't behave the same as my D300 did. Matrix metering worked very well for me on the D300.

Shooting planes against a clear sky with the D7k, Spot (10mm) metering seems to work well, while I need -.67 ev to -1 ev with Matrix metering.

On the other hand I tried Matrix metering at the zoo, and it worked very well in most situations.

Real Name
Mark
Randy,
As far as the buffering goes. When I shoot sports I shoot large jpg not RAW. One of three things I wish the D7000 had is a larger buffer. I have shot several sporting events & there have been several times when I have to wait on the buffer to empty before I could continue to take shots. It definitely is no D3s.
BTW, I appreciate your advice on baseball. I haven't had time to send you an e-mail to say thanks, but your advice was great. My Dad's been in the hospital in ICU over the past week. So when he gets stable I'll shoot you an e-mail & let you know how the baseball went.
Mark

I have a feeling Nikon got rid of the confusing 'release + focus' priority because they think normal release priority should work just fine :smile:

People who need to lock focus before taking a shot can switch to focus priority - but then the shutter button will jam by definition if you lose the subject. I tried AF-C/d 9/short lock-on/focus priority and did not experience any jamming - but I did miss focus quite a bit that day because the birds were fast (cormorants) and pretty far away... So this test is inconclusive.

D7000 Buffer depth at 6 fps:

• 14 bit lossless - 10 frames
  • 12 bit lossless - 11 frames
  • 14 bit lossy - 12 frames
  • 12 bit lossy - 15 frames

Full buffer clearing time - about 9 secs with Extreme Pro UHS-1 45 MB/s card, about 14 secs with Extreme HD or Extreme III 20 MB/s card.

I should normally be fine shooting 14 bit lossless, but if I find myself in a situation where I need more buffer depth I would switch to 12 bit lossy - setting 12 bit lossless or 14 bit lossy doesn't seem to improve things all that much.

Cheers

Mike

Real Name
Randy
Randy,
As far as the buffering goes. When I shoot sports I shoot large jpg not RAW. One of three things I wish the D7000 had is a larger buffer. I have shot several sporting events & there have been several times when I have to wait on the buffer to empty before I could continue to take shots. It definitely is no D3s.
BTW, I appreciate your advice on baseball. I haven't had time to send you an e-mail to say thanks, but your advice was great. My Dad's been in the hospital in ICU over the past week. So when he gets stable I'll shoot you an e-mail & let you know how the baseball went.
Mark

glad the bb worked out for you

i just sold my d300s but i still have a d300 for sports
if i use the d7000 for sports it will be on body#2 w/ a 70-200 so the buffer will not be an issue...i also shoot large fine jpg for sports
The 6 fps for 14bit raw is a HUGE improvement over the d300/d300s, nikon should have made more of that change

Real Name
Randy
I have a feeling Nikon got rid of the confusing 'release + focus' priority because they think normal release priority should work just fine :smile:

People who need to lock focus before taking a shot can switch to focus priority - but then the shutter button will jam by definition if you lose the subject. I tried AF-C/d 9/short lock-on/focus priority and did not experience any jamming - but I did miss focus quite a bit that day because the birds were fast (cormorants) and pretty far away... So this test is inconclusive.

D7000 Buffer depth at 6 fps:

• 14 bit lossless - 10 frames
  • 12 bit lossless - 11 frames
  • 14 bit lossy - 12 frames
  • 12 bit lossy - 15 frames

Full buffer clearing time - about 9 secs with Extreme Pro UHS-1 45 MB/s card, about 14 secs with Extreme HD or Extreme III 20 MB/s card.

I should normally be fine shooting 14 bit lossless, but if I find myself in a situation where I need more buffer depth I would switch to 12 bit lossy - setting 12 bit lossless or 14 bit lossy doesn't seem to improve things all that much.

Cheers

Mike

i never go past 7 shots on a burst and rarely more than 2 or 3
maybe if an osprey is fishing or landing 5 shots
i think i will be fine

hell i can't even shoot 14bit raw dx now so i'll take anything over 2.5fps
the d300 is so slow who cares how big the buffer is, the play is over or the bird is gone:smile:

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom