D7100 + 200-500 f5.6; not getting results I expected

I was able to shoot with this lens again, subjects were a Great Blue Heron and a Red-winged Blackbird.

I want to post them up for analysis, but I want to ask if there is a better photo hosting site than PhotoBucket (which I use). Sometimes I feel that PB tends to compress the image too much.
Or does that matter much as long as you have the data...?

I wound up having to change the RAW images to JPEG in order to upload to PhotBucket...so the colors are extremely bland...:(

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

When I zoom in close, perhaps 100% crop or more, the images look extremely soft. I tried fine tuning focus with the ring, but couldn’t get any better than what AF does.
Am I seriously nit-picking the IQ, am I at the limits of my D7100, or does the lens need actual fine-tuning?
I have seen some 100% crops in the 200-500 showcase thread, and they look incredibly sharp...
When I pull up the image on the camera’s screen, I have the option to highlight the focus area. The FA of photo #1 is right on the blackbird’s head, and in #2, FA is right on the Heron’s neck.
Where is my problem with this lens...if there is one at all?

I think I may have found my problem...inferior UV filter...
Yes, a bad filter can kill a good lens. I don't use filters unless necessary. Focusing with live-view should give you the best indication that the camera if focused. the 200-500 is a very good lens, and so if you can't get better than the above there is a problem with the lens. I would love t to see a shot with the filter off. What brand was the filter?

cheers,
alexis

I got the Lens from Adorama, they gave me a free Pro-Optic filter...I guess that’s why it was free...

I took some photos of a table lamp in my apartment, about 10’ away from the camera. I could see the difference with and without the filter when I zoom into the photo on the camera’s screen. I can only imagine that as distance to the subject increases, sharpness drops off exponentially with that filter...

I have only every used B+W or Tiffen filters and never had an issue...I never thought it could happen.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom