D7000 memory card issues

Hoping it will be a firmware issue as ive never updated it since buying in new from B&H.
1st issue: no matter what configuration I set the 2 slots at. It always writes to both cards. It will either put jpeg files on both. Or Raw on both. Wont put raw on 1 & jpeg on other, or vise versa. It wont fill one card 1st then fill second as overflow.
2nd issue: & this has only happened twice. After taking a couple hundred shots. It will give card error. When that happens. One card is rendered dead, fried, non op, never work again. 1st 5ime it happened using 2 16 gig SD cards. They were Sandisc extreem pro cards purchased from B&H. The second ones were 2 16gig sd cards. Delkin SD 400X.

Any ideas? ?

Try doing a 2-button reset, if that doesn't work, the firmware has been corrupted and you should send the camera back to Nikon if it's still under warranty.

Good luck!

Its not under warranty:( ill try the reset

Too bad about the warranty. If the 2 button reset doesn't work, try downloading the latest firmware and loading it.

Has it ever had a low battery indication, and you had to re-install the battery?

A thought on the dead memory cards. Have you tried to re-format them in a card reader connected to your PC?

Too bad about the warranty. If the 2 button reset doesn't work, try downloading the latest firmware and loading it.

Has it ever had a low battery indication, and you had to re-install the battery?

A thought on the dead memory cards. Have you tried to re-format them in a card reader connected to your PC?

Sent the cards in to get photos recovered. They were unable to. The cards wont format. The computer wont even recognize that there is a card there. Never had a battery issue of any kind.

Ive never done a firmware update. What all is involved?
Thanks, Dave.

How old is the camera?? This sounds like the exact issue I had when I first got mine about 1.5 years ago. I didnt have fried memory cards, but I did have all sorts of issues with the two memory card slots and photos going on both or just one or getting error or freezing etc. etc. Downloaded the firmware update at that time and it was all resolved and been great ever since.

Firmware update is easy, just go to nikon website, get most recent firmware and follow the instructions which are very clear. I would do this as the next step to resolve the issue.

Thanks Greg. This gives me hope. As my camera is about same age as yours. Firmware update, here I come.

Don't send your cards in to recover photos, use a recovery program, my favorite is PhotoRescue. The most common issue with cards is that the FAT, File Allocation Table, has been corrupted. This is the table that tells the operating system how to find the files. The rescue programs have multiple ways to bypass this and recover your files. Each manufacturer has their own as well, I have seen PhotoRescue recover files that the manufacturers own software can't.

I don't, however, see how corrupted cards could be causing your camera issue, reloading firmware and checking the settings very carefully is what I would do.

Thank you very much. .

Good luck David, usually when there is a firmware update one of the cafe members is on top of it and posts a link which is always nice. Everytime I see an update I do it right away as I think its a good habit to get into.

Firmware updated. It now allows proper setup of the card slots.. Hopefully no more dead cards :)

Thanks for all the help!

Glad you solved your issue, I've had no problems with the various cards I'm using. So knowing it was an update put me at rest. No one wants to go out shooting and have this happen to them. yikes.

The camera has froze up a few times since last posting. Shows -E-on the top LCD. When it happens, it wont take pics, view pics,won't shut off. Have to remove battery. Then it operates fine for after that. Hasn't fried any more cards but I'm still worried about this & not sure what to do next.

The camera has froze up a few times since last posting. Shows -E-on the top LCD. When it happens, it wont take pics, view pics,won't shut off. Have to remove battery. Then it operates fine for after that. Hasn't fried any more cards but I'm still worried about this & not sure what to do next.

Has it froze up with different memory cards? If it is always the same memory card, that card could have a problem.

Well tried it with 2 new cards. Then tried it with just one. Then with an older 4 gig SD card. Same results each time. It doesn't do it every time I use it. Bout 1 time a week depending on use.

Last edited by a moderator:
Good luck David, usually when there is a firmware update one of the cafe members is on top of it and posts a link which is always nice. Everytime I see an update I do it right away as I think its a good habit to get into.

I certainly do this also.

My initial approach was:" If it is not broken do not fix it," but later I learned, that sometimes Nikon (and probably all the others) sometimes fix something in formware update, , they do not even mention, because they do not like to admit it.

A Nikon repair-man also told me this= It sometimes fixed a lot (he told me in a not "clear" way, but that was the button line of what he said), and sometimes they even had luck with installing the new firmware twice to fix something.

I certainly do this also.

My initial approach was:" If it is not broken do not fix it," but later I learned, that sometimes Nikon (and probably all the others) sometimes fix something in formware update, , they do not even mention, because they do not like to admit it.

A Nikon repair-man also told me this= It sometimes fixed a lot (he told me in a not "clear" way, but that was the button line of what he said), and sometimes they even had luck with installing the new firmware twice to fix something.

Firmware is up to date.

Latest threads

Top Bottom