D7000 video/mic question

I just purchased a better external microphone for casual videoing. Most sources I found said to turn the camera's microphone to OFF when using an external mic so there's no conflict. But, when I did that, no sound was recorded at all... When I turn it back on, then there's sound. So, I'm wondering what's going on, and if my external mic is actually doing the sound pick up or if it's being picked up by the camera's microphone... the sound at louder levels isn't what I was expecting from a good quality external mic... a bit crackly and distorted, despite setting the microphone to handle that. Is there something I can do to make sure the external mic is actually doing the recording?

When you plug in an external mic it automatically turns off the built in mic. Another option is to get something like a zoom H1 audio recorder
and mount it on top of your camera as your main recorder and add the sound in editing. Then the built in mic is like a back-up - sort of
like having dual card slots :)

When you plug in an external mic it automatically turns off the built in mic. Another option is to get something like a zoom H1 audio recorder
and mount it on top of your camera as your main recorder and add the sound in editing. Then the built in mic is like a back-up - sort of
If that's the case, then I'm chasing a rainbow unicorn when it comes to sound, because the results of the Shure don't sound like $200+ better than the built in mic... in fact, it sounds very very similar! :(

Another option is to get something like a zoom H1 audio recorder
Heaven forbid... the LAST thing I want is to get into PP with video and sound. All I want is SOC video with decent sound quality already attached! Is that too hard to ask these days?

Sound is also about placement of the mic and the acoustics of the room [if you're indoors].
At something like a wedding people advise having a lapel mic and external recorder on the groom
or the recorder plugged directly into the DJ's amp.

Heaven forbid... the LAST thing I want is to get into PP with video and sound. All I want is SOC video with decent sound quality already attached! Is that too hard to ask these days?
Not that hard to ask, it just adds quite a few complications when you consider an external mic, maybe bad plug connections, battery goes flat ... much safer to just have a good
external recording AND internal as back-up.

Thanks Dez. I appreciate the help and thoughts.
I am assuming that the new mic is working properly out of the box, all else considered. :)

I changed a few settings, and had slightly better results yesterday... still some clipping at the loudest parts of the recording. What would really help is if the camera would be capable of showing the sound settings in some sort of live mode, but the D7000 isn't capable of that, so I have to work with its limitations.

Some more background: I'm recording a variety of musical performances in my church. The one I've been working with is going to be the loudest: around 15 instruments (from violin to flute to bass to trumpet), and a choir singing along, so lots going on. Given all that, and my latest attempts, I'm not worried about the other numbers. I have my camera and mic set about 40 ft. from the whole orchestra/choir. I can get further away, maybe twice that far, but then I run into problems with lens choices for the rest of the performances... I don't really have time between each one to make major changes. So, I'm stuck with using my D7000 + either my 18-55 or my 28-70.

Once again, with am external recorder you can adjust sensitivity of even leave it on auto mode so you won't get any clipping. On another not you could pick up a Panasonic G5 really cheap and it shows sound levels and can record continuously at 24fpx, until the battery runs flat with no more worrying about recording times. The G7 is a lot better in low light 8f you want to spend a little more.

I assume none of my Nikon lenses would fit the Panasonics? Not to be ornery, but I'd rather not get into another whole camera system just for video a couple times a year. :) I'd rather just make what I have work...

I understand what you mean but then you are investing in sound gear on a body that isn't all that good for video, though not bad. You could probably buy a G5 for $100 plus an adapter, which would mean manual focus, with the option to use a 0.7x viltrox "speed booster" which would make your Nikon primes another stop faster. My Tamron 17-50 2/8 becomes a constant f2

I understand what you mean but then you are investing in sound gear on a body that isn't all that good for video, though not bad. You could probably buy a G5 for $100 plus an adapter, which would mean manual focus, with the option to use a 0.7x viltrox "speed booster" which would make your Nikon primes another stop faster. My Tamron 17-50 2/8 becomes a constant f2
I look at it as investing in good sound gear for my next body(ies) which will be much better for videoing, and just using it with the D7000 for now. :):):)

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom