D7100? UPDATE with PICS

I have missed my D300 dearly ever since I sold it and would like to purchase a DX body. I mainly need this for sport, shoot RAW and will be pairing it up with my 70-200VR. So is the D7100 the best DX body under the $1500 price range? Should I be concerned with buffer performance? Pros, cons, etc,.. Any one use this exclusively for sports? Any help would be greatly appreciated as I need to make a decision in the next few days.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hopefully, someone with sports experience with this body will chime in. If you do go this route, the AF performance is great. Make sure you get the 94+ mb/s cards. There is a HUGE difference in performance between them and the slower cards.

Make sure to use the Extreme Pro 95mb/s to maximize the buffer. Lesser card will not allow the camera to save at the published rates. I picked up a pair of 95mb/s cards and the camera seems to work as Nikon has published.

I used to use lower grade cards and the buffer will slow at about 10 images.

Real Name
Randy
IMO it is the best dx body ever made, period, any price....

I define best as image quality

now for sports it can be problematic because of the buffer size so just be aware of it and you will be ok, fast cards are a must and keep your foot off the gas, mash it only when you must.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I usually will burst 4-6 shots at once at a softball game but no more than that at any given time. The d700 handles this with no problem since I use a grip with 8 AA batteries. Looks like I will have to do the same for this body?

Real Name
Randy
I usually will burst 4-6 shots at once at a softball game but no more than that at any given time. The d700 handles this with no problem since I use a grip with 8 AA batteries. Looks like I will have to do the same for this body?
it's not so much the 1st burst as it is the 2nd if you don't wait long enough.
if you are shooting for money save your bursts for big moments (TDs,goals, etc). For softball/baseball maybe a play at home but not trying to freeze the ball over the plate, with practice you should be able to do that with a single shot....if your shooting your kids burst on your kids plays

now for sports it can be problematic because of the buffer size so just be aware of it and you will be ok, fast cards are a must and keep your foot off the gas, mash it only when you must.

^^This 100%. Put a grip on it and it balanced perfectly with the 70-200. Put a 70-200 on it and it sings. I still have my 70-200 VR1 and for kids soccer/baseball it is a fantastic combination.

Just picked up the D7100, SB700, and (2) 16GB Extreme Pro 95 MB's cards. Battery is currently charging so I am anxious to see what the 24-70 and 70-200 will produce on this body.

Then say its the best image quality dx body ever made...
Because if I define best as most capabale to get the shot when it counts, it comes a short 3rd on the list...

I usually will burst 4-6 shots at once at a softball game but no more than that at any given time.
There's a good chance that when the action kicks in you'll have the D7100 go "click" on you with full buffer.

Real Name
Randy
Then say its the best image quality dx body ever made...
Because if I define best as most capabale to get the shot when it counts, it comes a short 3rd on the list...

There's a good chance that when the action kicks in you'll have the D7100 go "click" on you with full buffer.
what's 1 & 2?

I'm betting the D300, what do you do when you need iso1600 or even
3200, the D7100 blows away the D300 in that dept. How about a big crop, like twice as much, again the d7100 is the winner.....DR,AF,LCD, the list is long

Try timing your shots, you may find all that bursting isn't necessary.

I will agree the d7100 is not the perfect body for sports but IMO it's better than any other DX body because FPS and buffer size are not the whole story.

Well took out the camera for a test drive at a small family party. I usually have all my bodies gripped so this one feels a little small for my large hands. I took mainly tight portraits of kids and adults and am a bit concerned because I am getting some focusing issues. I changed the AF MODE to single, using AF-C and always place one of the focus points on the persons eyes. I am getting 80% of the pics where there eyes and face are a bit soft while their chest area (shirts, sweater, etc.. ) are razor sharp. So it appears to be some type of back focus. I have duplicated this on both the 24-70 and 70-200. These two lenses are razor sharp on my D700 and it has never been an issue. I have noticed that the AF-C of the D7100 is a lot more erratic than that of the D700 or at least that was my observation. I have never been a fan of AF tuning anything because it seems to be inconsistent when shooting at different focal lengths. Kind of disappointed to say the least because I was hoping this addition to my kit would be a smooth one. I have read about all the focus issues with the D7K series and it was a concern, but I was hoping to get lucky and find a body with minimal issues. I will post a few examples after dinner and hopefully you guys can chime in. I'm hoping that some of this can be user error but I have been shooting for a while and do what I have always done with other bodies. if your focus point is directly on the eyes and the face is soft, something is not right.

Ok so here are the pics to show what problem I am having which seems to be pretty consistent with both of my lenses. Again these two lenses are razor sharp on the D700.

both of these were shot at 1/200, f/5.6, ISO 400, SB700. I usually shoot raw + Jpg so these are the SOOC jpgs

I think I see what you mean. Assuming you focused on the eyes, the focus appears to have "jumped" lower in the frame. Do you have the same issues in AF-S as opposed to AF-C? I was having trouble just yesterday while shooting a bird. The camera kept going in and out of focus on AF-C. I switched to single and got it.

Real Name
Randy
Ok so here are the pics to show what problem I am having which seems to be pretty consistent with both of my lenses. Again these two lenses are razor sharp on the D700.

both of these were shot at 1/200, f/5.6, ISO 400, SB700. I usually shoot raw + Jpg so these are the SOOC jpgs

The images aren't showing up when embedded so here are the direct links

http://Edrod13.zenfolio.com/p720735486/e630700ae

http://Edrod13.zenfolio.com/p720735486/e62b8d805
I don't see an obvious problem but it could be because of the size
If you want to email me a nef I will have a closer look

[email protected]

I think I see what you mean. Assuming you focused on the eyes, the focus appears to have "jumped" lower in the frame. Do you have the same issues in AF-S as opposed to AF-C? I was having trouble just yesterday while shooting a bird. The camera kept going in and out of focus on AF-C. I switched to single and got it.
That is exactly whats going on an a bunch of my pics. I always place the focus point on either the mouth or eyes and have gotten excellent results. Their faces are soft but yet the purple ribbon on their necks along with their shirts are razor sharp.

The camera is three days old so immediately when I turned it on I switched the AF MODE to Single AF, AF-C, Single point. I did this because its the way I have my D700 setup (last 3 years or so )regardless if I am shooting static or dynamic subjects. I did realize last night that on my D700 I do have d21 points instead of single point. Maybe with AF-C its better to run either d9, d21, d51 or 3d instead of single point. I read somewhere on a forum from a D600 user that his unscientific tests show that in single point, the AF doesn't always use the center of the focus point but leans more towards the outside of it. This he believes is why so many back focus/front focus issues have surfaced. Who knows but I might just be going back and returning it today. I purchased this also in anticipation of wedding I am shooting in September so I purchased it early to get accustomed to using it.

Randy I just sent you the NEF. Since the D700 I too have always use AFC D21 and decided to do the same with this body. I just took some more portraits of my kids with AFC D21 and only had about 3 out of the 20 or so shots that I took OOF like my posted examples. Would D9 be a better option?

Real Name
Randy
Randy I just sent you the NEF. Since the D700 I too have always use AFC D21 and decided to do the same with this body. I just took some more portraits of my kids with AFC D21 and only had about 3 out of the 20 or so shots that I took OOF like my posted examples. Would D9 be a better option?
the nef bounced, I guess it was too big

yes 9 pt would be better, less sensors trying to help is IMO always better, especially with a static object....

AFS single point would be best for that kind of shot but I just hate changing it now that it is buried under a button because I might forget I left it on AFS and it doesn't seem to matter for me

AFS single point would be best for that kind of shot but I just hate changing it now that it is buried under a button because I might forget I left it on AFS and it doesn't seem to matter for me
This is why I started using AFC. Ok well I will have to see what happens with D9 but still wondering what to do. Something tells me I wont be happy either way since this body was purchased for paid gigs. I want to feel comfortable knowing that I can reach for either the D700 or D7100 and not worrying if I am gonna miss focus.

Real Name
Randy
This is why I started using AFC. Ok well I will have to see what happens with D9 but still wondering what to do. Something tells me I wont be happy either way since this body was purchased for paid gigs. I want to feel comfortable knowing that I can reach for either the D700 or D7100 and not worrying if I am gonna miss focus.
AFS, AFC, D9,21, whatever, if you focus using the 'hot' sensor in the group the camera should focus at that point.....since your tests are so straight forward (nothing is moving) I'd return it to the seller, I would not send it to Nikon, that can be and endless circus as has been seen by many here.....

here's a d7100 afc d9 shot where there is movement all over the place and the camera did very well......the AF on the D7100 is the same as the D4 & D800 so it should almost never miss

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom