D7100 soccer

Real Name
Randy
D7100 + 70-200, f/2.8, many are in 1.3 Image Area mode

i-n2ckwDv-XL.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

i-KG6xhpm-XL.jpg

i-tpb9gqc-XL.jpg

i-HjTctjk-XL.jpg

i-CnMZF8B-XL.jpg

i-qTdLj86-XL.jpg

i-r6GjwZ7-XL.jpg

i-vpRLnck-XL.jpg

i-S2bsrH8-XL.jpg

i-DsC7mBp-XL.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice! Snow is still melting up here, we are a few weeks way from open fields.

...white soccer jerseys are a photographers nightmare.

Real Name
Randy
Nice! Snow is still melting up here, we are a few weeks way from open fields.

...white soccer jerseys are a photographers nightmare.

thanks Jeff

it was 65 and too sunny (sorry) for this game
at 1st I thought the D7100's matrix meter was able to deal with the jersey color differences and the shadows better than I had hoped for but histograms in the field can fool you as I had to drop ev -.3 on most of the shots

Real Name
Randy
Nice shooting, Randy!

thanks Karen.....i had alot of fun shooting w/ just 1 body and 1 lens but the BG-s suffered because of it
I am shooting the NC state finals next month for maxpreps and I think it's time to break out the big boy and his companion again (D4 + 400vr) to help with separation but the D7100 did a fine job especially considering it's price. You should look at a D7100 + 80-400 combo for your wildlife and LS shooting

Real Name
Randy
Great Shots Randy. It looks like that D7100 works great for sports.

thanks Dewey

despite reports to the contrary the D7100 buffer is fine......i am using 2 sandisk 95mb/s SD cards that I suspect fixed any slow down
It's no D4 but as a 2nd body it's more than fine and the big thing for me is even shot at 1x it is a crop machine. 24mp on dx leaves alot to crop away.
For this game at 1.3x it turned a 70-200 into a 140-400

Real Name
Randy
Very nice. No.8 looks like a balancing act.

Your opinion on the AF compared to D300s?

thanks Russ

AF is better, how much is hard to say. I did see a handfull of misses where using AFC D9 the wrong sensor picked up the wrong player because she was in the BG, moving and close to the primary target. Still under 5% OOF

Really good information here Randy. I know I am not alone in looking (hoping/praying) for a replacement for my old D300 DX backup. Went through a couple of the D7000's before going back to the D300. Maybe time to put the D7100 through it's paces. Looks like a pretty good alternative.

I know this game wasn't a test for it -- but how has the 7100 done in low light? ISO 6400 usable for sports stuff?

Real Name
Randy
Really good information here Randy. I know I am not alone in looking (hoping/praying) for a replacement for my old D300 DX backup. Went through a couple of the D7000's before going back to the D300. Maybe time to put the D7100 through it's paces. Looks like a pretty good alternative.

I know this game wasn't a test for it -- but how has the 7100 done in low light? ISO 6400 usable for sports stuff?

glad to help buddy

i won't go over iso 1600 on the D7100
I did a few daytime 1600's and 3200's because I had to but I have no expectations that the D7100 will do well in low light regarding high iso shadows and crops and I even wonder how it's AF will do.....

As I'm sure you know I have specific uses for each of my bodies and lenses and maybe that's why I like them all.....I don't ask them to do something they weren't made to do:smile:

Thanks for the continued feedback and shots to show what it can do. Looks like it would be a perfect "kids soccer" machine with the 70-200 and a macro rig. You should really get a commission...

Real Name
Randy
Thanks for the continued feedback and shots to show what it can do. Looks like it would be a perfect "kids soccer" machine with the 70-200 and a macro rig. You should really get a commission...

this place is like home to me and you guys are like family so I am glad to help anyway i can, god knows everything i know came from here from guys like Frank and Mike and Colin and many others

shooting the d7100 + 70-200 and wandering a high school field is alot of fun and the action always comes to you eventually

the only thing i don't like is the dof at 2.8 on a short lens like the 70-200 but there's nothing you can do about it

Sorry for the delayed response...

But this is very interesting, if you say that D7100 RAW buffer is fine for you, and you are action shooter who is used to shooting D4 and such bodies.

Haven't tried D7100 yet, but on the paper, max. 6-9 shots in a single burst sounds pretty limiting.... it's interesting that your first hand experience proves it to be adequate.

Real Name
Randy
Sorry for the delayed response...

But this is very interesting, if you say that D7100 RAW buffer is fine for you, and you are action shooter who is used to shooting D4 and such bodies.

Haven't tried D7100 yet, but on the paper, max. 6-9 shots in a single burst sounds pretty limiting.... it's interesting that your first hand experience proves it to be adequate.

i am shotting 12bit if that matters and i am using sandisk 95mb/s cards
and i am keeping my foot off the floor (no petal to the metal so to speak)

and i think the d800 cooled me off some

having said that I am back to the D4 + 400vr because of DOF
(The 400vr/dx is too long for me for soccer)

d4 + 400vr at 3.2
nothing i have ever used comes even close to this even focus plane and erased BG

i-WBrFX2p-XL.jpg

So you can get harsh sun in NC also? Thought it was here in Fl. I seemed to have similar problem with focus jumping to another player in the BG. Focus still was good. Went back to D300 for last game, better, but maybe just used to it. One weekend left for me to use the D7100 for soccer this season. Love it for shooting other things though.

Real Name
Randy
So you can get harsh sun in NC also? Thought it was here in Fl. I seemed to have similar problem with focus jumping to another player in the BG. Focus still was good. Went back to D300 for last game, better, but maybe just used to it. One weekend left for me to use the D7100 for soccer this season. Love it for shooting other things though.

we are in the sunbelt

so far AF is very consistent and staying around 1% OOF or wrong focus and considering the helter skelter way i shoot soccer I'm impressed

we have a $1200 body keeping up with a $6k body:confused:

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom