D750 all of a sudden giving FEE errors...

Discussion in 'Nikon FX DSLR' started by NEF Said, May 13, 2018.

1. NEF Said

NEF Said

Aug 22, 2009
    NH, USA
    Hi,

I have a D750 (with grip) that is about 5 months old. Today, turning on the camera, and a 105mm F2 D DC lens attached (which I used the day before without issue and I did not remove it since), I see an FEE error.

The LCD says the memory card may be damaged, so I tried swapping out each of the 3 cards I have, and get the same error.

I disconnected the grip, whose battery was at 50%, so I have the camera battery in the 90% range.

I checked the 105mm and made sure the aperture is at f16 and the lock switch is on, and I see the same error. Tried switching the lock on and off several times, and taking the aperature setting off f16 several times as well. Same issue. Tried dismounting and remounting the lens a few times, and wiping off the ring and contacts on the lens and body with a cloth.

I put on my 50mm G lens, and it works fine. I put on my 28mm F2.8 Ais lens and set the non-CPU setting to that lens, which is manual aperture. The camera doesn't show an FEE error, but the display shows as f4.5, regardless of the setting on the lens.

I put on the 85mm f1.8D lens I have, which is locked at minimum aperture, and it shows a FEE error too.

Seems like an issue with the body.

Any ideas? Firmware? Anything I can clean or check?

:(

2. Try cleaning the lens mount and contacts on the camera.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. NEF Said

NEF Said

Aug 22, 2009
    NH, USA
    Cleaned the mount and three lenses. See the same issue. :(

4. NEF Said

NEF Said

Aug 22, 2009
    NH, USA
    Tried that, but it says my serial number is not one of the affected units.

I'm not seeing shading in images, but D or manual aperture lenses are no longer working correctly on the unit. D lenses are showing FEE error, Ais lenses are not showing the aperture setting correctly on the body (and it is not changing, as I change the aperture).

5. Sorry to here this Paul, did you use alcohol on the body contacts, seems odd one lens will work and other swill not. I hope you still have a warranty .

6. NEF Said

NEF Said

Aug 22, 2009
    NH, USA
    I uses the sensor cleaning fluid and swabs that I have. The camera was bought in November, so under warranty. It looks like none of the Ais or D lenses are working with it (as of today), worked fine before this and I didn't change lenses between yesterday and today. The G lenses I have work.

• Informative Informative x 1
  7. pforsell

pforsell

Jan 15, 2008

How is the AI feeler tab in the body? Moving smoothly?

Take the lens off, move the AI feeler tab and look at the aperture display on top of the camera. Does it behave in a sensible way?

8. NEF Said

NEF Said

Aug 22, 2009
    NH, USA
    It seems to move smoothly, and has a firm resistance (spring) to go back to the home position). Travel goes the full distance of the slot, maybe a bit over a half inch.

The top display does not change, when I move the tab. Maybe because there is no lens sensed at all? It is showing f8 right now.

When I put on the 28mm f2.8 Ais lens, (and had the non-cpu setting for that lens), it was showing f4.5 on the display, regardless of the aperture setting.

9. I'm not a techie, but considering that you're getting the memory card reading and experiencing the problems with the lenses, which are two completely different issues, I would get the camera checked under your warranty protection.

By the way, I've experienced the memory card error message once on two different cameras over the years. Both times, I simply removed the card and reinserted it to solve the issue. That hasn't worked for you.

10. It is under warranty. Stop messing with it and send it to Nikon.

11. NEF Said

NEF Said

Aug 22, 2009
    NH, USA
    Yeah, I'm going to call them tomorrow. Seems like I have to send it back to them? It was bought at B&H photo.

12. West

West

Jan 2, 2012
    Vancouver BC
    I guess you already tried doing this ...

Somehow I remember that removing the battery for about 10 minutes fixes some things as well.

If all fails just send it in. The techs tend to tweak the AF and performance beyond it's original settings, plus you get a clean sensor. I have always found performance improvements after getting a body back.

Last edited: May 13, 2018
  13. pforsell

pforsell

Jan 15, 2008
    I agree with everybody else, send it in. Something is awry, since the AI feeler tab travel in my cameras is over an inch, and the reading changes. It begins from the non-cpu lens setting I have input (f/1.4 or f/2.8) and changes all the way up to f/16 (or f/22 or f/32) dependending on the selected lens data. This is the only mechanism that communicates the aperture from lens to camera with non-cpu lenses, and is also used with D-type lenses, if one sets the aperture control to the lens aperture ring instead of the sub command dial.

Mount replacement, I’d guess, is in order.

14. NEF Said

NEF Said

Aug 22, 2009
    NH, USA
    Haven't tried the battery pull. Did that now. No change.

15. NEF Said

NEF Said

Aug 22, 2009
    NH, USA
    Yeah, I was hoping it was a quick fix...but I guess not.

The tab on my body is at the 9 o'clock position, and the slot is is in, is about 1/2" wide. Likewise, on the lenses the little moving tab only has about a 1/2" travel. On the Ais len, you can clearly see the tab moving, no more than about a 1/2", when selecting the different aperture settings. It is at the 3 o'clock position, relative to the top of the lens, where the scale is show.

These are FX lenses. Are you using DX lenses by any chance?

I've never had to send in a body. Should I call them, before going through the repair process?

I take it I need to do the on-line repair request? I tried to search for a repair facility, but as soon as I put in the body model, it said something about having to send directly to Nikon, and showed some on-line form.

Thanks!

16. While you're waiting to obtain the proper information to send the camera in, you could try one last thing: remove the battery, turn the camera on and leave it on for 24 hours. That drains the camera's electronic charge. Determine whether the camera is operating properly the next day. If I remember correctly, this process removes basic information that had been stored such as the date and time, which will then need to be set as if you had purchased the camera new.

You have nothing to lose by trying that. It worked once for me though the situation that led to having to try it was different than what you are experiencing.

17. NEF Said

NEF Said

Aug 22, 2009
    NH, USA
    I just filled out the on-line form for repair and have boxed it up to send to Nikon. Will send it out today. Fingers crossed that they can resolve it quickly...

18. NEF Said

NEF Said

Aug 22, 2009
    NH, USA
    Thanks for all the ideas and suggestions everyone. I'll let you know what Nikon says, once they look at it. I haven't shipped it yet and I already miss it!

19. kilofoxtrott

kilofoxtrott European Ambassador Moderator

Dec 29, 2011
    Tettnang, Germany
    Or they'll send you a new one.
    Have you saved your settingd yet?

Regards
    Klaus