D7100: "Cannot display this file"

...or words to that effect, in Image Review mode. Has anyone else seen that? I hope it's a memory card problem, not a camera problem. Just happens randomly. That photo then doesn't show up when I put the card in the computer. I'm trying a different memory card today.

Camera and card still have < 100 clicks.

...or words to that effect, in Image Review mode. Has anyone else seen that? I hope it's a memory card problem, not a camera problem. Just happens randomly. That photo then doesn't show up when I put the card in the computer. I'm trying a different memory card today.

Camera and card still have < 100 clicks.
I always use my USB cable. Card hardy ever leaves the camera.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Gee whiz Pa, maybe your dirtying up your connections because you find a need to take the card out every-time you upload a photo. :rolleyes:
:confused:

Remember, this is a new card that came with the camera - has recorded less than 100 files. Dirty contacts are not very likely. :wink:

I'm going to try using an old reliable card in slot #1 and the new card in slot #2 with all photos recorded to both for a while. Shot about 35 images this morning with the old card with no glitches.

Bingo - mystery solved.

I had edited some of the pictures on the card using Capture NX2 and saved the edited files to the card. Apparently the camera can't read those.

I does sound like a potential memory card problem as I believe from your post that the message was seen at first when you were reviewing your image in camera prior to connecting to computer and the camera had not been connected to the computer prior to you viewing?

If the camera had been connected there is a small chance that while viewing on PC/Mac that an attempt to write to camera was made for some reason - this would nearly guarantee unreadable in camera but would not explain why you cannot read on computer

Sure you know this but always format the card in camera and for this card I would treat as suspect until otherwise proven

EDIT: Should have waited a little longer to reply :biggrin:

...I would treat as suspect until otherwise proven

EDIT: Should have waited a little longer to reply :biggrin:
:wink:

Yup, you were apparently typing at the same time I was.

As to treating a card as suspect "until proven otherwise" - I submit that it is impossible to prove otherwise. :biggrin:

When I was in graduate school those many years ago, my professor was fond of saying that you can never prove that a computer program is correct, you can only prove that it is incorrect.

But I think the problem I raised in post #1 can now be definitively categorized as "user error". :redface:

Real Name
Randy
Gee whiz Pa, maybe your dirtying up your connections because you find a need to take the card out every-time you upload a photo. :rolleyes:
:smile:

I suspect the vast majority of us use card readers.
I have never connected via USB to move the pics and his question has nothing to do with his pc anyway

Also, older version of ViewNX2 or Lightroom with outdated camera raw plugin can permanently corrupt the NEF when used to transfer the files.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom