D7000 or lens problem?

OK - I'm confused. I had checked all of my lenses for backfocus on my new D7000 and determined that all focused properly within a +2 to -5 fine tune adjustment, several at 0. Good right?

Just received a Tokina 11-16. It focuses perfectly on my D300s at 0, but requires a full -20 (maybe more if I had it) on my D7000. I have reconfirmed that my 24-70 and 14-24 focus correctly on both bodies with a fine tune of 0 (or at least close enough that I'm not seeing the difference readily).

I am unable to make sense of this - anyone?

My 11-16 focused perfectly on my D7000, maybe +- 3 at the most.
I checked it at 11mm, 13mm, and 16mm.
I use the focus-on button, and defocus and refocus at each setting a couple of times before making a fine tune change. Why not try again?

Tried several times, called Berger Bros and I'm sending the lens back. I'm sure some (most?) of the 11-16's focus fine with some/most of the D7000's, but this combo was a dud.

After some introspection, I ordered a Sigma 8-16 to try.

Tried several times, called Berger Bros and I'm sending the lens back. I'm sure some (most?) of the 11-16's focus fine with some/most of the D7000's, but this combo was a dud.

After some introspection, I ordered a Sigma 8-16 to try.

Before I sent it back, I would call Sigma. They could probably update the firmware for you.

I also tried the Sigma. Takes great photos.
Just a little annoying when it initially focuses because it chatters somewhat.
I liked it, but switched to the 10-24mm for greater range; plus I like to try different lenses.
Both the Sigma and Tokina worked well on my D7000.

Good luck with the Siggy 8-16. I have one for my D7000, and it is perfect at -7 AF Fine Tune. Love that extra few mm for the really wide shots.

Are your focus mode/settings equivalent or identical in both cameras? For instance, you're not using Dynamic area in one vs. single point in the other, or AF-C in one vs. AF-S in the other, etc.? If you go by what the experts say at DPreview.com, one has to use 9-point focus, single point, etc.

Are your focus mode/settings equivalent or identical in both cameras? For instance, you're not using Dynamic area in one vs. single point in the other, or AF-C in one vs. AF-S in the other, etc.? If you go by what the experts say at DPreview.com, one has to use 9-point focus, single point, etc.

Identical

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom