d7000 memory display

Discussion in 'Nikon DX DSLR Forum' started by gekhang, May 31, 2011.

1. gekhang

gekhang

Sep 6, 2009
    Mpls, Mn
    So i just realized now that when my 8gb sandisk class 4 sd card is formatted, it shows that it will hold 223 photos on raw 14bit lossless. but just today i realized i had 423 photos in it before jumping to the other card. has anyone experience this issue? it havent bother me at all seeing as i've never filled up a memory card but was weird to see it was able to hold double of what is displayed on the top lcd screen.

2. cbbr

cbbr

Nov 21, 2009
    Baton Rouge, La.
    Mine does that - when you start shooting it estimates low. I guess that it has whatever number of very large files (lots of detail) and if your pictures have less than the estimated, you have more room?

3. Yahoo mine says 467 on a 16gb card but I managed to get 700 on one

4. gekhang

gekhang

Sep 6, 2009
    Mpls, Mn
    alright, just wanted to make sure mine wasnt the only one doing it.

5. Because the file size is dependent on the amount of detail in the photo, I think the camera makes the most conservative estimate. I find that a card almost always holds more photos than the camera estimates.

The D7000 user manual (Page 87) explains that you can set the camera to use JPEG Size Priority (Images are compressed to produce a relatively uniform file size) or Optimal Quality (Optimal image quality. File size varies with scene recorded). This option is found on the Shooting Menu.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.