D7000 autofocus settings question

What settings do you use on D7000 when doing portraits?

I´m used to select the focusing points myself so I can focus on the eyes, but I haven´t figured out how to obtain that settings on the D7000. How is it done?

I have a D300, but I think they are all the same.

AF-S - D7000 page 91

Single Point AF - D7000 page 95

Then move the one focus point to the eyes - D7000 page 96

If using TTL flash, I would suggest Center Metering mode too, and certainly FV Lock. Unnecessary for manual flash.

On the left side of the camera near the base of the lens is the auto focus/manual switch...
Press the button in the center and turn the rear command dial and select AF-C or AF-S
(shown in top LCD)... Then while still holding the button turn the front command dial and
select single focus point (shown in top LCD) then release the button at the base of the
lens...

On the back of the camera is a lever with an "L" and a dot... Flip it to point to the dot
then press the "OK" button in the center of the menu navigation wheel to move the
focus point to center then flip the lever back to "L" to lock it in place... You can also
use the navigation wheel to move the focus point around when the lever is pointing
to the dot if you'd like...

Hope that helps... :smile:

I've learned with my D7000 that, more than with any other camera I've owned, reading the manual cover to cover (and keeping it in my bag!) is essential. Last night shooting the moon, I couldn't figure out how to do time lapse. Thankfully, I had the manual in my bag and could find out.

Because the manuals are so huge these days, I find having a pdf copy good too, then you can do a search and find what you want quite quickly.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom