D7000

I'm very sorry if this has been discussed, but I'd like to know peoples experiences going to a D7000 from a D300.

While I love my D300 and it's robust body I'm a little curious about video and the high MP for cropping. I can't find a D7000 around me to test out so please share your thoughts.

What did you miss making the switch and what did you like about it?

I've had two D300's over the years, but recently sold the last one (and the D90 as well) to buy the D7000. I didn't do it for the extra MP's or the video capabilities. I did it for two reasons: l like the smaller body (it's almost the same size as the D90 and D50 - which I loved), and I wanted the best possible high ISO performance. If there's anything I miss, it would be the EN-EL3e batteries and the CF cards. It's a slight tradeoff.

However, I'm completely satisfied with my decision and have no buyers/sellers remorse.

I think it is an improvement over a D300, but not earth shaking. My last DX was a D200 and the D7000 was a big improvement. In fact it comes close if not equal to FX cameras at lower ISO.

If I were you, I would wait for a D300 replacement. My guess is it will be the same sensor and processor a D7000 in a more robust body.

Thanks guys, Ron I do agree that the D300 is great for sports but it's not too often I need the 8FPS. I really need to find a D7000 to test drive for a couple days.

I think it is an improvement over a D300, but not earth shaking. My last DX was a D200 and the D7000 was a big improvement. In fact it comes close if not equal to FX cameras at lower ISO.

If I were you, I would wait for a D300 replacement. My guess is it will be the same sensor and processor a D7000 in a more robust body.

That was my thinking too but at $1100 I think thats a steal. I would assume the replacement to the D300s would be in the $1800-$2000 range.

This is a common thread in the forums and at times, not always, it reflects confusion about selecting gear.
All cameras, new and old, are capable of producing fine images. This should not come as a surprise since the photographer has a lot to do with it. No new camera or lens will make anyone a better photographer and we know that also.
In the case of Mark, he needed better high ISO performance from a DX body and since he already owns the D700, the D7000 will serve his purpose very well.
Cameras like the D200 and D2X are excellent. They offer pretty good image quality and awesome colors out of camera just to mention some of their attributes. Both fail miserably when it comes to high ISO performance and I understand by high ISO performance the images the camera is capable of when set to ISO 1000 or beyond.
Nikon has introduced with their new cameras what they call "Picture Control." This feature allows tweaking colors to taste, in cameras with this feature and with their software. In my humble opinion that has opened a new opportunity for the photographer interested, like many are, in better color reproduction out of their files. I use a custom color curve that I designed for my D300 that emulates the colors of the D200 but I also use the simulated built-in colors of the D2X. In my case, I am more interested in those colors than in high ISO performance.
To make this short, you need to borrow or rent the camera and use it before making a final decision to buy it. You need to be sure the camera will serve your purpose. I tell you the D300 is an awesome camera and for those in need, it has plenty of megapixels, at least for me, in addition to one of the best AF made by Nikon.
If we set our priorities then buying a new camera should be an easy task.

William Rodriguez
Miami, Florida.

Owned a D300 and now shoot a D7000, D300s and D700.

D7000 pros over D300:
  • Better IQ
  • 14 bit raw with no slowdown
  • Better high ISO
  • MF viewfinder indicator arrows like D700
  • 16 MP
  • improved UI

D300 pros over D7000:
  • Larger buffer
  • Faster framerate with grip
  • Small AF advantage in speed
  • Larger AF advantage in low light
  • CF - no need to buy new cards
  • better build/weather sealing

The size and weight is a both a bug and a feature. Easier to carry, but harder to hold (for me at least) and doesn't balance as well on larger lenses.

I would characterize it as producing better quality files, but not as easier to capture those files due to the AF and framerate differences.

I would rate it as a definite upgrade over the D300, but less so over a D300s

I do not shoot video, so that's a whole different discussion I guess.

I just "downgraded" from a D300s to a D7000. I did this mainly for two reasons
1) better dynamic range, ISO 100 and high ISO performance and
2) smaller body.

The high iso performance is certainly a worthwile step up - the D7000 + 35mm f/1.8 makes a killer combo for indoor shooting. Without having done any rigorous tests myself, initial impression is that it is at least a stop better than the D300s in indoor lightning. Remember, people pay big $$$ for f/2.8 lenses over f/4 lenses.

I don't expect the extra 4 MP to make a big difference, but base ISO 100 with excellent DR should be very nice for landscapes.
The body size is a personal thing, either you like smallish or biggish. Mounting the 35mm f/1.8, or a compact zoom like the 16-85mm, the whole set-up feels a lot more compact and luggable, even though the weight difference is not actually that big. The downside of this is that although the grip is good, it's not hand-in-glove to me (having long hands) like the D300s. For big tele-zooms. I think the best choice is D300s (or wait for its update).

I also think I like the U1/U2 settings better than the menu setting banks of the D300s. The better video is also a plus, although not that important.
I do miss the separate AF-on AE-lock buttons. I have reprogrammed the AE-lock to AF-on - couldn't live without that now, and reprogrammed the DoF preview button on the front to AE-L.

The build of the D7000 should be more than adequate for most amateurs like me, but the build does not have the ruggedness of the D300s. I also liked the slightly more sticky rubber panels of the D300s.

SD cards vs CF cards is no big issue for me, nor is the limited buffer capacity. Having two card slots is certainly very nice.

When I upgraded from a D70 to D300s a year ago, I had been sitting on the fence to see if the D90 successor would appear before summer. Well it didn't, and as I didn't expect the successor to have upgraded specs close to the D300s (notably excellent AF, 100% viewfinder, support for AI-s lenses), i bought D300s. But when the D7000 eventually appeared, I just started feeling that this was exactly the right camera for me. Well, I've only had it for 4 days, I guess I'll learn over summer whether I made the right decision.

Great points everyone, I finally got to hand hold one and it just doesn't sit right. I absolutely love the huge form of the D300 and can't see myself being happy with a smaller form. I guess it shall be a waiting game for the replacement D300 or just putting away for a D3s.

I also "downgraded" from a D300s to the D7000 a few weeks ago. Hard to part with the D300s... The main reason was I wanted smaller and lighter body. When I upgraded from D70 to D300 it wanted to be able to use my old MF lenses and I didn't really think the size would bother me so much.

I find it to be noticable smaller and lighter to carry. It was quite easy for me to get used to the smaller grip but then I mostly use prime lenses. Due to the size of the D300s I had been using my GF1 a lot lately, and that has no grip to speak of... I also decided that if I ever want a D300-styled body later on it might as well be a D700 replacement.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom