D7000: Are AF problems real?

I am in the market for a new camera and I had my eye set on D7000. It's lighter and smaller than D300s or future D400, and the features will suit my needs just fine. But looking at dpreview and a few Amazon reviews, I get the impression that quiet a few samples have AF problems. Taking into account that Nikon has replaced some major parts for some customers, this made me question D7000 purchase and maybe wait for D400. I am just not sure I want to pay the $500+ difference for D400 features I won't really use.

So I am trying to find out from some of our experienced Nikon shooters that bought D7000 if they have experienced this AF issue or what they think about. I am just thinking that if this really was a widespread issue, Nikon would have communicated something about it by now. But if it's not, is AF system in D7000 that different that so many people have problems with it.

To be honest, I think there were some units that had issues in the first batch. I dont think its an issue any more. I say go for it. Just for fun here is a couple of mine:

5508807848_9a122ee1f4_b.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

5508801464_60d4ac55fc_b.jpg

Absolutly no issues here, no fine tune needed on any of my lenses. I have no problems getting clear crisp issues. Af performance is very fast, 3D tracking tracks like bloodhound. Excellent low light focus acquisition(bar room lighting).

I also think the issue was a few bad units on the initial production run, nobody seems to complain about those issues anymore unless they had one of the first cameras.

I've had mine since November 1, and the AF has been fine. Even if there were some problems with the first batch (and I'm not totally convinced) I think you should have no worries about buying one now.

Big problems. Massive AF fine tune required for most lenses. Will be trying to exchange today.

Note: camera purchased late 2010 from early batch.

I recieved mine in late November and have no problems. I think most of the people that complained expected a magic camera. Liberal return policies encouraged many to give up before they learned how to take advantage of the new sensor. GH

Don't forget the higher resolution and diffraction issues that come with it. What might have been a perfectly sharp picture on a D90 or D300 could now all of a sudden be a bit soft (depending on what lens used of course). I would not be shocked if a good amount of "autofocus problems" is derived from that effect as well.

Bought the first batch right before the release day, mine has severely sharp focus and has issues with auto focusing way too accurately. I might have to call Nikon to complain about their superb product

right out of the SD card:
5109699482_a5026e5aa7_b.jpg

Street car part 2 by capacity4action, on Flickr

okay lets not insult anyone's ability...

A lot of the autofocus issues out there had to do with live view and third party lenses. Sigma has confirmed the issue and is doing firmware upgrades.
That said I went through 3 bodies. One because the battery blew upon charging and the second because of the live view issues. I will say I do think the d7k could be better at acquiring focus in really dark situatuons.

So is AF in dark situations worse or better than on D300? I thought this new AF system is suppose to be better.

The premise of the OP is that a number of bodies might have AF problems. From my point of view, we don't know what kind of problems the OP is asking about. Is it the AF when shooting birds in flight, when shooting scenes with little contrast such as dark scenes, when shooting in Live View, when shooting not in Live View, or is it all of the above?

I think there are two things going on. There may have been some flawed units in early shipments. Second, the focusing modes/capabilities of this camera are just more complicated and take time to master. I'm still trying to figure them out, but have gotten some of the sharpest images I've ever produced using a single focus point and minimal fine tuning to compensate for a little back focus with my 80-200 AFS 2.8.

I'm extremely happy with mine, and am just looking forward to using and learning it a lot more.

JB Hi Fi, Elizabeth St, Melbourne.

They were very good today - quickly identified the backfocus problem & replaced the camera. Hopefully better luck this time.

Thats good news. Did they just take a quick snap or did they have some sort of testing chart?

JB is usually pretty good like that. Although I had not seen the D7K for sale in JB round Sydney

Thats good news. Did they just take a quick snap or did they have some sort of testing chart?

JB is usually pretty good like that. Although I had not seen the D7K for sale in JB round Sydney

They used a testing chart. Took 5 mins to diagnose & organise replacement even tho I was outside usual replacement period.

Very happy with JB. Very unhappy with the local repairer, who I suspect fobbed me off behind the scenes (see 'problem nailed' thread).

They used a testing chart. Took 5 mins to diagnose & organise replacement even tho I was outside usual replacement period.

Very happy with JB. Very unhappy with the local repairer, who I suspect fobbed me off behind the scenes (see 'problem nailed' thread).

Did you give the replacement a crack at the test chart? I think I would have....

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom