1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

D70s Vs. D40

Discussion in 'Nikon DX DSLR Forum' started by smodak, Jul 7, 2007.

1. smodak

smodak

Jun 11, 2007
    Franklin MA US
    My friend is getting those two for almost the same price (the D70s is a cameta demo and comes with a few more accessories like bag etc., D40 is a brand new one from CC). He is new to DSLR. I have never shot with either D70s or D40 (I do own D1H, D2H and a D200). If I were him, I would take the D70s just for the reason that it can take non AF-S lenses and the DOF preview button...But he cannot decide and I cannot tell him what to get..

He also quotes Ken Rockwell
    "Get the Nikon D200 if you don't mind the weight.
    Get a Nikon D40 for everything else.
    Get the Canon 5D if you work on a tripod.
    Forget the rest."

but then again, I asked him to take Ken with a grain of salt.

He also says that he would shoot RAW so a good JPEG engine would not matter.

What say you?
    --
    -thedeveloper

2. If you can't, I certainly can't.

Since he likes Rockwell enough to quote him, he should take Rockwell's advice.

And tell him this is not like getting a tattoo. Decisions about gear are easily reversible. If he finds he doesn't like his first choice or outgrows it, he can always swap without much loss or pain.

3. genehsu

genehsu

Apr 15, 2007
    Seattle
    One thing that tipped the decision for me (between the D70s and D50 and the competing Canon models) is how the cameras felt in my hand. The D70s felt "right", while the D50 felt slightly small. The Canon models felt small and plasticky.

4. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    It all comes down to the lenses Smo. If your friend has camera driven AF lenses, get the D70s. No lenses, and likes shallow DOF or low light, get the D70s (cause fast primes don't have AFS yet.) Has no lenses and wants zoom lenses, VR, and AFS (you might need to explain what that is) then go for the D40.

If your friend is putting a lot of credence in Ken Rockwell, then be sure he reads Rockwell's Seven Levels of Photographers as it explains how important these little decisions are. It's also Ken's best writing style.

5. Why the 5D on a tripod? Makes no sense.

6. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    Cause it's expensive and you don't want to drop it?

7. smodak

smodak

Jun 11, 2007
    Franklin MA US
    He does not have lenses...and may be he will use mostly in the P&S mode...so D40 may work out better for him...at the same time he might want to play with shallow DOF and low light (he wants to learn) and what better way to learn other than fast primes?? See..that is why he cannot decide...
    For me..it is a no brainer..I would the the D70s any day over D40..but he is not so sure...

8. I think Gene nailed it on the head. Your friend has to hold both bodies in his hands and see which one he likes more. I just got my wife a D40X and while I love the weight , it does feel very strange in my hands. I found myself wishing there was a vertical grip available for it.

9. Trailfinder

Trailfinder Guest

I just bought a D80 and a 1 month old like brand new used D40 - I have shot several hundred pictures in the past week testing them both out - I love them both alot - BUT - The D40 does a great job imho - I don't know about the D70, but I didn't hesitate picking up the D40 from the showcase, I knew it would be a great buy...

Brad G...
    OKC/OKLA

10. I can't really see the point of your post then.

Like Uncle Frank said, if you can't tell him, how can we?

Judging by the cameras you have, you could advise him which way to go.

I have a photog friend here that I told him what camera to get.

Unless he didn't ask you, then I am back to not seeing the point of your post.

11. smodak

smodak

Jun 11, 2007
    Franklin MA US
    He did ask me and I said D70s...and he did his own research and thinks D40 will be better for him.

12. TVayos

TVayos Guest

I would send your friend into a camera shop and have them handle the cameras. They all do a pretty good job at taking pictures. Have them pick the one which fits their hands and wallet the best.

I like my D70s a lot and would go so far as recommending it to a friend.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.