D7000 built-in flash not firing

Last night, I decided to try using my D7000 to remotely trigger my SB600. Well, I'm pretty positive I did it right, but I never got it to work successfully. Afterward, I seem to have discovered the problem: The D7000's onboard flash doesn't seem to be firing. At all. I did switch the flash mode back from "commander." I'm not aware if it was working before or after I tried to pair it with the SB600.

I've done extensive googling, but I can't seem to find anything on this. Does anyone have any ideas?

If the camera is in one of the A,S,M, P modes, then the internal flash should fire if its door is open. However, if in the other various scene modes, then maybe not, their automation fires the flash as deemed needed (and these scene modes open the door themselves, when they deem flash is needed).

But A,S,M,P modes will fire if the flash door is open (and will not if door is closed). Opening the door is the flash enable.
If not firing then, that's a hardware problem, with door switch, flash tube, etc.

The SB-600 had nothing to to with it.

Thanks, Wayne. I'm trying it in A mode; the flash pops up but does not fire.

? There are camera A modes and flash A modes... ? I'm sorry, I am not quite understanding.

In camera A mode (A in the set A,S,M,P), the flash door will not pop open automatically, ever. Instead you manually open it when you want the flash to fire, and leave it closed when you don't want the flash.

I am not very familiar with Auto or the scene modes. I had those in a D70S, but my later models only have A,S,M,P.

But regardless, if Auto mode, and if the flash door is popping open (it thinks flash is needed), but the flash is not firing, that is a bad sign. I would also check in in A mode to be sure (A mode will fire flash if you open the door), but I do fear it must be a hardware failure that will require repair.

The flash should fire anytime it should. Could be a bad door switch, could be a bad flash tube, etc.

Thanks, Wayne. I've tried it in both full auto and A, S and P. I'll contact Nikon about it. I desperately hope I don't have to send it away ... it's my only camera :(

Well, crud. I just realized you can actually see little pieces of glass inside the flash. I think it must have happened when my toddler grabbed it off the table the other day. Called the local camera store, but they said they can't fix it -- it'd have to be sent off to Nikon :( Don't suppose this is anything I could have my fairly handy husband replace, is it?

Sounds like it could be pieces of a broken flashtube. It is probably easier to repair than some things, but I cannot tell you how to repair it yourself. Sorry to hear it, but hopefully they can repair it quickly... Maybe it needs to be checked out overall anyway? Hopefully it is still in warranty, but "impact damage" is never covered anyway. :smile:

But it should not interfere with using the SB-600 on the hot shoe, as is. I would make sure it seems to be working well yourself first.

Luckily the SB600 still works fine. I really was hoping to use it off-camera -- though I do have a cable, so I suppose that's my best option for now.

More annoying is that the D7000 isn't that old, and I'm sure this will be a ding in the resale value down the road.

More annoying is that the D7000 isn't that old, and I'm sure this will be a ding in the resale value down the road.

My experience with Nikon repair is that it comes back like new. They have rebuilt two lenses for me. One was dropped, I still have it, like new.

And I sold a Nikon 18-200mm lens once, which had suffered from terrible lens creep, but Nikon had repaired it and it was better than new, which appeared to be a significant selling advantage.

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom