1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Review D7200 mini review

Discussion in 'Reviews, Tests, & Shootouts' started by Randy, Mar 29, 2015.

1. Insight ? You give up what ?

Bill, I am hardly the only shooter who came to the same conclusion AFTER shooting thousands of pics with both cameras. Is that more clear now.

2. There's also the theory that early D7100 bodies had sometimes erratic focusing... I bought mine in late 2013, about 9 months after it was announced - no issues! After all the recent QA issues with multiple bodies (D800 left AF, D600 oil, D810 long exposure, D750 flare, ...) I learned my lesson.

Mike

3. docsol

docsol

Mar 20, 2006
    Milton, NY
    Terific

4. docsol

docsol

Mar 20, 2006
    Milton, NY
    Thanks for the insight Randy and Bill. I am almost ready to pull the trigger. My upgrade is a no brainer from a D200! Portraits, sports and family shots. I have been bitten by the upgrade bug.

5. *BBD

*BBD

Apr 5, 2009
    So. IL USA
    Exactly so. The D7200 is clearly a big advance on what I have and should allow easier shooting in poor lighting situations. Thanks again.

6. mdupont

mdupont

Jun 12, 2007
    Centreville, VA
    Ok I have my very old D300. Looking to upgrade. Most of my shots are backyard birds, my boys sports (track, soccer and tae kwon do) and family shots. Was thinking of the D750 but with all the good reviews now thinking of the D7200. You guys are making this hard.

7. Not so hard, really - for birds & sports, D7200. For landscape & portrait, D750. For low light, D750, too. You can shoot landscapes & portraits with a D7200, of course, but you won't get the pixel density for birding with the D750.

There's your answer :) 

Mike

8. Butlerkid

Butlerkid Cafe Ambassador Moderator

Apr 8, 2008
    Rutledge, Tennessee
    Karen
    i-HcxKWHH-Ti.gif
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
    .......never say never........

9. And Mike, I've got to say, the high ISO sample images I've seen look great. ISO 6,400 looks very good and better than the D7100.

I will second Randy and the many others that I've seen complain about the 7100's focus. I would describe it as adequate at best. Granted I primarily use my cameras for either night HS football or HS basketball in dark gyms. My 7100 takes a second longer to acquire focus and loses focus more than the D300 does. In fact, I had really forgotten the difference until I broke out my D300 yesterday for the first softball game of the season. It tracks much better.

I've seen enough so far to give me confidence in the 7200. I'm purchasing it soon and already have my 7100 up for sale.

10. Russ_

Russ_

Feb 20, 2011
    New Zealand
    I would be very happy with a D7200 and consider it my elusive D400 - if it had an AF-on button as well.

11. morcguy

morcguy

Dec 29, 2006
    Minnesota
    The concept of a 'freeze proof' camera is kind of new isn't it. I know that I shot outside in the dead of winter with my D50 and D90, with no problems except really limited battery life. The cameras were used outdoors at -10 F range with no problems. At that temp the whole camera goes in a big ziplock before doing inside, and stays there for at least a couple hours to warm up without condensation forming.

So, I would not worry about a 7200 in cold weather.

12. Butlerkid

Apr 8, 2008
    Rutledge, Tennessee
    Karen
    Why not just program the AE-L/AF-L button to AF-On functionality? Or another button? Isn't that possible?

13. The position of the AE-L/AF-L button on the D7200 used for AF-On feels very comfortable to me so I don't think that would be an issue for you...

14. morcguy

morcguy

Dec 29, 2006
    Minnesota

Same. I will never go back to AF on the release button.

15. Without getting too far off topic, can someone verify my understanding of focusing with the AF-on button. I don't find it useful for my purposes of mainly shooting sports.

Am I right that if you use the AF-on, you can first focus and lock focus on what you want to photograph, then release the button and "recompose" and move the camera around the object you're focused, then press the release to take the picture, with the release button not refocusing and thusly keeping focus on what you originally focus on?

I guess that would be nice for that use. But for myself mainly tracking sports, I just keep my finger half-pressed the whole time for focus and then press when I'm framed well for pictures. Am I missing a use for tracking? I don't see why to use two buttons what I can accomplish with one. But I've noticed other sports photographers using AF-on, so maybe I am missing something?

16. Butlerkid

Apr 8, 2008
    Rutledge, Tennessee
    Karen
    You have described ONE benefit of the using AF-ON.

The second benefit many sports and wildlife shooters appreciate is you can also keep the AF-On button depressed while tracking a moving subject and initiate shutter release when you want to take the photo. This gives you continuous AF tracking separated from the shutter button.

To do this, you must set AF to AF-C not AF-S.

17. I tried it for 3 months and hated it.....you can do the same thing with just the SB

I do occasionally use it when I need to focus and then recompose

18. I didn't :cool: 

19. Russ_

Russ_

Feb 20, 2011
    New Zealand
    But then I have to program AEL to one of the front buttons, as I use that too, so then I have to reprogram another button....
    Basically I just need another button! Though one problem with the location of the AE-L/AF-L button is that it is a bit awkward to use with the ThinkTank rain cover as it's too close to the viewfinder, it ends up being under the neoprene piece around the vf, making it just a tad more difficult to use constantly.

I have the D7100 so know what it's like, it's not the position so much (though it is a bit as I say above), but I'd like an extra button as there's not enough for what I'd like to use!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.