D7100 SD card test

Thanks for the link Darrel. It's interesting to see how useable the camera is rather than trying to work it out from stats. Depressing though, how much more useable the top Sandisk card is than their 45mbps one!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks for the link Darrel. It's interesting to see how useable the camera is rather than trying to work it out from stats. Depressing though, how much more useable the top Sandisk card is than their 45mbps one!
SanDisk Extreme Pro 16 GB SDHC Class 10 UHS-1 Flash Memory Card 95MB/s

Hi Darrel. Yup, I realise the new Extreme Pros are 95, so potentially more than twice as fast than the 45s I mentioned (if that's what you meant?) but I'd hoped, like Glenn I think, (from a selfish, financial perspective!) that any speed advantage of the 95 cards would be all but negated by the camera's limits.

I guess the D600 can similarly capitalise on the card speed.

Hi Darrel. Yup, I realise the new Extreme Pros are 95, so potentially more than twice as fast than the 45s I mentioned (if that's what you meant?) but I'd hoped, like Glenn I think, (from a selfish, financial perspective!) that any speed advantage of the 95 cards would be all but negated by the camera's limits.

I guess the D600 can similarly capitalise on the card speed.
I went from a 45MB/s card to a 95MB/s card and noticed a huge difference. It was very noticeable. I went from struggling with the D7100's buffer to being okay with it instantly.

Real Name
Randy
I ordered two sandisk 32gb 95's when I ordered the d7100 and the buffer is usually not a problem, which is not to say my d7100 is not gone as soon as I get a d400:smile:

well shoot howdy, that was a surprise!..............thanks gee I wonder If I can uncommitt my ebay order:biggrin:
I tested my 30 mb/s Sandisk cards the same way about two years ago and got similar
results - 10 shots then slowdown... The biggest difference is in the recovery time - how
long before the next shot after it hits the buffer wall...

The problem is that not only is the buffer small but the buffer max throughput speed in the
D7k/D7.1k is also low... Hopefully the D400 (if it ever exists) will have a larger AND faster
buffer...

The upside of faster cards is they transfer from the card reader to the computer faster...
Assuming, of course, you also have a fast card reader... :wink:

Thanks William. That as what I'd expect of the D7000, and I'd wrongly thought the D7100 (and maybe the D600?) would be the same.

Depends on what you shoot if it's jpegs then there isn't a lot of gain with the super fast cards. For raw well it does to a point help, and buffer clearing is quick when I tried a D7100. The 95mb/s is a good card, the 45mb/s also helps somewhat.

But you notice on the video that the fps slows after 7 or 8 shots even with the 95mb/s card, so you can't really fully compensate for the buffer at least in raw.
Even on the class 10 cards I found quite a difference in performance, the Transcend is "ok" but nothing special, strangely I found that Fuji 16Gb class 10 cards are quite a bit faster.

Thanks William. That as what I'd expect of the D7000, and I'd wrongly thought the D7100 (and maybe the D600?) would be the same.
I'm just guessing here but I would think the D7.1k would be less because the buffer is the same size/speed
but the files are bigger (24mp/28.5 MB vs 16mp/19.4 MB)... This is also reflected in the official specs from
Nikon...

D7100 (scroll down to "Memory card capacity")
http://imaging.nikon.com/lineup/dslr/d7100/spec.htm

D7000 (scroll down to "Memory card capacity")
http://imaging.nikon.com/lineup/dslr/d7000/features03.htm

Can't even guess at the D600 as I know nothing about it's buffer...

I went from a 45MB/s card to a 95MB/s card and noticed a huge difference. It was very noticeable. I went from struggling with the D7100's buffer to being okay with it instantly.
Same here. Significantly more usable. You just learn to live with this compromise thanks to the other more positive aspects of this camera.

I'm just guessing here but I would think the D7.1k would be less because the buffer is the same size/speed
but the files are bigger (24mp/28.5 MB vs 16mp/19.4 MB)... This is also reflected in the official specs from
Nikon...

D7100 (scroll down to "Memory card capacity")
http://imaging.nikon.com/lineup/dslr/d7100/spec.htm

D7000 (scroll down to "Memory card capacity")
http://imaging.nikon.com/lineup/dslr/d7000/features03.htm

Can't even guess at the D600 as I know nothing about it's buffer...

Looks that way same size buffer bigger file sizes. Problem is the D7k was not the biggest buffer anyway, so now we've even less.

If the D7100 could shoot 12-14 shots raw nobody would be complaining even with moderate speed cards. For this class of camera really it has entry level buffer sizes. On a positive note the price quickly dropped in Europe to more reasonable levels and will probably fall even more shortly. Buffer aside you do get quite a bit for your money has to be said.

Looks that way same size buffer bigger file sizes. Problem is the D7k was not the biggest buffer anyway, so now we've even less.

If the D7100 could shoot 12-14 shots raw nobody would be complaining even with moderate speed cards. For this class of camera really it has entry level buffer sizes. On a positive note the price quickly dropped in Europe to more reasonable levels and will probably fall even more shortly. Buffer aside you do get quite a bit for your money has to be said.
This makes me hopeful that there will be a D400 style camera... The D7xxx series seems purposely crippled (slightly)
to keep it the top level "enthusiast" DX catagory leaving the entry level "professional" DX catagory still needing something
to fill the space...

Thom Hogan in his review about D7100:

"Do yourself a favor, buy some state-of-the-art cards if you're going to purchase a D7100. Make sure also that the card in the second slot is as fast as the first, otherwise you might slow the camera's performance (even for image review, believe it or not)."

I have asked him by mail if it is all functions this will happen.

Example: I only set it to "overlap" = If my slot 1 is emptied, first then it activates the slot 2, and I am not sure it happens here, but we will see his answer

Here is his answer:

"No, not "whatever function is has." If you've set Overflow, only image review tends to slow. If you've set Backup or RAW Slot 1 JPEG Slot 2, yes you will tend to see slowing."

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom