D7100 and Me :)

This is good to hear. I also have a D600 which is fantastic and my D7100 is being delivered today!

Oooo, let us know what you think! I've been thinking about getting it all week since I got some extra money that was not expected. I wish I had made the decision on Monday as I'd have it by now :) Oh well, Tuesday is coming! So I'll just walk around singing, "Anticipation". :biggrin:

Carole

1. D7100 anytime you want/need to shoot at ISO 2000+, and we sure need that here at times! Amazing the difference.

2. D300 AF is pretty darned good, D7100 is just flat AMAZING! I really can't tell the difference between it and my D800.

3. D7100 anytime you can't fill the frame with the image. You can crop pretty well with the D300, but cropping from 24MP is, well, just one heck of a lot better.

I shot with a pair of D300's from the first day they arrived in Seattle until last December. I miss the extra 2FPS once in a while, but very rarely, the strange part is that the AF is so much better my rate of keeper shots is at least as good as it was, if not better.

Just watch your technique, those extra MP's will show bad handling rather quickly.

We should meet up and go shooting one day, Bill. You are not that far from me. And now that we have the bridge back, going back and forth isn't as bad.

Are you going to the Zenfolio Zoom tour in Seattle in September?

Carole

I love my D7100. I have hardly touched the D600 since getting it. And I love my D600... The D7100 is just a pleasure to use in every way.

And here I was planning to head off to buy a D600 tomorrow + expensive glass!! What's the IQ of the D7100 like (especially at higher ISO) compared to the D600? I know the D600 will be better in theory, but can you really tell the difference in real life?

And here I was planning to head off to buy a D600 tomorrow + expensive glass!! What's the IQ of the D7100 like (especially at higher ISO) compared to the D600? I know the D600 will be better in theory, but can you really tell the difference in real life?

I never shoot either over 3200, and that's really rare (mostly playing because I can :wink:). I shoot a lot at 800 iso and unless you are 100% peeping you would never know and I doubt seriously that anyone could tell you which camera was used. The D600 is better, but at 8X10 print sizes, there no discernible difference in my shots.

The D600 is better at 2 things IMO - DOF and wide shots. I use it to shoot people for those reasons - I get thin DOF and can shoot closer which is easer indoors almost every time.

Hopefully someone who spends more time over 1600 will chime in though, because its just not my realm.

Real Name
Randy
I am still going to use my D300. I think when I go shooting, I'll have a wide angle lens on one and a telephoto on the other :smile: My D300 takes incredible photos, so I'll have to match them one on one and see who wins :smile:

Carole

i'm not using my d800 and d4 so trust me, after a few outings with your
d7100 you will not be using your d300:smile:

Absolutely. Works just as well as on previous cameras.

Thanks, Jim.

I realized last night that my remotes won't work on the D7100 as it doesn't have a 10 pin connection :( I have to have a remote for the workshop that I'm going to, so I'll have to see what's available.

Carole

Oooo, let us know what you think! I've been thinking about getting it all week since I got some extra money that was not expected. I wish I had made the decision on Monday as I'd have it by now :) Oh well, Tuesday is coming! So I'll just walk around singing, "Anticipation". :biggrin:

Carole

Well, it's here!!

It is very similar to my D600 & the D7000 I sold a while back so felt normal from the off. I didn't need to read the manual to set up the menu the way I like it

Just had an hour in my garden taking shots of my neighbours satellite dish ( I know, very sad but I was pushed for time and as it was bolted to a large brick wall thought it would be a good subject) to compare the 70-200 at 70mm & 200mm on my D600 then the D7100 & then the D7100 in full crop mode. Looking at the 100% crops in Lightroom I can just see a slightly better colour rendition from the d600 shots but viewed normally there is no difference that I could see. It is really nice to double the focal length of the 70-200 which has made me question whether it's worth buying the new 80-400 afs? 800mm at 1.3x crop is crazy!!

Well, it's here!!

It is very similar to my D600 & the D7000 I sold a while back so felt normal from the off. I didn't need to read the manual to set up the menu the way I like it

Just had an hour in my garden taking shots of my neighbours satellite dish ( I know, very sad but I was pushed for time and as it was bolted to a large brick wall thought it would be a good subject) to compare the 70-200 at 70mm & 200mm on my D600 then the D7100 & then the D7100 in full crop mode. Looking at the 100% crops in Lightroom I can just see a slightly better colour rendition from the d600 shots but viewed normally there is no difference that I could see. It is really nice to double the focal length of the 70-200 which has made me question whether it's worth buying the new 80-400 afs? 800mm at 1.3x crop is crazy!!

Could you post some of the photos, Ian? I've love to see them.

Carole

Well, it's here!!

It is really nice to double the focal length of the 70-200 which has made me question whether it's worth buying the new 80-400 afs? 800mm at 1.3x crop is crazy!!

FWIW, I sold my 70-200 f2.8 AFS VR-1 when I purchased my 80-400. Don't miss is at all. 80-400+tc14E+1.3, do the math, it is quite fun handheld :biggrin:

There is both a wired and a wireless remote for the D7100. Even the Nikon ones are not horribly expensive this time around. I got mine at Kenmore.

I have a bid on a wired one at eBay.

Just wondering. Since the D7100 has infrared, will the transmitter from my Nikon ML-3 work with the receiver on the D7100? I also saw a little thingee online last night that is a receiver for the D7100 and you can control the shutter with an app that is a free download. I could use my iPad to control it. Have to look into this next month when I get paid :)

Carole

FWIW, I sold my 70-200 f2.8 AFS VR-1 when I purchased my 80-400. Don't miss is at all. 80-400+tc14E+1.3, do the math, it is quite fun handheld :biggrin:

I would LOVE an 80-400 for my orca shots. Maybe I'll put that on my wish list for next year. They have a couple of them at B&H in the used dept for under $1,000. Wonder if Santa will be good to me this year, LOL!!

Does the tc14E work with the 70-300?

Carole

OK, thanks, Ian.

Where are you in the Midlands? Take some photos around there :) My cousins are in Chapel en le Frith, Derbyshire. :smile: I have to get over there one of these days. Perhaps in 2014. It's been too long.

Carole

OK, thanks, Ian.

Where are you in the Midlands? Take some photos around there :) My cousins are in Chapel en le Frith, Derbyshire. :smile: I have to get over there one of these days. Perhaps in 2014. It's been too long.

Carole

I had to look that up in Google maps!!

I live a little south of there in an old mining village called Measham. It's prob about an hour or so drive away from Chapel en le Frith.

Small world eh ??

Latest threads

Top Bottom