D7000 - Better than expected results on AFC

I was out at the park the other day with the dog and my newly acquired 70-300 VR. So I thought it would be neat to try a sequence of pictures of the dog coming at me. (Boxers can sprint very quickly by the way). So, I threw the ball and got into shooting position.

So far so good With the AF-ON, 9pt AFC I started clicking away.

63457621508C4B68B1BEF1583FF88645.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

B9E75F3F69FE4117B56B27F7C5237617.jpg

FFAF0A953DC848D5AE4A818AEC70931B.jpg

The out of focus picture is a mishap caused by me. That dog was barreling at me so fast I thought he was going to knock me over :smile: I jerked the camera and lost focus...

BF0A6B47A2FC46158EDD2BCFF41ECF86.jpg

Re-grouped, I managed to get the last picture sharp.

C53C8A66F3F14770BDD6D0E384BE1E7C.jpg

I really couldn't be happier with the AF, and the burst rate is more than adequate for me. On Cont Hi I get a dozen pictures in 2 seconds.

In hindsight, I could have used a faster shutter speed and maybe a smaller aperture (I wasn't really paying attention to it at the time). Also, I only took a few sequences and all of them were sharp, aside from the odd "user-error, no-time-to-think" out of focus frame.

Time to relax... (35mm 1.8)

B7813E98D15F48FD80548AC4AA552EF1.jpg

I think my 1.5yr is faster then your dog since I can't seem to get half as many sharp shots and that's using a 24-70 :)

All kidding aside those shots turn out really good!

1.5 yr old boxer? Any pics?

Actually I was surprised when I looked at the sequences on the computer. That justified the lens purchase for me. I can't wait to use it for baseball, soccer pics, etc.

1.5 yr old boxer? Any pics?

Actually I was surprised when I looked at the sequences on the computer. That justified the lens purchase for me. I can't wait to use it for baseball, soccer pics, etc.

Hehe. Human being.

Wow those look great! thats better than i expected from the 70-300, what was your focal length?

Thanks. The focal length in the exif and CNX is listed as 300mm. I see that my 35mm is listed as 35mm focal length, so that must be the set value (not a DX re-calc).

Here is another pic at 210mm, f5.3, 1/500. He's really motoring in this one as you can see from the dirt he's kicking up. I probably should have used a smaller aperture than wide open, to get a little more sharpness down the length of the dog. You can see by the grass how small the DOF is (looks to be 2 feet or so) - amazing technology really.

275BB4F7CE5D4DAE91A8E31BD87F93C4.jpg

Brendan, those are just excellent, good job...!
Clapping.gif

Brendan, those are just excellent, good job...!

Thanks. I gotta say it was mostly technology though. I just held on to the camera and tried to keep the focal point on the nose/head. Doing so yielded sharp, well exposed pics 85%-90% of the time. Love that D7000. And now the 70-300 too.

Here's a fast flying seagull where things did not go as well in terms of sharpness. Man it is hard to track those at close distance - 200mm.

EEF694D8128C409B8AADBAA9EC869AAF.jpg

Nice job. The seagull is pretty sharp too.

I'm often tempted to shell out the cash and get something like the 70-200, but I keep asking myself why to be honest.

Were you shooting in raw and using the Ch mode? Great captures by the way.

Thanks. I always shoot in raw since disk space is so affordable now. If I just want simple pics then I'll just hilite them and save as jpg. But I have found in the past that I had a really great shot in jpg that needed tweaking and wished I had taken it in raw to begin with.

If you mean release mode I believe they were shot in ContHigh although I don't usually keep the shutter down - too many pics.

Having said that the pictures are only sharpened and resized for the web. That's it. I love the OOC colors and exposure on this camera and the AutoWB is pretty much dead-on.

Nice job. The seagull is pretty sharp too.

I'm often tempted to shell out the cash and get something like the 70-200, but I keep asking myself why to be honest.

I suppose if I were doing this for a living or had the money I would buy a 70-200 or a telephoto prime. But they're so darned expensive :frown:

The D7000 does make you want to upgrade your glass though...

Thanks. I always shoot in raw since disk space is so affordable now. If I just want simple pics then I'll just hilite them and save as jpg. But I have found in the past that I had a really great shot in jpg that needed tweaking and wished I had taken it in raw to begin with.

If you mean release mode I believe they were shot in ContHigh although I don't usually keep the shutter down - too many pics.

Having said that the pictures are only sharpened and resized for the web. That's it. I love the OOC colors and exposure on this camera and the AutoWB is pretty much dead-on.

Yea, that's what I was wondering. I find that the buffer is a little small when shooting raw and keeping the shutter down in ContHigh.

I don't really have anything to add about the gear (it seems to be serving you well) but I just wanted to chime in and say that your dog is awesome.

Thanks. Boxers look tough but are really quite gentle, like most dogs. He is a true athlete though.

I agree that the AF-C is very adequate for moving stuff! I shoot automotive photography at the race track and the camera tracks them down no problem! Haven't tried with birds or animals yet though.

I have been very, very pleased with the D7000+70-300VR combo. I'm not sure why people are down on this lens. It's been an excellent performer for me at all focal lengths.

Latest threads

Top Bottom