D750 w/new (used) Nikon Zoom-NIKKOR 80-200mm f/2.8 AF D IF ED Lens

Real Name
Dan
My first post here. If I’m in the wrong place my apologies!

I just bought a used 80-200mm lens for my new D750. I had been contemplating several longer lens options, however in years past I never needed more than 200mm. I like the idea of the f2.8 aperture along with the ‘pro quality’ build.

my questions are:

1) anything I need to be aware of when I first mount this up? (It’s in the mail)

2) any other suggestions?

thanks!
3396053D-4BC1-4A0F-974F-FA9893E821FF.jpeg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Congrats and welcome to the Nikon Cafe!

I used that lens for several years before I bought a 70-200 VR. I made some great photos of the family and kids sports - soccer and volleyball. You have to be careful of the M/A focus switch. They are known for breaking as mine did but I used gaffer tape to keep the ring in place. My brother in law used one for years on D750 for his kids swimming meets. He too was very happy with the lens and photos from it.

200mm at 2.8 can get a bit soft, stop down and keep your shutter speeds high since you won't have VR. Overall it's still an old school sharp lens, capable of pro results! Also use the focus limiter when shooting far subjects for faster AF response.

Real Name
Dan
200mm at 2.8 can get a bit soft, stop down and keep your shutter speeds high since you won't have VR. Overall it's still an old school sharp lens, capable of pro results! Also use the focus limiter when shooting far subjects for faster AF response.

thanks! Most of my shooting will be landscapes so not too worried about the VR.

Im not gonna say I’m as good as I was in college, but back in the F2A w/200mm prime lens days, I was very capable of doing full frame headshots without loss of clarity.

and if I no longer have it, we’ll, there’s always the tripod.

It's a great lens. I sold mine when the MA switch cracked. It can still be fixed for £100

Well mine arrived today & looks like new!

you guys run any filters on it or not?

Haha, that's an old age debate unto itself! It's up to you. Honestly I don't find filter use to be an issue on telephoto lenses for protection, but on wide angle lenses certain filters can affect corner sharpness.

you guys run any filters on it or not?

I use a UV filter only to make it easier to clean the front element/filter in the field.
I have had many instances of stuff spotting the filter that I did not notice till I got home, many hours later.
Some of those "stuff" have been a PITA to clean off.

Latest threads

Top Bottom