D7100 Grip Options

I can get the Meike version through Amazon or the XIT from B&H. Adorama will soon have their Flashpoint. Anyone have any experience with these brands? What are the chances they are all the same with different badges attached?

I bought a Flashpoint for one of my D7000's and it is a POS. The battery connection works, it looks and feels good, but none of the controls work at all. My Nikon grips on the other hand have been flawless.

I bought a Flashpoint for one of my D7000's and it is a POS. The battery connection works, it looks and feels good, but none of the controls work at all. My Nikon grips on the other hand have been flawless.
Thanks, Chad. I thought I remembered some people liking the D800 version.
I purchased an XIT grip for my D7000 from BH and it was horrible. I returned it.
Thanks for sharing your experiences.
I got a Mieke on the way will let you know when it arrives
Please let me know what you think, Dan.

My experience is with the Meike vs Nikon grip on the D7000. I started with the Meike and thought the fit and finish were great. Mine did have the issue with the reverse direction on the command and subcommand dials, the green light on the camera would go on randomly and the battery went flat much quicker. I could have been OK with those issues but I found quite a bit of flex in the grip when holding the camera in a portrait orientation with a Nikkor 70-300VR lens mounted. I'd hate to see what a heavier lens would feel like. Also, on a tripod the grip visibly flexed. I was never felt quite secure with the grip, particularly with my Black Rapid strap.

I eventually got a Nikon MB-D11 and although there wasn't much difference in fit and finish, the magnesium construction is MUCH sturdier than the plastic of the Meike. No flex with the 70-300 or on a tripod. A few weeks ago I found that the joystick button on the MB-D11 had cracked and the grip went into Nikon for a warranty repair in Melville, NY. I just received it back today and it seems to be working just fine. While it was in for repair I briefly went back to the Meike and that experience just confirmed why I'd given it up in the first place.

Although I hope the repair was a one-time deal, having the ability to get the repair done at all was a benefit of the Nikon grip that I'm not sure I'd have with the Meike.

I just received the Meike grip. Quality is about what I expected for the price. Camera would not turn on at first, but I may not have had the battery fully inserted in the grip. Has not happened again. I use it more for comfort than anything else, rarely use the controls. Although that may change since it provides many more functions than the Meike grip on my D3100. i am sure the Nikon grip feels more solid. For $52.00 it will do until the MB-D15 comes down in price.

My experience is with the Meike vs Nikon grip on the D7000. I started with the Meike and thought the fit and finish were great. Mine did have the issue with the reverse direction on the command and subcommand dials, the green light on the camera would go on randomly and the battery went flat much quicker. I could have been OK with those issues but I found quite a bit of flex in the grip when holding the camera in a portrait orientation with a Nikkor 70-300VR lens mounted. I'd hate to see what a heavier lens would feel like. Also, on a tripod the grip visibly flexed. I was never felt quite secure with the grip, particularly with my Black Rapid strap.

I eventually got a Nikon MB-D11 and although there wasn't much difference in fit and finish, the magnesium construction is MUCH sturdier than the plastic of the Meike. No flex with the 70-300 or on a tripod. A few weeks ago I found that the joystick button on the MB-D11 had cracked and the grip went into Nikon for a warranty repair in Melville, NY. I just received it back today and it seems to be working just fine. While it was in for repair I briefly went back to the Meike and that experience just confirmed why I'd given it up in the first place.

Although I hope the repair was a one-time deal, having the ability to get the repair done at all was a benefit of the Nikon grip that I'm not sure I'd have with the Meike.
Thanks for sharing your thoughts. I was not aware that the MB-D11 had much metal in it. The D7000 body is not a full metal body so I figured the grip wouldn't have it either.
I just received the Meike grip. Quality is about what I expected for the price. Camera would not turn on at first, but I may not have had the battery fully inserted in the grip. Has not happened again. I use it more for comfort than anything else, rarely use the controls. Although that may change since it provides many more functions than the Meike grip on my D3100. i am sure the Nikon grip feels more solid. For $52.00 it will do until the MB-D15 comes down in price.
Thanks for sharing your experiences. I may try it as I will not be using the grip to attach to a tripod. The lenses I will use it with have tripod feet on them. I would be using the vertical controls, however.

Real Name
Dan
I used a Meike grip on a D800 for a while and it was great. I ended up getting a used Nikon grip so I could use the same batteries in D4/D800. Other than that I would have stuck with the Meike. Can't speak to the grips on the smaller cameras but the one for the D800 is well designed with stiffening ribs molded in and a metal plate to distribute the load at the tripod connection. I noted that specifically because I carry the camera on a BlackRapids style strap connected to the tripod screw. Not saying I'd run an obstacle course with it connected that way but wouldn't do so with the Nikon grip either :smile:

Received the Meike grip today and I'm very happy with it, everything worked fine and the battery that came with it also works fine, great for £48.

Feels comfy and sturdy enough (not tried on tripod yet), controls work fine.

Real Name
Dan
Received the Meike grip today and I'm very happy with it, everything worked fine and the battery that came with it also works fine, great for £48.

Feels comfy and sturdy enough (not tried on tripod yet), controls work fine.
Just make sure and take precautions. I've learned through the forums here that any non-OEM parts the you attach to your Nikon equipment are subject to explode and blow your face off at any given moment. Just sayin'..... :wink:

I had an original Nikon grip for the D7k and I tried the Meike. Being honest the Nikon grip is better, but not hugely so and not for the price difference (the Nikon grip is overpriced no question about it)
I'm really surprised Nikon changed the grip again for the D7100, would have expected them to use the same grip. Grips are cash cows for makers, they cost peanuts to make and have very high margins. I know why Meike are doing so well as a third party grip maker!

Real Name
Randy
Just make sure and take precautions. I've learned through the forums here that any non-OEM parts the you attach to your Nikon equipment are subject to explode and blow your face off at any given moment. Just sayin'..... :wink:

:smile:

Real Name
Randy
I had an original Nikon grip for the D7k and I tried the Meike. Being honest the Nikon grip is better, but not hugely so and not for the price difference (the Nikon grip is overpriced no question about it)
I'm really surprised Nikon changed the grip again for the D7100, would have expected them to use the same grip. Grips are cash cows for makers, they cost peanuts to make and have very high margins. I know why Meike are doing so well as a third party grip maker!

seriously ?

I was surprised the same grip worked on the D300 & D700....

Take Apple (please) for example, the company with more power bricks than products:smile:

Real Name
Randy
Does a grip really help you get more keepers? Lowering your out of focus shots? I'm looking at ways to lower camera shake.

IMO not at all

i like it for several reasons (in order of priority)

1. it feels better in my hand and balances better with bigger lenses
2. more battery power
3. vertical (portrait) shots are way easier because you have a 2nd shutter button
4. it balances better on a ball head or gimbal because there's more wright on the camera side

Does a grip really help you get more keepers? Lowering your out of focus shots? I'm looking at ways to lower camera shake.

IMO not at all

i like it for several reasons (in order of priority)

1. it feels better in my hand and balances better with bigger lenses
2. more battery power
3. vertical (portrait) shots are way easier because you have a 2nd shutter button
4. it balances better on a ball head or gimbal because there's more wright on the camera side

Actually, Randy, I would argue that it can help you get more keepers, for exactly the reasons that you describe. I have been noticing that I am having more trouble with my D7100 than my D800, and I believe a good portion of that is that I simply have to grip the D7100 much differently than I hold the D800. I would agree that the grip itself does not increase "keepers", but for me I think it will as it will make the camera more comfortable for to handle.

My decisions now is whether the extra cost of the Nikon version is worth the extra $150 of so from the 3rd party versions.

Real Name
Randy
Actually, Randy, I would argue that it can help you get more keepers, for exactly the reasons that you describe. I have been noticing that I am having more trouble with my D7100 than my D800, and I believe a good portion of that is that I simply have to grip the D7100 much differently than I hold the D800. I would agree that the grip itself does not increase "keepers", but for me I think it will as it will make the camera more comfortable for to handle.

My decisions now is whether the extra cost of the Nikon version is worth the extra $150 of so from the 3rd party versions.

not you again arguing, what is it with old folks and arguing:smile:

(i can actually see your point)

well you know my opinion, like Dan said, those 3rd party grips can explode in your face:smile:

not you again arguing, what is it with old folks and arguing:smile:

(i can actually see your point)

well you know my opinion, like Dan said, those 3rd party grips can explode in your face:smile:

Glad to see that you are not to old to see a point right in front of your face :tongue: (yet)

I am not so worried about the exploding bits, more about the sneers and disdain from Nikon Purists. Is it worth $150 or so to put with that? Tough decision ....... :wink:

Latest threads

Top Bottom