D7100 Review

I read a review this am on the D7100 from a web site called "kenrockwell" and noted this comment towards the end of the review: "24MP in DX is excessive. If you want to get the sharpness I showed at the top in my D7100 Sample Images, you need superb lenses. " I am currently looking purchase a second body to upgrade from a D50. The 2 lenses I have are:

80-400VR old version
Nikkor 50mm AF f/1.8D

Is the observation about needing superb lenses accurate. Keeping in mind that alot of the quality of the image is based on conditions and the ability of the shooter. Would my assumption be if the comment is correct then you would need fixed prime lenses to get good pictures but I am not convinced of this. Comments most welcome. Thanks.

Paul

Last edited by a moderator:
Real Name
Randy
no it's not, I bet he has never even used one

great glass helps though and watch your shutter speeds

the old 80-400 will be fine and so will the 50

KR is great for specs, but his sometimes over-the-top commentary & personal opinions are just that - over-the-top. It generates readership apparently.

The 7100 is an absolutely fantastic body.

I use the old version 80-400 when birding and I think it is just fine. I had to get the kit lens because I didn't want to wait for a body only from my local dealer, and that lens seems to be sharp for what I use it for.

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Even if your lenses did not quite squeeze all of the resolution out of a D7100 that is theoretically possible, the images will still be a huge step up from a D50. Not to worry.

I read a review this am on the D7100 from a web site called "kenrockwell" and noted this comment towards the end of the review: "24MP in DX is excessive. If you want to get the sharpness I showed at the top in my D7100 Sample Images, you need superb lenses. " I am currently looking purchase a second body to upgrade from a D50. The 2 lenses I have are:

80-400VR old version
Nikkor 50mm AF f/1.8D

Is the observation about needing superb lenses accurate. Keeping in mind that alot of the quality of the image is based on conditions and the ability of the shooter. Would my assumption be if the comment is correct then you would need fixed prime lenses to get good pictures but I am not convinced of this. Comments most welcome. Thanks.

Paul
I have to concur unfortunately with KR. In my own personal experience I am having issues in particular with cropping and maintaining quality that I had with my D50. Its been frustrating to say the least.

Now, your 80-400 might be higher quality up to 300mm where my 70-300 VR is not, so you may not notice much of a difference until you get to focal lengths of the lens that are weak.

Its a great camera, but less forgiving on bad technique and weak lenses.

Is the observation about needing superb lenses accurate.
Not exactly.
I'm getting pretty good results using a sub $400 Sigma 18-250 lens.
Are you using a high definition LED Monitor.

Ken Rockwell is Ken Rockwell, I learned to believe nothing you hear and 1/2 of what you see, KR cost me spending money I did not need to, in fact I will be selling some lens's soon.............

you will be fine with what you have, like was said kicked up SS and PP you be amazed, be sure and fine tune your lens's to the camera.

What I have read (not from Mr. Rockwell) is that higher megapixel sensors can reveal sloppiness in your shooting technique that was always there, but was hidden at lower pixel densities. Blur due to camera shake, for example, might be too minute to have been revealed on the D50 but can be resolved by the D7100.

Scott

Real Name
Randy
What I have read (not from Mr. Rockwell) is that higher megapixel sensors can reveal sloppiness in your shooting technique that was always there, but was hidden at lower pixel densities. Blur due to camera shake, for example, might be too minute to have been revealed on the D50 but can be resolved by the D7100.

Scott
that sounds reasonable and I think I never see it because of my 'shutter speed fixes everything' approach to shooting

Scott
Viewed at the same size they should look the same though.

Viewed at the same size they should look the same though.
Photo-sites on a higher mega-pixel sensor will be closer together... Image movement of the same relative
distance on a higher mega-pixel sensor will cross over more photo-sites during the same exposure time
than they would on a lesser mega-pixel sensor...

Think of it this way:

Imagine a sensor where the photo-sites are 1 mm apart... If the speed of the shake movement is 1 mm/sec
and the shutter speed is 1/2 second then the adjacent photo-site would never be effected by what the first
photo-site saw... The image movement would have only traveled 1/2 mm and what the first photo-site saw
would never have made it to the adjacent photo-site during the 1/2 second exposure..

Now think of a sensor where the photo-sites are 1/4 mm apart... If the speed of the shake movement is the
same (1 mm/sec), and the shutter speed is the same (1/2 second), then the image movement would travel
the same distance (1/2 mm)... BUT, the same exposure time would now allow 2 photo-sites to "see" the same
image during the exposure effecting the sharpness of the image by blurring everything across twice as many
photosites...

Image viewing size would not change image blurr unless of course you viewed it at a very small size making
it imperceptable... Of course that kind of ruins the reason to have large high mega-pixel images in the first
place, may as well just go back to film point-and-shoots and snap-shots... :rolleyes:

Shooting with a higher meaga-pixel sensor simply means adjusting to using higher shutter speeds (per Randy)
than you may be used to... The good part is that higher mega-pixels sensors also have higher ISO performance
so it's relatively easy... The hardest part is realising you're now shooting with a better camera and it's "OK" to
just crank-it-up...! :wink:

I realise the same blur distance covers more photo-sites on a more mp sensor, but when those closer-together sites are then down-sampled again for viewing on a screen (eg.1920x1200 for my screen), the blur then magically covers the same distance on the screen (or print) as it did before (assuming we're not cropping of course). Yes? No? Only when we get close to or bigger than 1:1 for the less-mp sensor would more blur show on the more-mp sensor?

I realise the same blur distance covers more photo-sites on a more mp sensor, but when those closer-together sites are then down-sampled again for viewing on a screen (eg.1920x1200 for my screen), the blur then magically covers the same distance on the screen (or print) as it did before (assuming we're not cropping of course). Yes? No? Only when we get close to or bigger than 1:1 for the less-mp sensor would more blur show on the more-mp sensor?
Yes, technically you're right but why would you buy a higher MP camera just
to view it at a lesser MP size...? If all you're going to do is view snap-shots
then 4-6 MP is plenty... We haven't even mentioned "crop-ability" of larger MP
sensors allowing you to extend the usability of shorter (cheaper) focal length
lenses... Shake-blurr would completely destroy heavily cropped images...

Forgive me, and don't take this the wrong way, but what exactly are you arguing,
Russ...? If you're never going to view/print your images at larger sizes or crop
'till the cows come
home then no, you don't need higher MP sensors... But if you
do want the benefits of higher MP's then sloppy technique just isn't going to
cut it... :wink:

Yes, technically you're right but why would you buy a higher MP camera just
to view it at a lesser MP size...? If all you're going to do is view snap-shots
then 4-6 MP is plenty... We haven't even mentioned "crop-ability" of larger MP
sensors allowing you to extend the usability of shorter (cheaper) focal length
lenses... Shake-blurr would completely destroy heavily cropped images...

:
Cheap lenses also have the drawback that they are in fact lesser quality. Try to crop 100% on cheap glass on this or any high megapixel camera and you'll see what I mean. I can't seem to go over 50%.

If you crop any more than 50% with any regularity, you either need to get closer or get longer glass.

The D7100 will show cheap glass at 100%. It will really amplify poor form. But don't forget that if you have good form and use top quality glass it will reward you like no other Nikon DX body, and with the exception of shooting at high iso, like no other Nikon body ever made.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom