D70s - Focus Trigger - Now I know "Trap Focus"

Discussion in 'General Technical Discussion' started by PhotoByMark, Jul 9, 2005.

1. I thought I remember reading somewhere that you can set the D70/D70s to trigger(take a photo) based on a set focus. I know about using Focus Lock using AE-L/AF-L button to set focus but you still have to press the shutter button.

Isn't there a way to set the focus and have camera firing off a pic when something comes into focus?

I have looked all over in the manual and also searched the web for such info but I did not find the information I read. It was some time ago so maybe I am just mistaken.

2. Trap Focus Technique

Hi Mark,

It sounds to me like you're thinking about trap focus.

In your D70, set your AE-L/AF-L button to AF-On in your menu (#15 in the pencil group--the exact group name escapes me at the moment). Your shutter release button will no longer initiate focus.

Also set your Autofocus to AF-S (#2 in that same pencil group). The shutter won't release until the camera has focussed on a subject.

Use your AF-L button and focus on something that will be the same distance as the object you wish to photograph. Release the button and move the camera away from the particular object that was focussed upon, so that nothing is in focus.

Frame your shot and press the shutter and keep it pressed. Since nothing in your frame is in focus, the shutter won't release. When your desired subject enters the frame and is at the focus distance, your shutter should release and you've got your shot.

It's been a while since I tried this focus technique. In case I missed a step, you might want to do some searches of the various photo forums for trap focus.

Hope this gets you started.

Glenn

3. Oh - Thank you! Just spent an hour Googling for this.

I was trying things like "focus, trigger, D70" but not getting the correct info.

4. You're very welcome.

Glenn

5. Ok - Got to play for about 5 minutes. That is pretty interesting. I will have to experiment more with that.

Both taken use trap focus

24793658_5cda4c6e73_o.

24793699_e90ac2dc17_o. [/img]

6. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Excellent...
    I guess I learned something also.

Thank you both.