D7100 Needs Trip to Nikon

Some may recall the problems I had with this camera and some AF issues. It seems to come and go. During an outing this past weekend, the camera would not focus with any of the Nikon teleconverters. I still have a Tamron Pro 1.4X which continued to work fine. When the D7100 would freeze, I could pop the D700 on and it would work fine. Tells me it has to be something with the camera.
On top of that I just discovered that the programmable Fn button does not work as it should. I wanted to play with the 1.3X crop mode so I programmed the button for that. I press the button and turn the command dial which shows the switch. But, as soon as I touch the shutter release button, the camera reverts back to the previous setting. I may try the other programmable modes for the heck of it. Doesn't matter as it needs to get fixed. The first truly brand new camera body I have purchased in decades and I score a lemon.:frown:

Concerning... :( Mine will be arriving tomorrow. This is the first I've read of these particular problems. What is going on :confused:
Good luck... keep us updated.

Good luck with that one...many of us are lurking, reading, interested in that Nikon body. (btw, your images with that camera are excellent)

Concerning... :( Mine will be arriving tomorrow. This is the first I've read of these particular problems. What is going on :confused:
Good luck... keep us updated.

I am not too concerned yet. I have not seen any problems listed on any boards or forums I visit. Just my luck to get a lemon. The worst part is, I am really going to miss it. I picked up the D700 the other day and started blowing highlights immediately!

Real Name
Randy
If u had to setup 1.3 image area to work with the fn button + front wheel your camera was not a new one.....they shipped with that setup as the default

Real Name
Randy
I am not too concerned yet. I have not seen any problems listed on any boards or forums I visit. Just my luck to get a lemon. The worst part is, I am really going to miss it. I picked up the D700 the other day and started blowing highlights immediately!

It is amazing that the d7100's matrix is better than it should be

If u had to setup 1.3 image area to work with the fn button + front wheel your camera was not a new one.....they shipped with that setup as the default

Randy, mine wasn't configured that way, I set it myself. (think it was set as `preview`, but could be mistaken)
Box, camera & all contents came sealed & shutter count was 0

Randy, mine wasn't configured that way, I set it myself. (think it was set as `preview`, but could be mistaken)
Box, camera & all contents came sealed & shutter count was 0

Just as an fyi, mine was setup that way by default as Randy says. Odd that yours wasn't. Sounds like all around QC fails.

It is amazing that the d7100's matrix is better than it should be
I think it was set that way as default. I played around with a couple of other custom settings first. I think I was OK there.
As far as the meter, I totally agree. The word good may not cover it. The only thing I found myself missing about the D300 was the AF On button.
Just as an fyi, mine was setup that way by default as Randy says. Odd that yours wasn't. Sounds like all around QC fails.
I am pretty certain mine was new. I played around with and changed some controls right after I got it.

Just shipped it out this afternoon. Missing it already. Now I will just have my lowly D700 to shoot with until it returns. (Can't believe I'm saying this. I used to love the D700.)

Yeah, I can't believe my D300s is sitting in my bag without a lens on. IQ just doesn't compare. Hope you get yours back in perfect working order soon! :smile:

In the past, when I had any problems with a lens/TC combo, it turned out to just the contacts on the TC needing some cleaning---wipe off solved these problems for me...

Real Name
Randy
i assume you have seen Nancy's thread and I know Louie has the same problem

D7100 won't AF w/ 500 AFS2 and 1.4TC

maybe related

Yeah, I can't believe my D300s is sitting in my bag without a lens on. IQ just doesn't compare. Hope you get yours back in perfect working order soon! :smile:
Still working on it.
In the past, when I had any problems with a lens/TC combo, it turned out to just the contacts on the TC needing some cleaning---wipe off solved these problems for me...
First thing I tried back in March.
i assume you have seen Nancy's thread and I know Louie has the same problem

D7100 won't AF w/ 500 AFS2 and 1.4TC

maybe related
Randy, Nancy and I have been in contact and I have been posting on her thread. Mine will also act up with the 300 f/4 AF-S + TC. ANY of Nikon TCs that I have tried have the same problem.

Aaron I am sending my D7100 and TC into Nikon Monday but to the New York service center. You might mention David B and a resource person for them to check with about the AF issue. That is the person I have been back and forth with about that problem.

Nancy

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom