D750 vs D780 Comparison

As a D750 owner I was excited to hear about a updated model,Heck just the better metering alone almost makes it worth it.I don’t know what they are thinking at Nikon eliminating any grip though,a grip is a must for me so I’m hesitant to purchase the D780.

Sadly (?), I'm a bit of a "late bloomer" when it comes to FX. I purchased a D750 brand new only 5 months ago. Works with my great with my accumulation of old AF-D lenses. I have no plans of upgrading any time soon, not so much because of my now obsolete dslr equipment but because I really don't like 3 things about mirrorless;

1. I don't like evf. Optical is my preference.

2. I don't like the feel of smaller cameras with big lenses (I don't mind using my m4/3 Lumix GX85 as a travel point and shoot, but for more serious work I prefer my larger D750, or even my Canon 6dmk2).

3. Not a fan of touch screens on the rear. My 6dmk2 has a touch screen and I find myself preferring to flip it to the hidden position most of the time.

Overall, I don't have the neither the need nor desire to upgrade at this time. I still have much so to learn with my D750!

Last edited:
Well I was looking at the 750 since the first of the year. I did look at the z6 too, but I have too many screw drive lenses and evf made me seasick, and I lived on a boat for 4 years. So since my summer vacation, and some other trips I had planned, has been canceled I decided to go ahead and splurge on the d780 with the 24-120vr. Only thing I would really have liked would have been ibis and a grip but you can't have everything. I upgraded from a d7000 that was not focusing anymore. So far I have been happy but have been so busy at work that I have not really had the energy to play with it more than taking some shots out the kitchen window. Now for some new lenses!

Real Name
Paul
It’s been a while since the last post. Did anyone here get a D780? I’m waffling between this and a Z6 but since I eventually hope to be shooting events, especially high school, again once this coronavirus business is done I’m not sure about the Z6 frame rate through the evf.

It’s been a while since the last post. Did anyone here get a D780? I’m waffling between this and a Z6 but since I eventually hope to be shooting events, especially high school, again once this coronavirus business is done I’m not sure about the Z6 frame rate through the evf.
If you are going to shoot in the theater/performing arts center, the e-shutter of the Z6 wil make a BIG difference. You do not upset the audience with shutter noise. I had parents complain to my student about the camera shutter noise of her dSLR.

The BIG advantage for me is the EVF, when shooting in difficult lighting, like in the theater. I can see what the exposure will look like, in real time, and adjust the exposure BEFORE I press the shutter. This is a LOT easier and faster than the shoot, chimp, adjust,repeat process, that I have to do with a dSLR.

I shoot sports with a D7200 and an Olympus EM1-mk2. I think the Z6 should be fine for sports.
12fps is plenty fine for most sports.
For night and gym sports, to me, the important item is a FAST lens, so that you are not shooting at ISO 12800+.

Real Name
Paul
Indoor sports - basketball and volleyball, outdoor sports - soccer and track a field. 12 FPS is with autofocus only. Is there much variation in exposure from frame to frame with this mode?

Indoor sports - basketball and volleyball, outdoor sports - soccer and track a field. 12 FPS is with autofocus only. Is there much variation in exposure from frame to frame with this mode?
I don't think so.

When I shoot in the gym, I shoot in manual mode. The light level in the gym is constant, so I don't need to use any auto exposure mode. That prevents exposure confusion when the lights are in the frame. I understand that some gym lights change intensity (kind of like 60 cycle flicker), and that could cause some frames in a burst, to look under/over exposed. I don't recall seeing this in my pics.

Outdoor in the sun is similar, the lighting is stable, so I can shoot in manual mode, if I want to.
Shade from the trees, drive me nuts. I have found no reliable way to properly expose the players, when they run in and out of the shade.

Outdoor night games, under lights, I will split, some games I shoot fully manual, others in aperture priority.
The exposure issues that I have are
- from the 10 yard line in, it is down 1 stop from the center of the field.
- the corners are down 2 stops.
- background of the end zones are DARK, which makes auto exposure metering an issue. Since I am on the field, I am shooting across the field.

> DAY games are so much easier to shoot.

Doesn't the D780 have silent shooting?
You need to read the details.
According to the D850 photographer, her silent shutter was NOT silent. It spaced out the motions of the mirror and shutter, so they did not happen so close together, thus lowering the perceived sound.
Normal shutter operation is: mirror up, shutter opens, shutter closes, mirror down.​
The "silent" shutter is: mirror up, pause, shutter opens, shutter closes, pause, mirror down.​

If you shoot in Live View, then you are using the silent e-shutter.
But then you don't have the camera up at your face, and are shooting it like a big P&S camera.

But, I have read some manufacturers implement the e-shutter different, and the mechanical shutter may still be used. The devil is in the details.

I'd be all over the D780 if they made a grip, even if it was just a battery pack like the MB-N10 for the Z5/6/7. Nikon's cost cutting measures just loses sales for them. The Z cameras aren't for me, I prefer Sony for mirrorless, but Nikon DSLRs still serve a practical need for me.

I'd be all over the D780 if they made a grip, even if it was just a battery pack like the MB-N10 for the Z5/6/7. Nikon's cost cutting measures just loses sales for them. The Z cameras aren't for me, I prefer Sony for mirrorless, but Nikon DSLRs still serve a practical need for me.
I don't pay that much attention. There's no contacts for a grip? What are they thinking?

JLH

if I wore my 750 out I would probably go for a 780, but alas I only have 71970 on the odometer so expect to double that before it gets replaced
I am in that same boat. I agree that the new 780 has a lot to like (and a few things that are less so popular) but my D750 has a lot of life left in it and I am not one to just run after every new model that comes out even if they have a few upgrades. Heck, I have yet to master everything my D750 will do! No, I am saving my money, I have lots of cameras that are better than I am so why change?

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom