D7000 remote self-timer

Is it possible to activate D7000's self-timer by the remote ?

I was able to do remote shoot only when the D7000's dial setting is "Remote" icon, but not when it is self-timer....

I assume you're referring to the small, wireless, remote shutter release made by Nikon (I don't remember its name). That remote control, as you suspected, will release the shutter only when the dial on top of the camera is selecting the remote control icon.

What are you trying to accomplish that using the self-timer or the remote shutter release won't accomplish? I ask because there is probably a workaround.

Yes, that small remote release is what I am referring to.

My daughter is trying to do SELFIE by setting the D7000's self-timer (say, 5-second delay and 9 shots). She wants to fire the self-timer remotely...

I think the self-timer is what you want. Refer to page 214 of your User's Manual. The self-timer allows you to control the amount of time before the shutter is released the first time, the amount of time in between each shutter release, and the number of shots to be taken. Once you understand those settings, there is no need to fire the self-timer remotely; it fires all by itself once it is activated.

Alternatively, even if the remote control is hidden from view of the camera's lens, it will probably release the shutter when using the remote mode. This is especially true if the photo is being taken indoors. When indoors, you can point the remote control almost anywhere and it will release the shutter. That's because the infrared beam is bounced around the room a lot. (Similarly, I can point the television's remote control that uses an infrared beam in the opposite direction of the TV and it will still work.) In this case, your daughter can release the shutter any time she wants as many times as she wants.

Last edited:
I think the reason you want to fire SELF-Timer by remote is to enable AF when you are doing SELFIE.... and you can throw the remote from your hand so , after the first shot, the picture does not show you holding the remote ....

Just get some cheap remote hot shoe triggers and set the camera to self-timer before hand. Once you full press to release the shutter, the camera will countdown the timer before firing. I usually do this if I want get in a group photo.

I'm using a version of these triggers, but I'm sure you can find them used for cheap:
Yongnuo Wireless Flash Trigger

Last edited:
If using the remote, you can be there to be AF'ed. If you click the self-timer shutter yourself, you are not in the frame when AF goes on....

If using the remote, you can be there to be AF'ed. If you click the self-timer shutter yourself, you are not in the frame when AF goes on....
Well that explains why a recent self-photo was out of focus. I may try leaving a backpack or something in the frame next time until I'm able to get there.

As Omar suggested, place something in position. Use manual mode and focus on it or use AF mode and focus on it. Make sure the aperture is small enough so that your daughter is in focus once she moves into position. Activate the self-timer. Move into position. No remote control is needed.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom