D750 vs D780 Comparison

Real Name
Andrew
I think Nikon should have made the D6 the last "true DSLR". Everything else should be a "hybrid", meaning that they should keep the Z system fully mirrorless and the future...but every f-mount DSLR should retain the mirrorbox for the sports shooters, but have the same sensors as the Z6/Z7/Z50 in it. Us the viewfinder as optical, and if you want the mirrorless functions - use the rear LCD. Viewfinder mode uses the old, tried and true AF modules, but rear LCD uses the new on sensor phase detect.

Would kill it for those that need both, or video and want to stay in f-mount a little longer.

Then again, I was saying Nikon should have done that 2 years ago. What I just stated above might be too little too late and actually hurt the Z mount sales too much to even be a consideration.

if you want the mirrorless functions - use the rear LCD.

Ack! I hate using a rear LCD unless the camera is on a tripod and there is so little light that I can easily view the LCD; if I have to use the rear LCD to enjoy the benefits of a mirrorless camera, I would never buy it.

Real Name
Andrew
Ack! I hate using a rear LCD unless the camera is on a tripod and there is so little light that I can easily view the LCD; if I have to use the rear LCD to enjoy the benefits of a mirrorless camera, I would never buy it.

but there are thousands that would! that is the market that Canon and Nikon are struggling to get.

JLH

"The law of diminishing returns" comes to mind here. I am fully confident that the D780 is more capable than my D750. But the law says when you reach a certain point the gains are small compared to the price.

If you are not familiar with the law :
"A principle stating that profits or benefits gained from something will represent a proportionally smaller gain as more money or energy is invested in it."

For me that pretty much sums it up. I am lucky and am in a position where I can afford to upgrade but I chose not to. Right now I would not gain enough for the money spent. Now, a nice new 400mm F4 PF lens would get my interest! (and likely my money)

There are ways I could definitely see this as a significant upgrade if I were still doing events. There were several times during an event I'd love to have had touch screen / live view working more effectively than it did on the D750. A mirrorless would work, but a DSLR with these capabilities would've been a better option for me.

I shot an event last Saturday. I used my D750 with zoom lens and flash and used my Sony A7III with fast prime lens shooting natural light and angled shots. Having both comes in handy when I want the instance shot response of a DSLR OVF (no EVF/LCD lag) and when I need the flexibility of mirrorless with high/low angles.

Real Name
Andrew
First, they need more than thousands to adopt the product. Second, I seriously doubt that those that would are willing to spend $2300 for a camera not including any lenses.

They are willing to spend $1000 to $1500 on a phone with a camera with less capabilities.

the camera companies need to give them something compelling that they are familiar with. Us old dinosaurs are only going to be able to support them With the current mindset for so long. Otherwise, the major camera companies will end up being Google and Apple.

and,please don’t take my numbers literally. It is just a figure. Obviously it will take more than a few thousand. More like hundred of thousands. I know this.

Last edited:
Real Name
Andrew
Yes, true, but collections of data indicate that the camera is more important to most users than even call quality.

they need something compelling in a form factor they are used to

Real Name
Andrew
That's really interesting. I suppose call quality becomes less and less important the more and more people use their phone to exchange emails and text messages.

I know my daughter looks at me weird when I ask her to call me. And none of her friend call. It’s all texting, instagram or Snapchat.
She is in the early 20 something demographic.

unfortunately, we are going into the minority of the photography world. I predict that we will start seeing a shift in ergonomics and looks of cameras here in the next 5-10 years.

Real Name
David
I shot an event last Saturday. I used my D750 with zoom lens and flash and used my Sony A7III with fast prime lens shooting natural light and angled shots. Having both comes in handy when I want the instance shot response of a DSLR OVF (no EVF/LCD lag) and when I need the flexibility of mirrorless with high/low angles.
I wasn't thinking of angles. But on the dance floor trying to get an over head in the middle circle or a bride/groom/Mitzvah raised in a chair so you can get a straight shot and not a angle would be handy.

I was thinking tripod stuff. While not as much of an issue for details it would be handy. It would have been really nice for the candle lighting at Mitzvahs. I could have one camera on the tripod and the other in hand when necessary.

Last edited:
I wasn't thinking of angles. But on the dance floor trying to get an over head in the middle circle or a bride/groom/Mitzvah raised in a chair so you can get a straight shot and not a angle would be handy.

I was thinking tripod stuff. While not as much of an issue for details it would be handy. It would have been really nice for the candle lighting at Mitzvahs. I could have one camera on the tripod and the other in hand when necessary.

As these guys are now in their mid 20's, here are a couple of examples. I never found the live view on the D750 reliable enough for the first shot never mind the other 2.

In that case, I think a Z body (plus FTZ adapter) would also work for tripod use as opposed to getting a D780, unless you need decent OSPDAF and an OVF in one camera. I'm not sure if I care having a merger of the two technologies, unless Nikon is willing to go all out and integrate IBIS into their DSLRs. Plus omitting XQD in the D780 messes up workflow. I'd rather have two D750 bodies both running SD cards or a D5/D850 + Z6/Z7 running XQD. Maybe I'm a bit OCD (and while I actually prefer UHS-II SD cards), Nikon has sort of messed up memory card workflow amongst Nikon camera users. I'd much prefer XQD/CF Express + UHS-II with all Nikon FX bodies, with the D5/D6 using XQD/CF Express exclusively. At least Sony is adamant running UHS-II across the entire line.

I'm wondering if the D850 successor or upcoming D6 will have IBIS? If not, I'd rather just run two separate kits. In regards to my equipment scenario, my Nikon DSLR kit is optimized for event work, while my Sony A7III kit is optimized for fast prime and travel shooting. I probably would of done the same had I gone with Z bodies, but I don't care for 1 XQD card slot and Sony has a bigger native prime lens selection which I prefer. While I'd love to get a D780, as an event photographer you need two cameras, and my D750 bodies are much cheaper and probably outputs similar images. To me it's just not worth dishing out over $4K USD for two cameras just so I can have slightly better live view! Plus I just gaffer tape the logos so I don't get distracted by brand bias and it helps me treat my gear as merely tools! :D :LOL:

Here's how I'm using my dual system setup right now -

Nikon DSLR for flash:
49453414738_97c7877be6_b.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

LFCSA 4th and 5th grade Fundraiser Class Dance by Jonathan Friolo, on Flickr

Mirrorless Sony for fast prime details:
49453882901_41ac96f77a_b.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

LFCSA 4th and 5th grade Fundraiser Class Dance by Jonathan Friolo, on Flickr

Last edited:
Having originally said that I wasn't interested in this one, I think I could change my mind. One or two reviews are coming through now and there are features that have improved from the D750 that would be nice for me to have. The even better low light performance is one and focus shift is another. Only not at the current price and that, combined with having used my budget getting the D500, means I will be waiting a while.

Latest threads

Top Bottom