Review D7100 vs. D90 - first impressions

The example pic looks really weird to me.
As if the highlight slider on the tone curve was pushed all the way down to the shadows giving that greyish, washed-out look.

With respect guys(Colin and Randy) it is a fact that some lens body combinations do absolutely need af fine tune adjustment depending on the actual examples owned,
they all vary to a lesser or greater degree.
Also some of us are suitably experienced to know when it is needed, your general
suggestion that it is not needed can be misleading.
Absolutely agree that anyone with a new camera lens should try it at factory default
settings extensively if necessary before attempting calibration.
For example my 300 afs 2.8vrII &D7100 requires a +10 adjustment, fact.

kind regards

Tony
I would add that the +10 setting does not make either the lens or the camera bad. Every part has tolerances. Without going into this in depth suffice it to say that sometimes tolerances stack up in a bad way. In this case AF Fine Tune helps. Before when this happened either the lens (or camera) got returned as a "bad sample" or the combination was shipped to Nikon where they did the Fine Tune adjustment (they could do this long before we got a menu item so we can do it ourselves - and they didn't add it to the menu so we could use it to create OOF shots - they added it because sometimes it's needed, and it works when properly set).

I actually find it amazing that the AF system works as well as it does. A simple analogy explains how it works....You're driving down the road and stop for directions -- the person you're asking (ie, the camera) says go 3 tenths of a mile and turn right. You (ie, the lens) drives 3/10 of a mile and you're either in the middle of the intersection (ie the desired spot) or you're just short (ie, front focused) or just past it (back focus). There is no feedback in the camera to tell it it undershot or overshot the "intersection"....it's just assumed that the lens arrived at the right spot.

Last edited by a moderator:
For what it's worth, after a week of using the D7100 here are my casual impressions.

General handling, ease of use. I much prefer the D7100, shutter seems quieter, viewfinder brighter and the information display easier to see. Controls are pretty much the same, although I really don't like were they assigned the AF/A-S-C, but this is something easily overcome by use. The camera "feels" boxier and small in my hands, with the D90 I never felt I needed the battery grip I will definitely by adding one to the D7100. Using the AE-L lock button for AF is comfortable, no issues with other controls for me. Lens focusing is fast with less hunting using a long telephoto then with the D90 - a big plus.

Image Quality. Once AF fine tune is locked in, nice clear and sharp resolution. Colors seem well controlled , image almost has a "film like" quality (I don't mean grainy!) but all my testing so far has been with a 300mm f4 AFS, so a lot of this also is a quality if the lens. The biggest issue I have so far is there is more then expected color noise in shadow areas, compared to the D90, however this was easily and well controlled by turning off noise reduction in Capture NX2 and using Noise ninja (only a touch needed - dialing back from the profile value of 10 to 7) and judicious careful sharpening. Combating noise from this sensor somewhat negates the extra sharpness gained, but not enough to be a deal breaker, just be aware that you will be doing more file processing to achieve excellent results. Noise in shadows was evident in ISO settings greater then 800, thus I am dialing back auto ISO settings from 1200 to 800 on this camera, which is where I was at with the D90.

Below is an image taken with a 300mm +TC 1.4 shot in the 1.3 crop mode and then further cropped by appx. 40% still yielding an image of around 26 Mpx at 300 dpi. ISO 1100 F6.3 1/800s. For my needs the D90 could have come close to this image quality but the resulting file size would have been around 8-10 mgpx, much too small to up-size to use for stock photography, so the D7100 is a big help in creating more keepers because of resulting image size, not necessarily image quality.

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e249/califlefty/20130403025.jpg
Surely April Fools

Below is an image taken with a 300mm +TC 1.4 shot in the 1.3 crop mode and then further cropped by appx. 40% still yielding an image of around 26 Mpx at 300 dpi

Has to be april fools!! after that statement!!!!!!

Trust me Dave when I say this: It's not just me and frankly the guys I shoot with have also never done a single AF adjustment

And no pp wiz (and I'm not one anyway) can fix OOF
I don't get it. I have had very few fast lenses(1.4 and 1.8) that have not benefited from at least a little lens fine tuning, not as much from the f/2.8 and smaller apertures. Maybe it's just those 1.4 lenses that are making us all nutty. Come to think of it I don't think I have seen you post a lot of stuff at 1.4. I think that may be the secret to enjoying photography, staying away from those lenses...:rolleyes:
:smile::smile::smile::smile: bout time someone feels the same as me. :)
Well I too am in the never had to once do a fine tune. I did try it though once and found it to actually screw things up focus wise. I find that using the sharpening in camera works well for my jpegs.

Back to the subject. That was a good little review you have there. Looking at the files sizes you stated, if they ever come out with a D400, it may force me to get more drive space. The noise thing I have not seen as a real problem myself since it is now luminance, and not chromatic. There is nice detail in your second example, which is always a bonus.
If I remember right there is no AA filter on this camera, correct? This is a good thing as well because then you have no artificially induced softening to keep morie at bay, and a birds feathers can produce it.

Trust me Dave when I say this: It's not just me and frankly the guys I shoot with have also never done a single AF adjustment

My latest camera is the D7000 and my previous "new" camera was the D300.
Never ever I had to fiddle around with the AF of those cameras or that of any other of my cameras.

William Rodriguez
Miami, Florida.

That completely baffles me that you have never had to do that ever? Either you are the luckiest son of a gun or you are a post processing wizard... Or all of us fine tuners could be crazy. :biggrin: I need to get a hold of some of your nefs to see if they are really in focus... LOL
+1

Almost all of my bodies/lenses needed significant fine tuning. Many combinations are significantly OOF to the point of ruining the images when shot wide open: in-focus ears instead of eyes; grass and rocks instead of animals.

After fine tuning, then I just shoot and don't worry about it.

Congrats

All this AF fine tuning continues to baffle me

Anybody just go shoot 1st ?

Consider that I have NEVER fine tuned a single lens on any body and btw your posted pic looks OOF
Glad I'm not the only one. I wouldn't even know how to fine tune.... no time.

I find these fine-tune comments curious! But no time to think about it, I'm off to the race track to meet my mechanic where we will be trying out a different set of tires and and readjusting the timing belt. I know all this tinkering will only get me a few more horse power and a bit more speed, but given it's a Porsche and the money I spent on it, it's certainly worth the effort to make the most of the engineering and it's capabilities. My wife thinks I'm crazy and drives it at no more then 60MPH and she says "what's the problem - it get's me to the supermarket!"

ok - I'm kidding, I'm not married.

Real Name
Randy
I find these fine-tune comments curious! But no time to think about it, I'm off to the race track to meet my mechanic where we will be trying out a different set of tires and and readjusting the timing belt. I know all this tinkering will only get me a few more horse power and a bit more speed, but given it's a Porsche and the money I spent on it, it's certainly worth the effort to make the most of the engineering and it's capabilities. My wife thinks I'm crazy and drives it at no more then 60MPH and she says "what's the problem - it get's me to the supermarket!"

ok - I'm kidding, I'm not married.
i do as well (find the af adjustment business curious), why some need it and some don't, not sure we will ever really know why...

I think most people just stop down a bit to get into their lens' sweetspot when they discover softness in images. The added DoF fixes any autofocus finetuning that may have been needed. Wide open apertures would be a different story naturally.

I've always started at f/8 with my 70-300 since it offered the best IQ and worked from there. Perhaps it was a DoF issue with incorrect focusing in the first place and not so as much a flaw of the optics of the lens as I thought...

The AF fine tune is a disaster waiting to happen. Brand new camera out of the box shouldn't need any AF fine tuning.

I've used plenty of non Nikon bodies to know how good other makers can be for AF accuracy. Nikon's not one of them..not even close

Real Name
Randy
The AF fine tune is a disaster waiting to happen. Brand new camera out of the box shouldn't need any AF fine tuning.

I've used plenty of non Nikon bodies to know how good other makers can be for AF accuracy. Nikon's not one of them..not even close
Brand new camera out of the box shouldn't need any AF fine tuning.
I agree

Nikon's not one of them..not even close
and I respect your opinion

but.......

Real Name
Randy
I think most people just stop down a bit to get into their lens' sweetspot when they discover softness in images. The added DoF fixes any autofocus finetuning that may have been needed. Wide open apertures would be a different story naturally.

I've always started at f/8 with my 70-300 since it offered the best IQ and worked from there. Perhaps it was a DoF issue with incorrect focusing in the first place and not so as much a flaw of the optics of the lens as I thought...

there are plenty of us that shoot wide open and AF is perfect
so let's just say we're lucky:smile:

Doubt it. That lens is known to be best at f/8... why is another matter... but I know I was never truly happy with it until I used started using it at f8 exclusively. :smile:

My 2 cents.Some lens are sharper with AF fine tune some are not.Had plus 15 on one.0 on a couple and plus 2 on another.There is a reason they put it in the camera.In a perfect world with perfect product it would not be needed. You guys who never had a lens that needed adjustment or criticle sharpness is not an issue.Good for you.But the reallity is that some lenses benefit from it.Doug M

My take is I've owned and used many bodies that had no AF adjustment. In the vast majority of cases AF was very satisfactory overall (with other makers) You can get the odd lens that might need a "tweak". My experience of Nikon was a disaster with 3x D90's well off for AF, and 2 trips to service didn't fix it. The other bodies I sent back..out of desperation I got 2 x D7000's both of them out of the box showed notable back focus.

If the AF isn't pretty much bang on, the no degree of AF fine tune is really going to deliver consistent results. My old KM DSLR's spanked the life out of all 5 Nikon's not for AF speed (they are older cameras) nothing to do with less pixels, they are just far more accurate in "most" circumstances. Any camera can miss focus at times, but wow..all the Nikon's I've used couldn't hit a barn door even with AF fine tune.

I wish it wasn't that way, loved everything else about them. But I honestly do think there are very serious QC problems with Nikon, and AF is one of them. AF fine tune isn't a replacement for accurate calibration at the factory

Im with you Randy. Never had to adjust AF and I would probably return the camera if I thought it needed it.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom