D7000 continues to amaze

Yesterday my wife and I had dinner with our daughter and son-in-law. Their house is quite dark and has dark paneled wood ceilings in the main room, so bounce-flash is out of the question. I decided to try some shots without flash with the nifty-fifty (50/1.8) using auto iso and a minimum shutter speed of 1/100s. I have been amazed by the results.

The photo below of my granddaughter with my son-in-law's mother was made at iso 1250 and, because of user error :)redface:) was underexposed by at least one stop. It has also been cropped by about 50%. But it makes beautiful prints!

1137566850_p6GTy-O.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

There is no way I could have gotten this with the D90.

I have several others similar to this from yesterday.

Jim,

Beautiful expressions. The more I use mine, the happier and more impressed I am with it.

A belated happy birthday to you!

Glad you're liking the D7000, I'm loving mine. Just bought a 55mm AIS f/2.8 to try on it, one of the reasons I bought this camera in the first place.

Off topic a bit, aren't you glad we missed the last storm?

Well, Pa, you're definitely not the only new D7000 owner who is saying this over and over again. And I don't think the poster above was being sarcastic at all about retiring his D700 in favor of the D7000. I have almost a dozen online friends who are shelving their D300, and even D700 bodies after buying the D7000.

I've only had mine for four days, but I've gotten a couple of similarly impressive low light, high-ISO shots with it as well.

Being on a limited budget, I agonized over the advisability of upgrading from the D90. Now I'm thoroughly convinced I did the right thing.

Well, Pa, you're definitely not the only new D7000 owner who is saying this over and over again. And I don't think the poster above was being sarcastic at all about retiring his D700 in favor of the D7000. I have almost a dozen online friends who are shelving their D300, and even D700 bodies after buying the D7000.

I've only had mine for four days, but I've gotten a couple of similarly impressive low light, high-ISO shots with it as well.

Being on a limited budget, I agonized over the advisability of upgrading from the D90. Now I'm thoroughly convinced I did the right thing.

Bob, when I sold my D200 to buy the D90, I sold my wired remote to a birder who had just bought the D300. He told me that if he didn't shoot BIF, he would have gotten the D90. What a difference two years make.

i sold my d700 in favor of d7000..... dont get me wrong, d700 is a great camera but its not $1000 better....

I have several others similar to this from yesterday.

May you explain why there is no way D90 can do with that picture? I think ISO 1250 is not a big deal with D90.
I agree that D7000 can do better at high ISO but that does not mean D90 cannot do what D7000 does at ISO around 1200

May you explain why there is no way D90 can do with that picture? I think ISO 1250 is not a big deal with D90.
I agree that D7000 can do better at high ISO but that does not mean D90 cannot do what D7000 does at ISO around 1200

He explained it in his post: "was made at iso 1250 and, because of user error :)redface:) was underexposed by at least one stop. It has also been cropped by about 50%. But it makes beautiful prints!"

On its own, the 1250 isn't a problem for the D90, but couple that with reversing the underexposure and the aggressive crop both of which make noise come out in a picture, and you have a recipe for showing any noise that is in the picture. Since he is printing this, the standards for acceptable noise are tougher as well.

He explained it in his post: "was made at iso 1250 and, because of user error :)redface:) was underexposed by at least one stop. It has also been cropped by about 50%. But it makes beautiful prints!"

On its own, the 1250 isn't a problem for the D90, but couple that with reversing the underexposure and the aggressive crop both of which make noise come out in a picture, and you have a recipe for showing any noise that is in the picture. Since he is printing this, the standards for acceptable noise are tougher as well.

Thanks, Omar. I couldn't have said it better.

i sold my d700 in favor of d7000..... dont get me wrong, d700 is a great camera but its not $1000 better....

You're another among a handful of people I know who have done the same thing. And even more folks I know have retired their D300 bodies in favor of the D7000.

One thing for sure, your arms won't get as tired holding the camera. :biggrin:

Bob, when I sold my D200 to buy the D90, I sold my wired remote to a birder who had just bought the D300. He told me that if he didn't shoot BIF, he would have gotten the D90. What a difference two years make.

Alan, I'm going to address precisely that point (shooting birds in flight) in my next post. :wink:

Thanks for initiating this thread, Pa -- excellent comments so far. I certainly don't want to hijack the thread, but since we're talking about amazing aspects of the D7000, I thought this would be an appropriate place for the following observations and examples.

No doubt about it, the D7000's high-ISO performance -- particularly with so many more megapixels crammed into the same-sized sensor -- is truly remarkable.

Equally important -- if not even more so -- in my decision to upgrade from the D90, though, was the new 39-point AF system. I like to shoot aircraft and birds in flight, and the 11 AF points in the D90 (and the D80) were never really up to the task of reliably following focus on those kinds of moving subjects. Even with SWM and HSM lenses, continuous autofocus with those cameras was jumpy, slow, and unpredictable.

Well, after a short trial, I have concluded that the D7000's new AF module is nothing short of phenomenal. :eek:

Now I understand why sports, wildlife and aircraft photographers opted for the D300 (with its 51 AF points) instead of the D90 when that's all that was available. My goodness, how the D7000 has revolutionized Nikon's consumer DSLR lineup in this respect! Folks who use pro bodies will probably yawn, but this is the first consumer Nikon body that truly does well with these kinds of subjects.

Both the AF and metering modules are completely new in the D7000, and they work beautifully together. User control over the several AF parameters is better than ever. Focusing is lightning-fast with Nikon SWM lenses and my Sigma 17-70 HSM lens. Lenses with screw-driven AF mechanisms focus a bit slower, but that's to be expected. And none of my lenses exhibit any AF errors (front or back-focusing) on my camera.

How quick and accurate is autofocusing? A picture (or four of them) is worth a thousand words. :smile:

Here are four consecutive frames, taken at 6 frames per second using Ch (continuous high) mode with the Nikon 70-300 VR on my D7000. The seagulls were literally swarming over a pond in a local park, going after pieces of bread being thrown into the air by a couple next to me. The birds were flying low, fast, and very close, so I set my camera to Shutter priority at 1/1250, ISO 800, and dynamic area AF-C using the 9 center AF points. They were passing by so close that I really didn't need the telephoto lens. This sequence was taken at 75mm.

This seagull passed left to right, low and fast, less than 25 feet away from me. It was a matter of quickly raising the camera, framing the bird, and trying and keep him in the viewfinder while I panned with him and banged off 4 quick consecutive frames. This less than one-second sequence depicts just one single flap of the seagull's wings.

Frame #1
5295883972_f1fd019ab7_z.jpg

Seagull Sequence 1 of 4 by SoCalBob, on Flickr

Frame #2
5295884410_f4e048cc42_z.jpg

Seagull Sequence 2 of 4 by SoCalBob, on Flickr

Frame #3
5295884978_bd882e3809_z.jpg

Seagull Sequence 3 of 4 by SoCalBob, on Flickr

Frame #4
5295885758_ac2e408d6d_z.jpg

Seagull Sequence 4 of 4 by SoCalBob, on Flickr

All the photos are slightly cropped to fill the frame with the bird and center it (they are approximately 75-80% of the full frames). Otherwise, the first two frames are SOOC with no other post processing. I had to adjust the exposure on the last two slightly to match the first two shots because the camera increased the exposure on them from f/6.3 to f/4.5. This was caused by a change in the background lighting prompted by the matrix metering. Nothing wrong with that, the camera actually got it pretty much right.

I have never had a camera react so quickly and precisely, and perform so well under such challenging conditions.

The reservations I had at first about upgrading from a D90 have been permanently put to rest.

Real Name
Keith Jalbert
IMO these photos couldve been done with D90... The newest and coolest isnt always the best....Ill stick to my D90 until I decide to bump up to FX:) People dumping their D700 Full Frame for a DX? Not likely, guess its just me I dont jump due to a new item on shelf, thats just me I dont need 20-30MP for printing 24x 36 photos or 8.5 x 11s...On my monitor all the pics posted seem underexposed.

Latest threads

Top Bottom