D70S settings which make you happy!

I bought a D70S the other day to carry with me more frequently than my D1X (because of weight) especially when travelling. I kind of tried to duplicate my D1X settings before even taking a shot and I have been quite happy with the result.

I'm wondering though if D70/D70S users can post their preferred settings to give us an idea of what work for them?

K

Ken-L

I'm sure there's a good argument for not changing any settings, and "simply" use post-processing to get what you want. On the other hand, Nikon gave us an awful lot of adjustable values so we can use them.....

You will get lots of opinions (about everything) and especially how you "ought" to set up your camera, and "why" - some people feel they have to defend how they do it rather than accept the notion that there may be others with valid opinions. Often "opinions" ignore facts and common sense, since it is how the indivudual photographer views his own work and results that is. to me the most important issue. Can you imagine how many people looked at early works by Dali, or Picasso, or Van Gogh, and dismissed it as "garbage"?

I shoot RAW+JPG, so I can change just about anything I want after the shot. I try to set up my camera as a "Point & Shoot" so that my post-processing is minimal, and I can often use what I get right out of the camera. This is how I'm set up now:

In the Optimize Image, Custom Menu:

Sharpness: +1
Tone Comp: +1 Medium High (Overridden when using the custom curve)
Color Mode: IIIa (sRGB)
Saturation: Normal
Hue: -3

Then install sReala_Ver_2a curve (or don't....)

Hi Ken,

Thanks for sharing your settings. Do you use the same for people and nature pictures?

By the way, what version of Nikon View can accept downloads of D70s files, or do you use Picture Project?

K

Ken-L

I use the same settings for everything, but that's more likely because I am too lazy to do anything different!

I don't know of any differences in D70s as opposed to D70 files. I use Nikon Capture, and Nikon View. Lately I have not been using programs for transferring the files from my CF card to my computer, I just copy or move them from the CF card to a new folder using Windows.

Smack dab between the Wolverines and the Spartans
Take this for what it's worth, given that I'm new to photography and have had my D70 for a little less than 2 months! I'm happy with these settings right now:

Sharpening +1
Tone comp: sReala version 2 custom curve
Color mode: Ia
Saturation: enhanced
Hue adjustment: 0

Before I downloaded the sReala2 curve, I kept my ev set to +0.3 all of the time to boost the exposure, which also gave me blown highlights all over the place! I've been very happy with the curve, because now I can leave the ev on 0.0 most of the time...it gives me an exposure that I like with very few blown highlights.

My preferred setting is......
ON.
Just a thought :)

I use:
Color mode III (sRGB)
Tone Comp: Point & Shoot 4 custom curve
Sharpening normal
RAW for artistic and important stuff, or JPEG FINE when just mucking about or when large numbers of pictures are needed.
Saturation: Enhanced
Hue: 0

I have A D70 not S but my current prefered settings are:

Sharpening A
Tone comp -1
Color mode IIIa
Stauration + enhansed
Hue -3

Shooting everything this way and doing very little PP only a little levels

Mike

I took this one today. Photo is only resized for the web, Settings were as I listed above

46245362.DSC_0127.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

K

Ken-L

Re: Dumb question...

Pa said:
Do the "Optimize Image" settings affect the RAW file?

Yes, if you use Nikon Capture, it will display the RAW image with all the settings used in effect when the picture was taken. These can all be changed in Nikon Capture during post-processing.

For me that is an essential feature since I shoot all my images as RAW+JPG.

It's interesting to see as I read your settings that it is indeed "different strokes for different folks" . thank you for sharing, folks.

AFS, thank you too for posting a pic to illustrate your preferred settings. I wonder if others can do the same? Please post both people and nature pics.

I'd really appreciate it guys. That would also expedite my personal testing using different settings based on yours. It would be interesting what I would eventually end up at least for awhile until the experimentation bug bites again.

K

Ken-L

sarhento said:
Please post both people and nature pics.

Here's one of each, both using the settings I indicated.

24077935_d349cd1e18_b.jpg

23924661_29245d0516_o.jpg

Hi,

I am in the process of reacquainting myself with the D70. I sold my first D70 and got a D2H. I recently purchased a D70 as a backup and am enjoying it all over again.

I'm now trying these settings: ISO 200 whenever possible, Low Contrast, Normal Saturation, Color Mode II RGB, AWB -2 and Hue -3. I shoot Raw and process every shot in Capture, so I view my settings as starting points and feel free to alter them during my postprocessing.

Here are some recent D70 shots:

28524050-L.jpg

28524066-L.jpg

28524062-L.jpg

28524048-L.jpg

I've tried several curves, but find that they hit-or-miss too haphazardly for me.

Glenn

Hey Tosh,

Those are great pictures. I like the colours. Do you convert it to sRGB before posting them? How much post processing do you do?

Sarhento,

Thanks for your kind comment.

To answer your questions, I just recently started converting images slated for the web to sRGB. I do the conversion and image resizing (1200 pixel maximum length) in Photoshop. I also do a little more sharpening as I find the conversion and resizing to diminish image sharpness.

As for postprocessing, on an image I care about I probably spend 3-4 minutes mucking about in Capture: adjusting Exp. Comp. in Advanced Raw based on the histogram, simple Curves, Sharpening with USM (72/5/4), occasional use of LCH's Chroma to boost saturation (you can pick and choose the colors to affect). In Advanced Raw, I might play with Tone Comp. if I find the image too hazy or blanched out. I might also activate D-Lighting to see if that improves the image.

I prefer to crop in Photoshop and do any local area touchups there as well.

Glenn

I shoot everything in RAW, post-process in Capture and use the following as a starting point (with the sReala version 2 curve loaded, but not selected, so it becomes the available User-Defined choice in Capture): ISO 200 whenever possible, Low Contrast, Normal Saturation, Color Mode II RGB, AWB -1 (or Expodisc), Sharpening Low, and Hue 0.

Ken,

Quick question on your 2 posted shots. How do you get that perforated edge border on your images? Is that an action?

Thanks.

Glenn

K

Ken-L

Tosh said:
Ken, Quick question on your 2 posted shots. How do you get that perforated edge border on your images? Is that an action?
Thanks.
Glenn

That dotted edge signifies that this forum website has reduced the size of the image to the acceptable 960 pixels wide.

Latest threads

Top Bottom