D7000 With Heavy Lenses

In the past, there was concern out in Internet land about heavy lenses (ie - 70-200 2.8) hanging off of plastic bodies such as the D90. In fact, I recall seeing some photos of the D90 mount broken off of the body because of the heft of some lenses.

Does anyone know if this would be a similar concern with a D7000? My understanding is that the D7000 is built with magnesium alloy only on the top and back of the body.

Any thoughts on this?

Thanks, John

In the past, there was concern out in Internet land about heavy lenses (ie - 70-200 2.8) hanging off of plastic bodies such as the D90. In fact, I recall seeing some photos of the D90 mount broken off of the body because of the heft of some lenses.

Does anyone know if this would be a similar concern with a D7000? My understanding is that the D7000 is built with magnesium alloy only on the top and back of the body.

Any thoughts on this?

Thanks, John

Never had the problem with my D70s... had a 70-200 2.8 Sigma + 2x TC hanging of it...

70-200 is typically supported by the lens (the lens has a foot for tripod use), not the camera, so that shouldn't be an issue. When you hand hold, your left arm should be taking most of the weight.

Hanging round your neck or over your shoulder the weight of the lens will angle the camera down, so again the issue should be minimal. I imagine a very hard knock would be needed to actually damage the mount...

Any thoughts on this?

Thanks, John

I am skeptical that the only issue at play in that instance (which to be fair I haven't seen the photos of) was the weight of the lens that was attached.

I am skeptical that the only issue at play in that instance (which to be fair I haven't seen the photos of) was the weight of the lens that was attached.

I agree that there was likely some trauma to the camera/lens in the photo I saw. But thought I'd ask for opinions relative to the D70 since it in fact does have a somewhat stronger build than the D90 (albeit, not in the mount area from my understanding).

If the lens is heavier than the body, it should always be supported. I've had the likes of
the 200 f2, 300 f2.8, and 200-400 f4 VR's w/wo TC's on my D7K so far. 20K clicks later...
no issues. Common sense should tell ya to carry with the tripod foot, eh?! :eek: :biggrin:

Thanks all...I never walk around with it dangling...the strap is a perfect length for my camera to drape over my shoulder and allows me to cup the end of the lens in my hand. My question was more a curiosity than anything.

With my 80-200 on the D7K, I always hold it by the lens if I'm doing anything with the camera. If I'm making adjustments from the menus, I still hold the lens while making adjustments.

I always support my lens on my D7000. Even on the D700 you don't want to allow more than the camera's weight to be on the mount.

I know two guys who are canon shooters and use their RS Straps and attach them to the bodies and walk around with them dangling down.

It makes me cringe a bit since not only is there a lot of weight dangling from those 70-200 2.8 L lenses, but it also makes the "dangle" lower like knee height.... so you could nail some low level stuff that normally wouldn't be an issue if you had it connected to the tri pod foot.

Anyone else have opinions on that?

I'd support the lens no matter what body is attached. And I've had a 70-200 on a D80, D90, and D7000. I try to never let the camera body support the full weight.

While the D7000 has magnesium parts in its body, it's not full magnesium and the lens mount area sure looks like the D80's and D90's did.

I had a 24-70 attached to a D90, inside a bag. Unfortunately there was an accident and the bag fell onto concrete. Only a few feet, but even with the bag's padding there was enough of a blow. The lens ripped most of the D90's lens mount off. The lens was fine. Nikon replaced the D90's mount for a fee, and then the camera was fine too.

The difference with a D300/D700 is that such an accident might rip off the lens's mount instead. There have been posts on other forums showing both things happening. Depends on the impact, too.

When I use a RS its attached to the body and the 70-200 is touching the bottom of my back pocket. Just cinch it up sp its not so low. If I am moving fast or bouncing around I hold it by the lens, but for just walking I have had no problem with a D0, D90 or D7000 (so far).

If the lens is heavier than the body, it should always be supported. I've had the likes of
the 200 f2, 300 f2.8, and 200-400 f4 VR's w/wo TC's on my D7K so far. 20K clicks later...
no issues. Common sense should tell ya to carry with the tripod foot, eh?! :eek: :biggrin:

+1,001.

and when the glass comes with it's own strap: use it.

The biggest lens I own right now is the 80-200 AF-D, and I always cradle it when attached to my D90. Even with a more robust body, I would never hold the body with a big ol' lens attached.

+1,001.

and when the glass comes with it's own strap: use it.

Unfortunately the 70-200 doesn't have a strap which IMO is a shame. The lens foot is a bit small for a carry handle so I must admit I find carrying it around a bit of a problem.
I have considered a replacement foot ( expensive) but considering the price of the lens you shouldn't have these dilemmas !
cheers Dave

K

khaz3al

i carry the lens with a d5100 hanging off it lol.. 70-200, even the 24-70.

You are supposed to hold the lens with left hand on any body. In fact that is the proper way to hold any lens, heavy or not. And keep the pinky finger down, not up.

Same hold but rotate shutter release up for vertical shots unless you have a grip.

Thumb on left side of lens, first finger on right. ALWAYS.

You are supposed to hold the lens with left hand on any body. In fact that is the proper way to hold any lens, heavy or not. And keep the pinky finger down, not up.

Same hold but rotate shutter release up for vertical shots unless you have a grip.

Thumb on left side of lens, first finger on right. ALWAYS.

That's to take a picture, not carrying it around. Thats when life gets difficult.
cheers Dave

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom