D7000 tricks and tips

I've found that if you crank up the in-camera sharpness and saturation, you can get some stunning photos. I'm using the D7000 with a Tamron 17-50, non-BIM lens. I found my photos lacked the critical sharpness I wanted. I got a tip from a Nikonian, and cranked the in-camera sharpness from 3 (Nikon's default setting) to 7. I upped both the contrast and saturation by one notch each. My photos began to pop. This might not work with all lenses, but I certainly enjoy these settings.

Feel free to share any D7000 tips or tricks you might have discovered.

I assume the D7000 high ISO is "amazing". Is that right?

They say a picture is worth a thousand words, so I hope this answers high ISO performance for you:

Exposure 1/13
Aperture f/4.5
ISO Speed 3200

Tokina 16-50 shot @ 16mm handheld, I did not apply noise reduction.

5645118129_8900e2ace2_b.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

This works for jpegs with all software as the settings are "baked in" (unreverseable) and with Nikon software only for NEF's. Other software doesn't use Nikons in camera settings on raw files.

It's the best of any DX camera I've used. But it's not at the level of my D700.

Agreed. The D7000 high ISO is the best yet for DX, but it's still about a stop short at ISO1600 and up IMHO. Remarkable how well full-frame does even though that sensor is a little over two years older than the D7000's one.

On a separate topic in this thread -- when you've turned on Vivid, do you use that with people pictures? I had tried Vivid shooting when I first got a dSLR, but eventually realized that it was making faces too warm and messing with skin. But that was a different camera.

I haven't tried it on shots of people yet. I've just been trying to get my settings adjusted with shots around the house and yard. As for the warm skin tones...I just drag all of em to Lightroom. No problems.

Thanks for the replies! I'm debating on this camera but having a hard time pulling the trigger.

CU2MIKE- you handheld that at 1/13 exposure???

Thanks for the replies! I'm debating on this camera but having a hard time pulling the trigger.

CU2MIKE- you handheld that at 1/13 exposure???

That's affirmative!
Sat down on the ground and pushed the camera against my glasses, took a deep breath and held it in while I snapped the shot.
All of the pictures in that set are handheld shots.

Thanks for the info Mark. I also uploaded my custom presets from my D700 to the D7000 and configured "My Menu" the way I had my FX camera just to avoid confusion on my part. Also don't forget to calibrate or test the auto fine tune feature to ensure your lenses are spot on with your D7000 especially if you are coming from a D90 or other entry level models. It worked out very well.

battery_test.jpg

I agree that the D700 is one stop better than the D7000 but that's still pretty good for a DX.

I shoot the D7K at ISO5000 on a regular basis...and with NO post p :eek:
My Tip: Learn your camera/settings, gentlemen. :wink:

de8c4ba4.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Great shot, Will! I was peeking at the EXIF and noticed you used aperture priority. Were you also using Auto-ISO?
Thanks, Mark! No, I never use it. I found ISO5000 the limit for SOOC uploads
to my website with the D7K, so I shoot wide open in little or no light with the fast glass.
That is a nice shot Will!

Aww... man... you aren't going to post your secret recipe? :biggrin:
Trial and error...I'm on my 3rd D7K and have got it tweaked to do my bidding.
When things get hairy out comes the D3 but this lil DX has saved my butt more
than once pickin' up a gig that runs late into the "poor light". Thanks! :wink:
(I will tell ya D-Lighting has it's place at the higher ISO's)

Feel free to flame if this is not a tipmat all... Or a standard feature on all Nikon SLR's... But if it is I never niticed it on my D200 and I figure others might be just as blind as I am... Or not, of course :redface:

When shooting in A-mode or S-mode, the "unused" thumbwheel actually controls ISO.

That was quite a revelation for me when I figured that out.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom