D70s at minus 30 celsius -field report

I've often wondered how my camera (D70s) would hold up in the cold, so I thought some of you might find this interesting. This is not meant to be scientific, just my personal experience with the D70s. I've recently returned from a trip to Banff, Alberta (50/50 snowboarding and photography) and overall, I was pretty impressed with how the camera and lenses performed under the conditions.

Some examples:

At -30 celsius one day, and -26 celsius a different day for about 5 hours (each time):

Camera body worked well for the first 3.5 to 4 hours, and then started to have issues after that. For example, the shutter would fire, but nothing would get written to the memory card (Sandisk Ultra II 2GB). At first I thought the card was at fault so swapped a warm card, but same problem occurred. I noticed that the green card-access indicator was not even coming on, so I presume the issue was with the camera body (a fresh battery did not resolve the problem). As well, the shutter sounded different on these occasions. This would happen for about 5-10 shutter releases in a row, then it would successfully take a few pictures, then the issue would repeat.

Although new images were not being recorded, the camera would redisplay the previously stored picture, which gave me a false sense that a picture was actually being taken. But later I noticed the problem when I realized the picture counter wasn't changing. In other cases a picture would get recorded but the top and bottom would have black vertical bands.

The battery did reasonably well, and I swapped to a warm battery after about 3 hours (I had two fully charged batteries: EN-EL3a, EN-EL3e).

Eventually (5 hours at -30c) the mirror slapped up and did not come back down (froze open?). After toggling the power switch a few times, it eventually released. I also started getting "this card cannot be used" errors. I was concerned that I would start corrupting the memory card and lose the photos I had already taken, so I decided to call it a day and go inside and warm up. I do not think there was any permanent damage from the shutter getting stuck as it has worked fine since then.

No issues with the lenses (12-24DX, 85/1.4, 10.5 DX), although the zoom ring on the 12-24 started to get stiff, but I never got the impression it was going to seize-up.

I wondered if the camera body would have lasted longer had I not been making so many lens changes, as opening up the camera let the cold get inside :biggrin:

In retrospect, it's good the camera gave-out as my toes were getting cold anyway :tongue:

At -15 celsius for about 6 hours:

No major issues with the camera or any of the lenses. The viewfinder LCD and back LCD became a bit sluggish after about 2 hours, but otherwise the operation of the camera was not affected. I got the sense the camera could have gone longer than 6 hours, but the sun was going down and I started heading back.

I started with fully charged batteries (x2) and swapped to a fresh/warm battery after approx 5 hours and 300 photos because the battery meter suddenly plummeted. I suspect the first battery would have recovered after being warmed up in my pants pocket, but I was not outside long enough to test this and the second battery held up until I got back inside.

-

In all cases, the D70s was attached to a 681B monopod and RC head and exposed to the outside the whole time, and I didn't make any efforts to keep it warm or cover it up. I speculated that being attached to the aluminum monopod caused the camera body to cool down faster as the monopod was a giant cold-magnet, and that if I not used the monopod the camera may have performed better/longer. I also considered getting one of those chemical hand-warmers things and attaching it to the camera body to keep it warm, but never got around to it.

Also of note, When going from the outside back inside, I used zip lock bags on the camera body and each lens, and never had any issues with fogging/condensation (thanks to nikoncafe where I read this tip). Lenses that were not being used where carried in a lowepro backpack (so naturally, they were not exposed to the outside except while being used).

Interesting report.

Since the camera was exposed to the low temperatures the entire time - i.e. not kept under a coat or something, I'm sure the entire camera soon reached ambient temperature (-30C) throughout, so opening it up would have no effect on its temperature. There could have been a moisture effect, but at that temperature I wouldn't expect any moisture problems either, unless you actually got snow or ice in it.

Are you sure your problems weren't simply caused by a battery weakened from the cold? Or there could have been some residual moisture which froze after exposure.

Interesting report.

Since the camera was exposed to the low temperatures the entire time - i.e. not kept under a coat or something, I'm sure the entire camera soon reached ambient temperature (-30C) throughout, so opening it up would have no effect on its temperature. There could have been a moisture effect, but at that temperature I wouldn't expect any moisture problems either, unless you actually got snow or ice in it.

Are you sure your problems weren't simply caused by a battery weakened from the cold? Or there could have been some residual moisture which froze after exposure.

Those are good questions. It may have been battery related, as I had swapped to my second battery, and was running on it for about an hour before I started getting the weird behaviour - it is possible that my 2nd got worn down just enough to be the cause of the problems. Although I kept the 2nd battery warm, it would not have been as warm as the first battery from the start. I did try temporarily swapping my first battery back in, but it had not yet warmed up enough to usable so I stayed with the 2nd.

The moisture angle is a definite possibility especially with the shutter freeze-up, because there had been snow falling on me from trees during my time outside and I was changing lenses at various points. It is conceivable that some of this got into the camera and eventually froze.

Interesting. My D200 in -15-20C didn't have write or LCD problems, but the battery was rather weak (1/2 normal life) as well as having one period where AF simply would not work. Was fine after warming up again. Odd.

Ming

Interesting. My D200 in -15-20C didn't have write or LCD problems, but the battery was rather weak (1/2 normal life) as well as having one period where AF simply would not work. Was fine after warming up again. Odd.

Ming

That is interesting, in my case, i did not experience any AF failures even down to -30C. I noticed the AF got a bit noisier on my screw-drive lens (85/1.4), though it seemed to focus just as quickly and accurately. I don't have any sample points between -15C and -26C so can't be sure where my failure point on the D70s might start - assuming of course that it wasn't related to moisture getting into the camera as noted above.

Poor camera:>)))
If I were in those temps, I would be dead to......

:tongue: it's good the camera gave up when it did, forcing me to go inside, or I might have (foolishly) stayed outside for several more hours chasing the perfect shot and probably getting some frostbite -- I had heavy gloves, but of course who wants to operate a camera with gloves on :biggrin:

Latest threads

Top Bottom