D750. To sell or not to sell: that is the question

Real Name
Andy
My first DSLR was the D750. Having shot micro 4/3 for a few years before the D750, and film for three decades before that, the D750 was a game changer. It literally improved the experience of photography and helped me grow in the craft.

A little over two years ago, I joined the Nikon Z mirrorless bandwagon. While I do exercise the D750 now and again, now that I have two Z bodies, it isn't really needed as a backup.

With 63K shutter actuations (actually less, because Nikon installed a new shutter as part of a recall some years ago), it probably still has much remaining life. Even with the cosmetic flaws that resulted from carrying and using it as I did, it should fetch a fair sum on the used market. But I am torn - part of me wants to keep it for nostalgic reasons while the other part knows it is logical to eliminate it from my kit before it dwindles further in monetary value. Thoughts?

This is a very individual decision. I sold my D750 a few months after getting a Z6 and haven't missed it. It is a wonderful camera, and certainly the best I had ever had up until the Z6, but it just no longer fits my uses.

Its probably just nostalgic at this point. It was my first Nikon FF camera.

When I see someone shooting with one or talking about one, showing pictures from one, it brings back some good memories. I guess I have a soft spot for the D750. It was and still is a great camera.

When I sold my Z7 the buyer wanted the four F lenses I still had. The only glass I have now is Z. That is a big enough deterrent to me to not buy another D750.

I bought a Z6_2 recently and it performs as good if not better than the D750 at a lighter weight. I don't see myself buying another D750 but it will always be a favorite.

If you keep it for nostalgic reasons, consider displaying it in some special way that regularly reminds you of its game-changing characteristic in the context of your decades of making photos.

EDIT: Now that I've thought about this a bit more, consider that it might not be worth keeping if you're not going to regularly enjoy seeing it and being reminded for just a couple of seconds about how important it was to you.

Real Name
David
First, doesn't a shutter replacement come with a shutter count reset?

Second, do you ever shoot event with on camera flash? Last I knew this is an area the DSLRs still have an advantage especially in lower light.

Real Name
Andy
First, doesn't a shutter replacement come with a shutter count reset?
You're probably right!
Second, do you ever shoot event with on camera flash? Last I knew this is an area the DSLRs still have an advantage especially in lower light.
This is an interesting point. Since it's not my favorite thing to do I never think about photographing events until someone offers me a job covering one. I've only had one in the last two years, and the Z 6 seemed to do fine, but I didn't really consider if I sacrificed any performance compared to the D750. For low light scenes, do you recall in what ways DSLRs do better? TTL? AF accuracy?

Real Name
Andy
The only glass I have now is Z. That is a big enough deterrent to me to not buy another D750.
I'm still straddling the fence, with only two native Z lenses, and the rest F mount. And until there is a crop frame Z body with AF as fast and accurate as my D500, there's good reason not to upgrade the 70-200 f/2.8E to the S.

Real Name
Andy
it might not be worth keeping if you're not going to regularly enjoy seeing it and being reminded for just a couple of seconds
Indeed, if I kept it, the reasons would be for the novelty and nostalgia. In Florida our house is only 2/3 the size of the one we had in Illinois. Displaying unused cameras is really not an option.

Real Name
David
....This is an interesting point. Since it's not my favorite thing to do I never think about photographing events until someone offers me a job covering one. I've only had one in the last two years, and the Z 6 seemed to do fine, but I didn't really consider if I sacrificed any performance compared to the D750. For low light scenes, do you recall in what ways DSLRs do better? TTL? AF accuracy?
This article from DPReview talks about it. I'm completely mirrorless now, but I've also retired from shooting professionally. I didn't want to deal with taxes, insurance, etc for an occasional request. I purposely sold off all my DSLRs and glass (a nice rolling bag full) so I had a good reason to say "No, sorry I can't shoot one more event".

https://www.dpreview.com/articles/0...-pro-feature-that-no-mirrorless-camera-offers

Real Name
Andy
This article from DPReview talks about it.
Very informative. I actually never used the AF illumination feature, as I felt it was too distracting, so its absence on the Z 6 didn't bother me. I can see that it would be useful for a darkened room such as a wedding reception dance floor - a situation I actively try to avoid photographing.

NCV

Real Name
Nigel
I try my best to sell gear I do not use anymore.

I am debating the F Z conundrum. I still have native F glass that will not work well on the Z, so for the time being I run two systems.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom