D7000 still worth using in 2020?

Ahoi!

I want to restart my old hobby... I still own a D7000 in superb shape with some good lenses, mostly Sigma ones. I wonder now after so much time passed if the D7K is still worth using it or if I should upgrade the body to a D7500 to restart?
What are your thoughts? Photos is the primary goal but making videos with gadets like gimbaled Handsticks seems very interesting and affordable nowadays as well.

Thanks for you thoughts and recommendations.

Cheers.

kilofoxtrott

European Ambassador
Real Name
Klaus
It still takes photos, when you release the shutter?
The pictures are sharp and brilliant in colors?

You're in need for a new toy?

If you answer 2 of these questions with "Yes", you'll don't need a new camera... :D

Kind regards
Klaus

I'm still using my D7000 (it will be ten years in November) and am thoroughly enjoying it. I'm in the process of switching to a Z6 system but I'll continue to use the D7000 in my makeshift studio when making focus-stacked images using a macro lens.

In my mind you only need to ask yourself two questions:
  • Will a different camera make it possible to capture images or videos you otherwise wouldn't be able to capture?
  • Will a different camera make the process of making photos or videos significantly more enjoyable?
If the answer is "No" to both questions, your D7000 will continue to serve you just fine.

If you do decide to go for a new camera, keep in mind that a lot of people prefer the D7200 over the D7500 and that option might be well worth investigating.

Last edited:
I agree with the above, the d7000 is still a fine camera. It is no worse now than it was when it was new and king of the hill.
Get back to taking pictures. You know the camera, just go make art.
We all get in a period that we think we need to buy something to make our photography better. At least for me, buying a new lens works better than a new camera.
With a new lens I get a new perspective- which gives me a new way of seeing.
With a new camera I get a new camera. Unless it improves a specific area of need- like fast focus or high iso - my photographs do not change. In these cases I know what I need.
Go shoot for a year, then you will know what you need. That camera will also be a year newer than anything you could buy now.
Gary

Cheers guys.. I'm still happy with it and works like new... In this case I go ahead and get some fresh batteries to keep it going... Thank for the as advises :) may I spend a bit budget on some accessories for it ^^

You've gotten good advice above. I won't try to change your mind but will just point out that a D7200 would give you about one stop more dynamic range at all iso values. The D7500 is no better than the D7200 in that regard, so a D7200 would be the sweet spot for an upgrade should you choose to go that route.

But you probably wouldn't notice much difference in everyday use.

Thank you Pa... I think I'll stick with the D7000 for now... Maybe next year or two there might be newer model worth getting with much better picture quality and/or features... I think I hardly used the full potential of the D7000 yet so maybe it good to build on that after I'm into the topic again... I stopped 5 years ago and since then it just sitting in the bag... Which is sad since you had a lot of fun doing macros... Maybe I get a 50-100mm as travel lens so I can cover a lot while on tour and get a proper backpack for it... Running around with a small bag made me a bit mad since it was unpractical... Atm I got a Sigma 105mm macro, 10-20 wide and a 200mm zoom u can start playing around again... I just discovered my love for traveling as well so I think shooting raw is so much better than with a mobile phone 😃

By the way... Maybe one of you helpful souls knows that... I know long time ago there was a Homepage testing and comparing different lens manufactures with all bodies on the market... Someone knows that one? Thank you so much. :)

Unless you have Nikon Acquisition Syndrome (like most of the folks here) the D7000 is plenty good. Just make sure your lenses are up-to-par. Just start shooting and if you feel the need to upgrade, get a D7500!

By the way... Maybe one of you helpful souls knows that... I know long time ago there was a Homepage testing and comparing different lens manufactures with all bodies on the market... Someone knows that one? Thank you so much. :)
Common quantitative sites include:
https://www.dxomark.com
https://www.opticallimits.com (formerly PhotoZone)

But check out the hands-on reviews here a the Café; they are all real-world assessments.

What I recommended to a friend who was considering upgrading an even OLDER Canon T3 for his daughter.

If the camera is not holding you back, or giving you issues, there is no real reason to upgrade.

If YOU want/need a particular feature in a later model camera, then that might be a reason to consider upgrading.
  • Example1, My D7200 has a fixed rear screen. I've been belly down on the dirt, to get a LOW angle shot. I really do not want to do that in MUD. So a tilting rear screen of the D7500 might be an important feature for me. But it just wasn't important enough for me to upgrade for. It might be for someone else.
  • Example2, The Nikon D70S came with a WIRED remote release, which my D70 did not have. That single rather small item, was important enough for me to upgrade from the D70 to the D70S. Note, the D70 to D70S was a "minor" camera upgrade, like going from a D7000 to a D7005.
I know nothing about shooting video, so cannot give an option there.

Thank you Pa... I think I'll stick with the D7000 for now... Maybe next year or two there might be newer model worth getting with much better picture quality and/or features... I think I hardly used the full potential of the D7000 yet so maybe it good to build on that after I'm into the topic again... I stopped 5 years ago and since then it just sitting in the bag... Which is sad since you had a lot of fun doing macros... Maybe I get a 50-100mm as travel lens so I can cover a lot while on tour and get a proper backpack for it... Running around with a small bag made me a bit mad since it was unpractical... Atm I got a Sigma 105mm macro, 10-20 wide and a 200mm zoom u can start playing around again... I just discovered my love for traveling as well so I think shooting raw is so much better than with a mobile phone 😃
The Sigma 50-100/1.8 is a rather large/heavy lens, with a rather short zoom range. I would not consider that a travel lens.
There is an old saying, "what is easy to carry in the store for 5 minutes, will feel heavy after several hours, and REAL HEAVY after a week."

My GP/travel lens would be the Nikon 18-140.
Couple that with a 35/1.8, for indoor low light, and you have a nice 2-lens kit.

Thanks so much for all your inputs :) I just ordered some new batteries and a nice shoulder strap for it.... I'll check out the lenses... I think a 50-55mm fixed lengh and a combo lens will do a great addition to the ones I already own... Thank you very very much. I shall checkout also the forums here for a good software to edit the RAWs... I'm not a big fan of the AdobeCloud solutions... Some Offline working software I think is much better to start again :3 Cheers!!!!

a 50-55mm fixed lengh
50mm lenses will generally be considerably less expensive.

I'm not a big fan of the AdobeCloud solutions... Some Offline working software I think is much better to start again
If you're thinking that Adobe's Creative Cloud products require using the cloud, that's a common misconception; everything including the software application and your images can be retained on your local hard drive (as I do). Updating the software application requires being connected to the Internet but that's the only time that's so.

...I shall checkout also the forums here for a good software to edit the RAWs... I'm not a big fan of the AdobeCloud solutions... Some Offline working software I think is much better to start again :3 Cheers!!!!
Since you are just restarting your journey into photography the simplest and most cost effective software would be the free Nikon software which you can download from their website. While it is not the most powerful software out there it is simple to use for basic editing. It also has the advantage of displaying your images as closely as possible to what you see on the camera screen. Also as you gain experience using the software you will learn what features are important to you, what's missing, etc. As your rediscovered interest in photography grows you can explore other options which require financial investment.

The Sigma 50-100/1.8 is a rather large/heavy lens, with a rather short zoom range. I would not consider that a travel lens.
There is an old saying, "what is easy to carry in the store for 5 minutes, will feel heavy after several hours, and REAL HEAVY after a week."

My GP/travel lens would be the Nikon 18-140.
Couple that with a 35/1.8, for indoor low light, and you have a nice 2-lens kit.
Thanks for the tip :) I'll check out some hands-on tests for that for sure...

As honest a response as we've seen in a long time! You'll go far with that kind of candor!
Hahahaha yea Well... Just Bein honest ^^ I fell in love with the D7000 when it was new and I actually sold it as salesman several time for... Around 1.7k when I was works as salesman in Switzerland... Then 5 years ago I was able to get my hands on a kit for like 700 which was a no thinker buy and I didn't regret that so far. :)

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom