D7100 buffer vs D7000 buffer

I'm using SanDisk Extreme Pro 64 GB SDXC Card 95MB/s and I have had no issues with the buffer. I've not pushed it. I have taken many BIF shots and the buffer has kept up with my shooting. of course your mileage . . well you know.

I can say . . I am more than impressed with the camera. I bought it so I'd have a small size camera for hiking but the 1.3 mode and the images have literally be amazing to me. Its been the only camera I've used for 2 weeks and I've not missed my D4 or D800 "yet".

I guess we are talking RAW buffer here? JPG buffer should be no issue...

D7000 max RAW buffer (my experience)
16 - 17 continuos shots at 6fps
then slows down to 1 - 2 fps for the next 20 seconds or so (while writing to the card)
never completely stops shooting

The above result is achieved with:
- 95 MB/s SanDisk Extreme card
- 12 bit compressed RAW
- all processing turned off (ActiveD lighting, distortion correction etc)

If we shoot highest quality 14bit RAW, buffer drops to 10 - 11 shots.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Yep, Highest quality RAW buffer is the question. I have the D7000 and that sounds about right.

Real Name
Randy
I'm using SanDisk Extreme Pro 64 GB SDXC Card 95MB/s and I have had no issues with the buffer. I've not pushed it. I have taken many BIF shots and the buffer has kept up with my shooting. of course your mileage . . well you know.

I can say . . I am more than impressed with the camera. I bought it so I'd have a small size camera for hiking but the 1.3 mode and the images have literally be amazing to me. Its been the only camera I've used for 2 weeks and I've not missed my D4 or D800 "yet".
ditto exactly

Real Name
Randy
I'm shooting raw files.
12 or 14bit ?
I left mine on 12 for now

going to give it a try at soccer this afternoon
the thought of shooting just the 70-200 on the D7100 puts a smile on my face, i may even shoot the games in 1.3 image area....my only complaint about the d7100 is you can't grey out the part of the VF that is no longer in the image (like you can with the D800)

Mine is set at 14 Randy. I ran a few test this evening. If I have the camera set to RAW and 14 bit and on CH it will run smooth for about 10 or so rapid shots before it slows down (this is plenty for what i do). If the camera is on CL with the same settings . . I think it would go forever. Again, for my purposes it is fine. I'm sure with a cheaper card it would be a different story.

From what I understand the D7.1k has the same buffer as the D7k... If memory serves
when the D7k first came out it was determined that the max write throughput (speed the
buffer writes to the card) was about 40mb/s, so any card with a write speed of about
45mb/s or more should do... If this holds true then the difference between the D7.1k
and the D7k buffer capacity should be in direct proportion to the difference in file sizes
between the cameras...

If you scroll down to the section that says "Memory card capacity" at each of the links below
you can compare file size/buffer capacity... Doing the math I found this to hold pretty much
true with the D7.1k files being about 32% (+/-) larger and the buffer capacity being about
36% (+/-) less than the D7k (we could probably round it out to 33% average)... I only
checked 12 and 14 bit lossless raw...

D7.1k
http://imaging.nikon.com/lineup/dslr/d7100/spec.htm

D7k
http://imaging.nikon.com/lineup/dslr/d7000/features03.htm

BTW, if you click through the tabs at the top (Key Features, Features Explained, etc) on the
D7.1k page you can read/learn a lot of interesting things about the camera...

Don't know if any of this is of any help or not... :confused:

Last edited by a moderator:
I did a full day of BIF the other day shooting 12 bit RAW and ran into the buffer limitations many times. Seeing your favourite birds of prey coming closer and closer through the viewfinder and having the camera splutter along is not a good feeling. I will not shoot jpg to counter this issue. It is a problem (when you're used to a faster camera in particular). I never used a D7000 so can't compare to that.

I did a full day of BIF the other day shooting 12 bit RAW and ran into the buffer limitations many times. Seeing your favourite birds of prey coming closer and closer through the viewfinder and having the camera splutter along is not a good feeling. I will not shoot jpg to counter this issue. It is a problem (when you're used to a faster camera in particular). I never used a D7000 so can't compare to that.
Do you have high ISO noise reduction, ADL, distortion correction on? Those would slow things down.

The buffer does fill pretty quick. Its pretty painful with a 45MB/s card, I upgraded to a 90MB/s card and noticed a huge difference. The small buffer is definitely more tolerable now.

Do you have high ISO noise reduction, ADL, distortion correction on? Those would slow things down.
No, but I was using a 45mb/s card though which I didn't mention, so going by what Mike said here, the sooner I get that 95mb card the better. I wasn't sure it would make a huge difference (small one certainly) but I look forward to finding out.

The buffer does fill pretty quick. Its pretty painful with a 45MB/s card, I upgraded to a 90MB/s card and noticed a huge difference. The small buffer is definitely more tolerable now.
But how much RAW shots can you get in a single burst with 90MB/s card?
(you are talking about D7100, right?)

Nikon says that 9 shots is maximum buffer capacity with full resolution photos. Can you confirm?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
The reason that I specified the 95mb/s cards (aside from the fact that I use them anyway) is that the buffer itself will never theoretically jam if the shots are cleared quickly enough.

I know from my D7000/D600 that a 30 mb/s card makes the buffer jam for me, while it rarely happens with a 95mb/s card. No difference in the buffer, but a difference in the write speed.

"When shopping for SD cards for your D7100, look at the speed rating label in MB/s, such as 35MB/s, 45MB/s, 90MB/s or 95MB/s. These numbers are easy to compare, and are directly relevant to shooting performance because you will be shooting pictures with a relatively known file size. For example, when shooting RAW files 14-bit lossless compressed, your files will be around 29MB each. If your card is capable of write speeds of 35MB/s you could only write about one frame each second after the buffer is full, while a 90MB/s card could write about 3 files per second."

From this link: SC Card Speed Comparison

As you can see, the faster card is emptying the buffer 3 times as fast. The entire article is a good read.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom